uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reduce the number of forums...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Help and Suggestions (for this website)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rev

PostPosted: 25/03/10, 13:45    Post subject: Reduce the number of forums...? Reply with quote

Hi Geoff/members

How about reducing the number of forums on here? There are too many - some are underused and some are hardly used at all. I'd try and get it down to about 5 by merging some of them together. That way, you could easily scan which forums have new posts, etc. I think this might have the benefit of encouraging more people to participate.

What do you reckon?

1) General
2) Nature and Environment
3) Transport and Infrastructure
4) Sport
5) Feedback and Suggestions

Last edited by Rev on 25/03/10, 13:53; edited 1 time in total
Rev

PostPosted: 25/03/10, 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...

General would be:

Community, Beyond the Boundary, Classifieds, Advice, Recommended, Young Ones merged together

Nature and Environment would be:

Wildlife and the Environment, Gardeners World, Blog of a village groundsman merged

Transport and Infrastructure would be:

Road Safety, Planning merged together

Sport would be:

Uplyme and LR Cricket Club, Uplyme Football Club, Uplyme Youth Football Club merged together

Feedback and Suggestions would be:

Feedback, Help and Suggestions (for this website) merged together.

(I clearly have too much time on my hands)
Rhodie

PostPosted: 31/03/10, 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed it would be handy if all the forums could be browsed without scrolling down. I have looked at variations on the Rev’s suggestions and come to the conclusion that reducing the number of forums by combining some is not necessary.

To overcome the need for scrolling down the Forum Index list to find the most recent posts it would only be necessary to have the list sorted by “Last Post” (I don’t understand how the list is presently sorted). There is little doubt that this is possible for if you click on “View unanswered posts” at the top right of the Forum Index you will see that the resulting list is indeed sorted according to date (most recent first)

Perhaps the administrator can do this without more ado and we can all benefit by a more logical arrangement.
Rev

PostPosted: 01/04/10, 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are hundreds of posts then it would be worth having lots of forums - but some of the forums are hardly used. Also, you get more cross-traffic from posters as people (who currently only view and post in one forum) would see other posts and respond, etc.

I ran a community forum site that started with 5 forums and now the site has over 50,000 registered members and we still have under 20 forums...
geoff

PostPosted: 07/04/10, 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this suggestion. Have been away over Easter, but will look at this ASAP.

G.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 10/04/10, 06:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the “Rev” has been in the dark, as I was, regarding a little feature on the forum. It has been pointed out to me that there is a little used link “View posts since last visit”. Unfortunately the link was in very small type and easily overlooked and ignored, Geoff has now enlarged this up. The other problem is that of course you have to be recognized by the software meaning logged on and I was in the habit of only logging on when I was posting. Therefore the link was just not there. I have now corrected my ways and visiting the forum for a check on new posts is no longer the chore of scrolling down and searching the dates of the last posts.

With this is there a reason for the number of forums to be reduced?
geoff

PostPosted: 10/04/10, 07:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please give it a try and see how you like it - let me know if you think the link should be even bigger or more obvious.

We have also fixed the code so that when you go to a current topic from the home page of uplyme.com by clicking 'more' next to a posting, you are taken directly to the new posting not (incorrectly) to the first post of that thread.

G.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Help and Suggestions (for this website) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: