uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fire in Barbers Lane

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Driver

PostPosted: 26/05/09, 18:00    Post subject: Fire in Barbers Lane Reply with quote

I'm told that a flare was fired from UpLyme and set fire to trees, but didnt set fire to the cars parked nearby, but the main concern is that the fire service could not get into Barbers Lane because of the new wall. The fire crew resorted to using the hydrant in Whalley Lane. good job it wasn't a house fire!

The wall with lorry stuck!

http://www.gtphotosport.com/fire/pages/27032009039.htm

The fire damage to the hedge

http://www.gtphotosport.com/fire/pages/27052009074.htm

Last edited by Driver on 27/05/09, 14:35; edited 2 times in total
geoff

PostPosted: 27/05/09, 08:44    Post subject: Unadopted = exempt ? Reply with quote

Aren't there regulations about reducing the splay of a junction ?
Or perhaps Barber's Lane exempt because is unadopted.

How much has the new wall narrowed the entrance ?
How much damage was done ?

G.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 27/05/09, 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a picture of the wall for those living some distance from the scene?
Driver

PostPosted: 27/05/09, 14:19    Post subject: Re: Unadopted = exempt ? Reply with quote

geoff wrote:
Aren't there regulations about reducing the splay of a junction ?
Or perhaps Barber's Lane exempt because is unadopted.

How much has the new wall narrowed the entrance ?
How much damage was done ?

G.

Barbers Lane is a footpath not a highway(East Deven footpath number 11) it wasn't the splay it was the norrowing about 50 metres up, one man lost about ten metres of hedge plus the door and window in his garage and almost his shed. If it had been a house fire they would have been in big trouble

See first post for pictures
Rhodie

PostPosted: 27/05/09, 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for putting the pictures on. I take it that there are properties beyond where the wall narrows the track. If so what about access and what were they doing building a wall in such a place?
Driver

PostPosted: 27/05/09, 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhodie wrote:
Thanks for putting the pictures on. I take it that there are properties beyond where the wall narrows the track. If so what about access and what were they doing building a wall in such a place?

On that side no on the other side yes. There is one property either side at the bottom but then 3 to the left or opposite side of the wall above; as I said in my original post some time back (http://www.uplyme.com/debate/viewtopic.php?t=570) the wall was built without planning application or consideration for the users of Barbers lane. The owners of the lane are unknown the last documented owner was I think was the owner of the diary farm that was the fields before it was split up into lots. I had expressed concern to the fire service, but until know there appears not to have been any action!

The lane is designated a footpath with a right of way for the 3 houses above Penwaye granted so there is no action available to district or local council as they donít own the lane is a civil matter. Then only person who could take action is the owner of the lane who is unknown, the wall is clearly outside the boundary by several feet, so unless somebody can either trace the owner or his descendants or some law can be enforced for safety ie access by fire, police, ambulance, I donít know what the answer is and remember we had to call the air ambulance a few weeks back when the owner of the woods was crushed by a felled tree, so thatís two incidents in a month

new link to images www.gtphotosport.com/fire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: