uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speeding problem - authorities unaware or disinterested ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoff

PostPosted: 07/08/06, 11:09    Post subject: Speeding problem - authorities unaware or disinterested ? Reply with quote

So, cars continue to be driven in our village in excess of the 30mph limit, especially along the 'Yawl straight' on Saturday nights when you can regularly observe cars doing over 50mph.

The authorities must be aware of this issue, why do they do nothing ?

Why is the 30mph signing so sparse ?

Must there be carnage before anything can be done ?

Does no one have any idea how we can do something about this ?

G.
ALEXFIDO

PostPosted: 07/08/06, 11:41    Post subject: cars Reply with quote

yes i have an idea but its probably too far fetched to work,it is to get like minded people to get their cars out on a saturday evening and convoy back and forth between the A35 and the talbot arms at 33 mph.
If you are overtaken then they must be breaking the speed limit,i say 33 because iread some years ago that there was a 10% allowance for error ,dont quote me on that.
It could work in as far as the cars coming into uplyme could use the village hall car park as one turning point and another one to be somewhere before the a35 ,we could have spotters in and out of the cars to take numbers,we could even have a bbq with entertainment,then we would all jeer at them as they drove past.
and then hand all the info to the police.happy days
geoff

PostPosted: 07/08/06, 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

Good plan Very Happy

My point is really that the police/council/parish just don't seem to be interested in trying to solve this problem as nothing is being done.

An even more effective DIY plan than a convoy system would be for all the residents of Lyme Rd and Yawl to park their cars out in the road. It is a 30mph zone with streetlights and no yellow lines so presumably this would be quite legal. The main drawback is that I wouldn't want to be the bloke that goes out to scrape the smouldering human remains off the road in the early hours of Sunday mornings.

In my opinion, only physical speed reducing measures will work in this situation - ie. cameras or humps. The latter option is relatively inexpensive, requires no maintenance and is highly effective. In Exeter there are several residential roads now protected by humps, but obviously out in the sticks we are just not worth the effort.

G.
Donna22

PostPosted: 10/08/06, 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

The police were at Uplyme Village Hall with there speed guns last night for a while, So maybe they have been reading this and taken note.
ALEXFIDO

PostPosted: 11/08/06, 22:57    Post subject: speeders Reply with quote

Its friday night and ive had toomuch to drink,4 pints,just to relay from another part of devon that speeders are not only common to uplyme.
Matey in his flash bmw cruising very close to the old posterier while going up honiton hill toward sidmouth was getting more and more frustrated due to some very deft driving skills not allowing the rodentious weasely featured ratbag to pass.
We got to sidmouth when goatbreath decided to make his move,stupid boy made two fatal mistakes 1:dont speed 2:dont hack off a local.revenge is sweet .happy days
Rhodie

PostPosted: 13/08/06, 08:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fail to see the logic of ALEXFIDO’s reaction to the ratbag driven bmw. Taking the law into your own hands could easily be counter productive. Matey must have been so wound up once he got past that there could be no accounting for his actions later on. I know it is difficult when this kind of thing happens but notching up the agro can’t be the answer. For all concerned wouldn’t ALEXFIDO’s best action have been to let the idiot get by ASAP?

Please discuss.

I only hope that that the 4 pints didn’t immediately precede the incident.
ALEXFIDO

PostPosted: 13/08/06, 19:53    Post subject: speeders Reply with quote

Oh,contrare at no time did i stop him from over taking and i had slowed down which had he chosen to he could have overtaken and at no time did i break the speed limit.happy days
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Road safety All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: