uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uplyme 3 Pymore 1: a 2007 win!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Uplyme Football Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gilly

PostPosted: 28/01/07, 17:25    Post subject: Uplyme 3 Pymore 1: a 2007 win! Reply with quote

Our football team are starting to show the kind of quality and passion that will see us stay in the league, and it couldn’t have come soon enough!
From the start of the game, we controlled possession and carved out some good chances; as usual, Gavin Fowler was a willing runner, and took up some intelligent positions off the shoulder of defenders.

Defending has been our Achilles heel, but you wouldn’t have thought so yesterday. Pip and Wallace were towers of strength in the centre, cutting out attacks and springing raids forward with good passing. Robbie and Myrtle in full back positions were alert and strong when it mattered.

Our first goal came from some good passing through midfield, which was finished well by Joel, who went on to claim a hat-trick. The half finished with us well on top in every area, but unhappy with 1-0, as it didn’t reflect our domination.

And, yes, the second half started with a slap in the face. Pymore strung a good move together, and the score was level within 2 minutes. But- unlike in the first 4 games- our heads stayed up, and the football champagne kept flowing. We got a deserved lead mid-way through the half, and then capitalised on Pymore pushing forward, to seal a sweet victory.

Overall, it was a great game to play in, and I was chuffed to skipper the team to a much-needed win. No one player stood out, as it was a super whole-team performance- apart from the Pymore keeper, who pulled off 6 or 7 fantastic saves.

So, we have Winsham in the cup next week, and then back to the push in the League.
It surprises me to see that these reviews get 200+ views, but it is a sign of the community interest, which is great. I write these because we get NOTHING from the Lyme News in terms of coverage, which is pretty disgraceful in my opinion. He could always cut and paste these!
Anyway, cheers.
Very Happy Gilly
geoff

PostPosted: 29/01/07, 09:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great result Gilly. Thanks for the report !
Good luck with Winsham !!

GB
Lyme News

PostPosted: 29/01/07, 10:39    Post subject: The Swallows Reply with quote

I write this post in response to 'Gilly's' final comment on Saturday's game with Pymore.

Gilly said: "I write these because we get [b]NOTHING[/b] from the Lyme News in terms of coverage, which is pretty disgraceful in my opinion. He could always cut and paste these!"

I believe the Uplyme skipper is referring to the [b]NOTHING[/b] entitled:
"Swallows begin rise" in which Andy Cleere told of his 'no holds barred chat' with the team that helped sput them on to a 8-2 victory over Chard Rangers (Dec 8 - 25 lines).
Or was it the [b]NOTHING[/b] that started:
"Swallows must begin to soar" in which the same co-manager explained the need for points to avoid a relegation scrap (Nov 24 - 53 lines).
Alternatively it could have been the [b]NOTHING[/b] that read:
"Neighbours scrap it out" when Roger Smart told how his side were unfortunate not to pick up a point against local rivals Lyme Regis Reserves (Nov 17 - 18 lines).

The Lyme News appreciates that every club likes to see their reports in print. And also understands that when they turn in a good performance they like to see some extra space for their efforts.

However, the paper prints just one page on Perry Street League football and at the latest count that included 16 different teams playing in five divisions.

Therefore it cannot dedicate a large amount of space to each club on a regular basis. Priority goes to the clubs in the Premier Division (Lyme Regis, Beaminster and White Horse) and then the remaining space is hopefully shared equally among the 13 teams in the lower divisions.

Uplyme Football Club can rest assured they are given the same fair crack of the whip as Division One rivals Netherbury, Thorncombe, Pymore etc.

Unfortunately the Lyme News was unaware of www.uplyme.com until today and with that in mind how could the Sports Editor have "cut and paste these" reports.

Why, when you are posting these match reports onto www.uplyme.com could you not have 'always e-mailed them to Lyme News'.
For their e-mail address is printed on the sports pages each and every week alongside fillers that read, for example;
"Read all about it" Do you have a sports report or story for Rob Atkins. Call 01308 455906 or e-mail sport@bridportnews.co.uk
"Sports Desk" contact Rob Atkins 01308 455906
"Got a story" call 01308 455906
"Keep in touch" the News is always pleased to hear from individuals with items of sports news of interest to our readers. Write to 67 East Street, Bridport, Dorset, DT6 3LB, telepone 01308 455906 or e-mail: sport@bridportnews.co.uk

I do not wish to cause offence with this post but merely point out that sports clubs in the area can be pro-active if they feel their coverage is inadequate, rather than moan behind the relevant person's back or on websites that he/she may never read.

The Sports Editor of the Lyme News is always pleased to have reports sent, e-mailed or phoned in because it saves time in chasing the relevant information.

Also, regular contact in terms of match reports can only enhance your coverage. If the Swallows become reliable and pro-active in handing over copy they will naturally be first in line when extra space is available or wet weekends allow scope for more in-depth reports.

Take the initiative.
gutter

PostPosted: 29/01/07, 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds reasonable that - you can't expect the poor old Lyme News to know what's going on unless you tell them.
Gilly

PostPosted: 29/01/07, 19:44    Post subject: Super reply from the Lyme News Reply with quote

I think that the reply is very good- and very fair- although to take the word NOTHING and then pick out 2 pieces that HAVE been included, when we have played roughly 15 games including cup and league, is taking editor's licence a little far!

And using the word "moan" was a little strong....I think

AND to admit that the Lyme News never knew that this site existed.... well, that is now remedied, so that can only be a good thing. Shouldn't they have known, by now; you are close neighbours?

Anyway, look out for a positive letter to the Lyme News....with no moaning; i promise.

I thought I might get a little praise for the creative report....

Razz
Donna22

PostPosted: 02/02/07, 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, i think you had a good point and saw the comments your wrote in the Lyme news today, The local papers always get it wrong and sp[ell peoples names incorrect or get the wrong person scoring etc, so its good to have a report on Uplyme.com from a player and its gud to read

Good luck tomorrow lads

Donna
Lyme News

PostPosted: 05/02/07, 11:16    Post subject: Dead Horse!! Reply with quote

Not wanting to flog a dead horse here but I feel I must reply to Donna and her post which said: "The local papers always get it wrong and spell peoples names incorrect or get the wrong person scoring etc!"

All i can say is...that's News to me!!
Please, please, please...if we get something wrong tell us! We are not psychic and cannot be everywhere at all times. If no one tells us we have spelt someone's name incorrectly how will we ever know!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I understand people want to vent their frustrations but I have no sympathy if the proper measures have not been taken to prevent it happening.

If we are told how to spell someone's name but continue to do so incorrectly then yes, be my guest, complain to your hearts content!

Why don't you list your squad right here in black and white for all to read? Then there's no excuses for names to be wrong! Also, as I have said before, now that I am familiar with the website it will be used to help the reporting of Uplyme's games in the future.

Short of blood I can't give a lot else...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Uplyme Football Club All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: