uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rohaise Court

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Thomas

PostPosted: 03/10/07, 15:21    Post subject: Rohaise Court Reply with quote

There used to be a large house in the centre of Uplyme called The Rectory. Mr Ethelston lived there for 48 years. Then in 1935 a new Rectory was built in Rhode Lane and the large building became the Devon Hotel. So far, well and good. Now this building, which has been sensitively turned into a House, a Duplex and five apartments is to be called Rohaise Court. Who on earth is Rohaise and how could they choose such a silly and unmemorable name?
The obvious choice of name should be The Old Rectory. If they cannot stomach that, what about Ethelston Court? That would tie up nicely with the school, Mrs Ethelston's next to the church.
But Rohaise Court! I do think Uplyme should be up in arms at such an unhistoric name. I hope many people will protest. Jack Thomas
geoff

PostPosted: 04/10/07, 09:06    Post subject: Ugh! Reply with quote

Hi Jack,

Yes, I quite agree - where did it come from - Google and Wiki searches do not reveal anything relevent?

Is this perhaps a case of Ronald Harry and Isebella being the names of the developer's kids or similar ? Or was he a Mr. Rohaise seeking immortality ?

I suppose the bottom line is that the owner of a property can call it what they wish but as you say, what a pity the developer didn't consult any locals.

I think for properties over 50 years old, the name should only be changeable by license after consultation with the Parish Council.

Geoff.
douglagh

PostPosted: 03/01/08, 13:00    Post subject: Rohaise Court Reply with quote

Confused Well thanks for filling me in on the history of Rohaise Court.....there is none! Agreed it seems a daft and unneccessary name when there were obvious and good historical ones available. Ony hope I suppose is new residents may get together and get it changed?
geoff

PostPosted: 10/01/08, 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doug,

Are you a resident of Rohaise ?

Cheers,
Geoff.
douglagh

PostPosted: 10/01/08, 16:16    Post subject: Rohaise Court Reply with quote

No, I live on Springhead Rd but we had a look around the flats with some friends who were thinking of moving there, hence a passing interest. Some of the flats are excellent, some have some head banging beams in them.
Paul and Hilary

PostPosted: 21/01/08, 22:45    Post subject: Rohaise Court Reply with quote

On the subject of Rohaise Court.. Talking to the first new occupants living in rear upper floor flat and the developer, there is apparently a covenant that fobids the use of ''Rectory'' in the title. So i'm told! But I do not know where Rohaise Court came from....... We still call it ''The Devon'' and always will

Paul : :
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: