uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can Uplyme become a Libertarian Society?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
voluntaryist.uk

PostPosted: 25/03/10, 11:58    Post subject: re: no converts yet, Reply with quote

geoff wrote:
To be honest, I don't think anyone is converted yet,
G.

thanks for that Geoff, you do pose a difficult one, Ok I'll have a go....

if we did live in a voluntaryist society, and the problem of global warming had to be tackled (if you believe in man made global warming that is) then the best way would be to allow you the opportunity to use your power (wealth, etc) to do something about it, your wealth buys alternatives to dirty power.

A voluntaryist society would mean more choices of providers of services as there would not be the same constraints on setting up business as there are now.

In fact in a properly free society you could set up your own company selling clean power far easier than if you tried to do so now. no taxes, no legislation to hamper working practices, no restrictions on how or who you sell to, no need to worry about complying with government regulations, etc, etc, completely free & possibly the best priced clean power supply in Uplyme.

the main stumbling block to business & innovation is government regulation without this we'd all be much more prosperous we'd also probably only have to work less too.

I know the next question is who'd look after the roads? what about police & other security services? more of that in my next post...
Rev

PostPosted: 25/03/10, 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in this society, I would be free to set up a coal-fired power station and sell the electricity cheap - assuming people would be interested? No government regulation? Cool. Cool
voluntaryist.uk

PostPosted: 25/03/10, 12:11    Post subject: re: coal fired pwer plant Reply with quote

sure, but who would buy from you, you would have to convince us that your product is the best & if we saw all that black smoke coming out your chimney, well, I don't think many would.

So, to recap you are free to sell what you like, so long as you do not force anyone to buy your bad product. Unlike now, we have to buy the governments' bad product, no choices, just take it...
Rev

PostPosted: 25/03/10, 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but I wouldn't tell them it was from a coal-fired power station. I would call it ECO-Energy, that should convince them - well, at least long enough for me to make a killing. The cool thing is that I'm free to do this because there are no rules! Smile
voluntaryist.uk

PostPosted: 25/03/10, 12:24    Post subject: you are poking fun, aren't you.... Reply with quote

I get your drift, years ago yep, you could have got away with say, i am Eco-xzy & people would have to believe you.

today we have this wonderful invention called the Internet, you'd soon be found out! shame on you! (lol)
geoff

PostPosted: 25/03/10, 12:25    Post subject: Re: re: no converts yet, Reply with quote

voluntaryist.uk wrote:
...if you believe in man made global warming that is) then the best way would be to allow you the opportunity to use your power (wealth, etc) to do something about it, your wealth buys alternatives to dirty power.

I know of no credible, published scientist who questions man-made global warming, so yes I do believe in it. Sadly, however, there are people who don't believe the science, or who simply don't care and I really don't see any way of getting these myopic morons out of their gas guzzling monster 4x4s other than to increase the tax on fuel to a level where it truly reflects the damage that is being done.

Wouldn't giving them a voluntarist option simply mean they continue to pollute because they choose to disregard the science and don't care that we could leave an almighty mess for our grandchildren to clean up.

G.
voluntaryist.uk

PostPosted: 04/04/10, 17:17    Post subject: rule I would like to see abolished Reply with quote

geoff wrote:
rule I would like to see abolished - how about the County Council policy that dictates that streetlights have to be on all night in the village even when there is no one in the street ? Why not switch most of them off at midnight and save a pile of cash and a vast amount of unnecessary CO2 emission.G.

I was talking to a friend the other day about your streetlight idea. He (used to work for county street lighting) stated that the sodium light bulbs use between 2-3 kw / hour!

I was stunned to hear how much they were using. I think your idea would be a great one. IE: switch off the street lights at midnight & then switch then on again at say 5-6am

I have no idea how many street lights there are in Uplyme, but it has to be a couple hundred or so. What a huge saving that would be & Uplyme as a whole doing it's bit to save money & the dwindling oil reserves.

What do you think?
Rhodie

PostPosted: 06/04/10, 06:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

We seemed to have strayed along way from Uplyme Becoming a Libertarian Society to the possibility of turning off street lighting at night. If we want to discuss the pros and cons of such action then perhaps someone could start a new topic.

But whilst on the subject I very much question the 2-3 kw/hour that the friend of voluntaryist.uk said that sodium light bulbs consume. Have a look at http://www.soxlamps.com/history.htm and you will see that each lamp consumes 160 watts at the most. But of course in a libertarian unregulated society his friend, any individual, company or organization can make such unsubstantiated statements.
voluntaryist.uk

PostPosted: 06/04/10, 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhodie wrote:
But of course in a libertarian society....

You are right, this is not the place for that comment, I'll post it elsewhere.

As for the Libertarian cause in Uplyme, perhaps this would help:

http://www.la-articles.org.uk/libertarianism_a_short_introduction.html

over to you....
geoff

PostPosted: 10/04/10, 07:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a brief look at the link.

The article referenced describes the libertarian standpoint quite clearly and there are certain principles which in my opinion make sense.

They suggest that generally less Government is probably a good thing and I would agree that we are over-governed. It would now be virtually impossible for someone to be born and live in the UK without having a NI number and a record somewhere.

The decriminalising of drugs would be a good thing, allowing this serious issue to be dealt with by professionals within the health system and taken out of the hands of criminals. A fortune would be saved in police time chasing dealers and sorting out strings of petty-burglaries that fund addict's habits.

One of the main problems with their philosopy seems to me to ba that whenever the issue of the weak or poor is raised, they are dismissed as something that 'charity' will fix. No mention is ever made of how that would work in the absense of state-funded benefits.

Libertarian thinking is an interesting philosophical concept, but I suspect that if it were to be applied to human society it would lead to an increasingly wide gap opening between the enlightened, rich 'haves' and the downtrodden (and probably armed) 'have nots'.

G.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: