uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uplyme Chauffeur in 1939

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJM

PostPosted: 24/03/10, 23:49    Post subject: Uplyme Chauffeur in 1939 Reply with quote

Does anyone have any information on a chauffeur called Ernest Allen who worked in Uplyme in 1939? He was a Rolls Royce trained chauffeur and I presume was attached to one of the large houses. He had a son also called Ernest who was about 8 at the time and went to Mrs Ethelstons. Ernest, the son, remembers living in a lodge house but nothing more.
geoff

PostPosted: 25/03/10, 07:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Rhode Hill lodge - did Rhode Hill have a chauffeur ?
Are you related to Ernest's family?

G
AJM

PostPosted: 28/03/10, 18:13    Post subject: Uplyme Chauffeur in 1939 Reply with quote

Ernest is a very ggod family friend. He and his father both had a great interest in Bugattis. I was hoping the school might have pupil historical records
geoff

PostPosted: 29/03/10, 09:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try the school...

office@woodroffe.dorset.sch.uk

G.
AJM

PostPosted: 29/03/10, 19:10    Post subject: Uplyme Chauffeur in 1939 Reply with quote

Hi Geoff
Thanks for that email address. Would they have the records for Mrs Ethelstons as well as Woodroffe?
geoff

PostPosted: 30/03/10, 09:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know, I just assumed that he would have gone on from Mrs.E's to Woodroffe, but perhaps not. The email address for Mrs.E's is admin@uplyme-mrsethelstons.devon.sch.uk if you want to contact them. I'm afraid I don't know what records they keep.

Please let us know if you do find out more about the family ?

G.
jeff

PostPosted: 31/03/10, 21:05    Post subject: Chauffeures in Uplyme. Reply with quote

Although I have no knowledge of Ernest Allen c. 1939, I thought you may be interested to hear about another chauffeur in the village in around 1930. Walter Bond, who was my great uncle, was the chauffeur at 'Waterside', Uplyme. It was then a large private house. Walter was one of six children and originated from Broadway (near Chard). In his retirement he returned to Broadway and there he died aged 69 years, in 1962. He passed away peacefully whilst driving his pony and trap in Broadway one Sunday morning. The pony delivering him home to his front gate. What a peaceful way to go!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: