uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blog: the pully string things
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Blog of a village groundsman
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALEXFIDO

PostPosted: 04/06/06, 16:52    Post subject: the swamp Reply with quote

Well the differance between last weekend and this is almost unbelievable,we all trooped off to axminster school on a day dominated by filthy weather.we won the toss and elected to field,yours truly was held down and forcibly dressed in the acutriments of a wicket keeper.
After 40 overs of fielding in drizzle we managed to bowl them out,at tea the older members of the squad stuffed their faces while the youngsters were hung up to drip dry.Question:how hard it is to score 98 runs?well dear readers you wouldn,t think that 22 yards of good old english soil could turn into a ripping,spitting ,hissing monster.
The team found it very hard to cope with conditions,where as my self being a past member of the all england sub aqua cricket federation 39-54 found the conditions perfect and managed to grind out 40 n.o. which i believe in federation circles is a british record.We manage to eek out a win with a score of 99 for 9,and as luck would have it we found the lyme regis lifeboat moored up in the main carpark,what forethought they must have realised the conditions were against us. Mr. Green happy days
ALEXFIDO

PostPosted: 11/06/06, 16:24    Post subject: halcyon days Reply with quote

Last weekend saw clyst hydon put on 214 and we got them with one ball to spare despite the attempts of some idiot at square leg calling one run short with four balls to go.
This was an outstanding performance by bowlers and batsmen alike.
This saturday we made our way to stockland where the yarcombe captain asked if we could try not to hit any straight sixes as the lady who owns the land on the other side of the hedge would not give the ball back,typical of people from outside,the club has been in existance since 1902 and they have been there for three years,be ashamed be very ashamed.grrrr
Any way we lost the toss and were put in to bat,yours truly and young mark bray opened and scored at a cracking pace,it was n,t long before the youngster got his maiden league fifty very well deserved.It was at this point that i started to get a twinge in my right calf,mark got out on 62 and dave norman came to the crease and one over later the calf went.
Re-enter the foray mark bray as my runner,dave set about the bowling with me trying to hit boundaries to stop any confusion,i managed to get to 109 n.o and dave got an absolutely cracking 100 n.o and all made possible by some excellant running by mark,cheers mate.
Our turn to field and we were getting the odd wicket and enter the arena neil"the swinger"price with what can only be described as a master class of bowling with some balls being unplayable and this was backed up by some quality fielding and to top it all "the swinger" got a hatrick,by the cringe we,ll dine out for months on this one.happy days
ALEXFIDO

PostPosted: 25/06/06, 22:30    Post subject: conger saves the day Reply with quote

Well the firsts have won two games with the trots,sorry on the trot,which was far cry from the beginning of the season.well dear readers the truth can be revealed,some key members of the first team had fallen foul of a group of international hypnotists.
It all started when they had joined a course at the "give up smoking in four weeks"club,my suspicions were aroused when the address given was unit fumf,panzer strasse,uplyme docks everybody knows there isnt a panzer strasse any where near uplyme docks.
The hypnotists had done their worst as somehad forgot how to bat and bowl,an emergency commitee was convened and it was decided to enter the firsts into the lyme regis international fish slapping contest,lets face it if youve been slapped around the chops with a 126lb conger a few times would bring any one to their senses,the commitee whish to express their gratitude to mrs edith conger for her efforts on the cobb.
All the clues were there as to who was behind these scurrilous deeds,the missing submarine from uboat pen 2 at uplyme docks was a dead give away.so i decided to bug himmel the teutonic hounds mobile bone,and lo and behold he was having secret talks with the kapitan of lenn c.c ,one roberto fouleiri who we were due to play on the saturday.
Oh it did give us a warm glow when steve"the stumps"batey allowed them to get to within three runs of victory before having their last man caught.
my god these blokes could talk for england while fielding,it reminded me of that film when matey was caught"silence of the lenns".happy days
ALEXFIDO

PostPosted: 26/06/06, 22:54    Post subject: thieving swines with a bigger plan Reply with quote

If you remember dear readers a few weeks back three very shifty types nicked the kids playground from uplyme,never to be seen again.
Well i can reveal that with the help of my undercover agent disguised as a middle distance runner we have gathered some startling information,now i have had to change the identity of said agent who for security reason will be called his holiness st luke of the reed.
We have gathered evidence which proves that the new town near broadclyst will be made up entirely of second hand bits,no we are not mad,my cohort has reported that these beastly rascals had stolen the centre of plymouth.Well, i found this hard to believe until today i had to go exeter,some one has to,those thieving swines had nicked great swathes of the high street.
That was it ,i mounted the trusty old brough superior and raced back,myself and st luke called a meeting of the very secret uplyme underground sentinal guard,why we have to hold these meetings undergound is beyond me it plays havoc with me whites.All the signals went out,and the people of uplyme&lyme regis can sleep easy in their beds,icant give too much away but ican say that the wessex stags are patrolling the cobb and have threatened to fire mr dick richards at anything that moves.
Mark colley is on forward deck duty maning the new stropforth&wittuck harpoon gun as the lyme lifeboat slithers round the bay in stealthmode ie the crew are wearing pink fluffy carpet slippers as these wear found to be the quietist.
Then the last line of defence,the talbot terrors.twenty two pub cricketers plus reserves,i cant reveal any more except to say that mrs edith conger will be guarding the dog biscuit emporium,and mr paul messer will be donning his white scarf and flying jacket and will sleep in his morgan motor vehicle while it is parked next to the village spitfire.halcyon days
ALEXFIDO

PostPosted: 18/07/06, 00:08    Post subject: im back Reply with quote

I must apologise for my absense,but since my last visit i have been away on some pretty daring undercover work,and my place down the ground was taken by a very close austrian relative duke alexandro von wafflekrap,and reports that have come back is that he lives up to his name.
I have discovered where all the town centres are being stored,unbelievable though it may seem they are on massive barges floating at scapa flow and are being guarded by the what remains of the once great tibetan navy.now it doesnt take a scientist to work out that the absense of our skipper this week was no co-incidence,the excuse given was a trip to stornaway,well who do you think is keeping an eye on procedings up north?
Anyway closer to home,there have mutterings around the village of strange muffled knocking noises at various times during the day and night.Well dont be alarmed it is the uplyme sentinal guard working tirelessly strengthening all the foundations of the homes and buisinesses in the local area,the reason you have hardly heard them is because they have been using the newly patented whittington&blackmore jack hammer silencer,should this fall into the wrong hands the effects could be devastating.happy days
ALEXFIDO

PostPosted: 23/07/06, 14:05    Post subject: the match Reply with quote

The team made their way from various points around east devon,to the deepest darkest interior known only to the locals and a select few as clyst hydon.
Sir toby the accurate purposefully strode to the middle and promptly loss the toss therefore we were doomed to field in what can only be described as weather akin to a turkish bath,ahh that takes me back,any way thats another story.
I was yet again held down and squeezed into the clothing of a wicket keeper,we took to the field,during the course of their innings everybody chipped in,but the one thing which sticks in my mind is one of the best catches ive seen in years.
The skipper in a fit of genious posted b.j.rattenbury to the third man boundary and sure enough the batsman went for the shot and the ball sailed into the air towards bj.
It seemed to all that were watching that the ball was falling short,but never one to give up bj caught the ball at shin height and finished the move off with a forward roll,by the cringe that stirred the teams blood.
Then to top it all bj was put on to bowl,well i cant read what he bowling when im batting so i had no chance when keeping wicket.
It must have looked strange to onlookers as both bat and wicket keeper were totally bamboozled at same time,we managed to keep them down to below 200.our was good with an excellent 50 from davenorman and me chipping in a few and mark brimicombe hitting 30,the innings was finished with wallace and george hitting fours at will,a cracking game and sure bj will dine out for weeks on that catch.happy days
ALEXFIDO

PostPosted: 04/06/07, 20:17    Post subject: been away Reply with quote

hello dear readers its been almost a year since my last witterings,its because ive been away to foreign climbs.
some of you may have thought it was me with whom you were conversing with but you would be wrong ,it was in fact my doppleganger his highness baron von wafflecrap.
he had undergone intensive training in the art of impersonation at the headquarters of mi10 or meeow to those in the know,but he hasn,t quite got the slow stooped limping walk that you see at the end of a match.
i of course can not reveal where these headquarters are as it would not be fair on the families involved who put up a heroic front.
there is M and Q the leaders of this organisation who must remain nameless as it wouldn,t be fair to either mark brimicombe or toby newson to reveal their identities.
i can reveal that this weekend that one of our top operatives whose codename is harvey did not get his leg injury from playing football,but from foiling a gang from bridport who were kipper laundering.
i can reveal harvey single handedly saved uplymes smoked haddock industry.
happy days fido
ALEXFIDO

PostPosted: 08/07/08, 23:06    Post subject: Henrius Barlowus Reply with quote

Aha dear readers,i have returned from travels far and wide only to discover i have been usurped,upon further investigation i have learned my successor is none other than, Henrius Barlowus.
Well a mention in the Rangoon regal or the Katmandoo clarion would not have gone amiss,anyway i digress,i was sat outside the old pavilion when gazing toward the river ply i noticed a huge rowing boat being tied up.
I was about to barate the offender for flagrant misuse of the submarine pens,when i suddenly recognised those neo classical greco features.
What could i say.what could i do.only one thing seemed appropriate,a low slow bow was the order of the day,and thus we greeted each other as equals.
Such greetings are only used for people of high reverance ie umpires,groundsmen,scorers and tea personell a very select club to which you have to be intensly vetted.
that reminds me where did i put my nutcrackers,christmas is just round the corner.
happy days
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Blog of a village groundsman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: