uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Railway to return to Uplyme ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoff

PostPosted: 29/10/06, 18:53    Post subject: Railway to return to Uplyme ? Reply with quote

Interesting to read in the local press that moves continue to reopen a rail link to Axminster.

Chris Carson of the Lyme Regis News says:-

"PLANS to reopen the Lyme Regis to Axminster branch railway line are back on track - and being heralded as a possible solution to the resort's summer traffic chaos. The team behind the multi-million-pound project say it could deliver thousands of tourists to Lyme without clogging up the centre with cars and coaches. And freight could also be brought in by the trains and transferred to smaller vehicles for delivery to local shops."

For full story :-

http://www.bridportnews.co.uk/display.var.990827.0.bluebell_line_back_on_track.php

The group has its own website at:-

http://www.lymebilly.port5.com/history.htm

Personally I would be very much in favour of the rail link being reopened as a feeder to the mainline rail services from Axminster to London or Exeter, making it a credible part of the transport infrastructure for the village (as opposed to a superficial tourist attraction running for a few months in the summer only)

G.
geoff

PostPosted: 08/11/06, 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone heard any more about this project since ?

G.
geoff

PostPosted: 15/11/06, 08:29    Post subject: Reply from Ian Kelly Reply with quote

I received the following response from the project on Monday
(reproduced here with permission)...

AXMINSTER LYME REGIS RAILWAY ASSOCIATION
THE OLD COACH HOUSE CHURCH STREET AXMINSTER EX13 5AQ
01297-35560
http://lymebilly.port5.com

Dear Mr Browne

Thank you for your posting.

The article perhaps did not make clear that the intention woud be to have a throughout the year commuter/passenger service (see text extract below) in red. The success of that intention would ultimately depend on take up. One of the reasons that the Beeching axe fell on the line in the 60s was that passenger loads had dropped to the extent that the line had become unprofitable.

It is amazing that at that time with the increasing amount of cars in private ownership that it had not been possible by extrapolaion to forecast that within not too many years the road network would become saturated and accordingly perhaps it might again become necessary to seek another way of transportng travellers to their intended destinaton.

Of course political decisions are generally made 'in the short term' to provide an instant solution. Since it is branch lines that were principally affected by Beeching what should have happened was to leave the track bed in place and perhaps offer the facility 'for sale' as the base for a private operation. By another route this became the starting point for most of the restoration that has taken place by enthusiasts over the last 30 years.

Thank you again for your posting perhaps you may wish to consider joining us to support the ultimate goal.

Regards

Ian Kelly
(Admin)
geoff

PostPosted: 19/07/09, 06:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if this project is still 'alive' ?

Their website is no longer running, but Google suggests that there may have been a plan to reinstate the line at a cost of around 12m

G
Driver

PostPosted: 20/07/09, 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand this is more dead than a duck! But I would love for it to happen
Donna22

PostPosted: 20/07/09, 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be amazing to see it but dont think it will ever happen,
geoff

PostPosted: 22/07/09, 07:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, I fear you may both be right. The website is down and I got no response from David Prosser (david.prosser2@virgin.net) who is the only contact I have for the project.

Without a doubt there would be many serious hurdles including the stability of Cannington viaduct and several missing bridges - the one over Whalley Lane for a start. Then there's the problem of people having built garden sheds etc where the track bed was Surprised(

It would be a worthy project for anyone with some serious cash (or the ability to raise serious cash). In fact 12m sounds a lot to you and me, but in government terms it's nothing at all.

G
Driver

PostPosted: 22/07/09, 08:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just garden sheds there are some house on the old line of the track in Barnes Meadow and Travis Perkins on the site of the station!
geoff

PostPosted: 30/07/09, 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure Driver. From Google Earth it looks like its just the bottoms of gardens. It's not easy to see, but it doesn't look like any actual houses are built on the line. Can you work it out from the link below ?

The station could be on the scrappy waste land below the doctors surgery where they just park the odd ambulance etc at the moment.

G.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=uplyme&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=23.015808,25.620117&ie=UTF8&ll=50.733613,-2.956256&spn=0.002995,0.005171&t=h&z=18&iwloc=A
Driver

PostPosted: 30/07/09, 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the bridge on Whalley lane is about the "e" of the second Whalley lane from the right, (the tree line to the right is the track past Whalley lane) which would put a line of houses on the "track". The fence line you can see running right to left at the back of the new house is the old railway line fence still will its concrete posts and wire(I been and had a look)! So the track must have been about 10 metre north of the fence line right in the middle of the house's but as the road is still incomplete we could run the track up the middle!

I've always fancied setting up a park and ride with steam train from outside Lyme, to any where we could fit a station, then use trams to get up and down to lyme go down Broad street and the right at Cob gate to the cob along the cart road then back!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: