uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wind Farm in Lyme Bay ? Vote now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Wildlife and the Environment
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you in favour ?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

geoff

PostPosted: 10/06/08, 20:15    Post subject: Wind Farm in Lyme Bay ? Vote now. Reply with quote

At last, a viable, clean, green alternative to pumping and burnng more oil.

Harnessing the wind energy that's freely available around our shores makes so much sense in these carbon-consious times. Build them now and never mind the cries of NIMBY !

One suggestion - since the power will be generated off our bit of coast, will we get a discount on electricity charges? Wink

Geoff.
Martyn

PostPosted: 19/06/08, 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's it likely to be?
geoff

PostPosted: 19/06/08, 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lyme News story wasn't very specific, though it did show a vague diagram showing them in an area in the middle of the bay, about 10-15 miles offshore.

I would imagine at that distance, even really big turbines would be almost invisible and certainly inaudible.

Geoff.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 20/06/08, 08:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll put my yes to this poll. But to be fashionable we should question what the people of Uplyme really mean by a yes or no vote Wink

I do wonder though if a thorough assessment has been made in comparing wind power to wave power in this location.

I notice that the fishing “industry” is concerned that their interests would be ruined by a wind farm in the bay. Jim Portus, of the South West Fisher Producers Association said,
"Lyme Bay is virtually the entire fish production for south Devon," ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7436451.stm) But this same fraternity is up in arms regarding the ban on the destructive bottom trawling and scalloping in the same sensitive area. (Lyme Regis News 19 June 2008) Confused

Quote:
One suggestion - since the power will be generated off our bit of coast, will we get a discount on electricity charges?

"Our bit of coast" Surprised but these turbines will be off the coast of everywhere between Start Point and Portland Bill. Then everyone in the other wind farm locations will require a rebate and ultimately the whole country. Our true rebate will be in lower carbon emissions and all will benefit. Bring it on.
geoff

PostPosted: 06/07/08, 07:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rhodie,

Good to see you back again !

My comment was meant tongue in cheek - I can't imagine for one minute any such rebates would be considered.

This is a classic NIMBY situation. No one is ever going to stand up and say "I desperately like the idea of 500 wind turbines on the hill behind my house". Quite honestly though I doubt you'll be able to even see these towers miles out at sea in the middle of the bay.

What evidence is there that wind turbines would in any way affect the fishing ? From the little bit I know about fishing, don't fish tend to congregate around sunken man-made objects such as wrecks etc ?

Geoff.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 19/02/09, 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is agreed that long-term fish stocks would benefit from the construction of a wind farm in the bay. Apparently the problem is that the closeness of the turbines makes it impractical to use long trawling gear in their vicinity. Jim Portus of the South West Fisher Producers Association (see my post above) should therefore delight that “virtually the entire fish production for south Devon” will benefit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Wildlife and the Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: