uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The end of Petrol and Diesel in Uplyme?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Driver

PostPosted: 15/06/10, 07:33    Post subject: The end of Petrol and Diesel in Uplyme? Reply with quote

I hear that Uplyme Petrol Station may not be with us much longer! There we redundancies there on Monday and the rumour mill is also suggesting the lease has been sold. Also work remembering there is a planning consent for houses on the site. Anybody know any-more?
geoff

PostPosted: 16/06/10, 07:46    Post subject: The kiss of death from Tesco ? Reply with quote

So has the filling station been Tesco'ed out of existence ?

If it does close down, there will only be one shop left in the village and price-wise, the Post Office isn't exactly aimed at the average villager buying their groceries.

G.
Driver

PostPosted: 16/06/10, 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear stories from the "old ones" of a butchers, several pub's and an assortment of shops in Uplyme!
geoff

PostPosted: 17/06/10, 06:52    Post subject: UIoLI Reply with quote

Hmm, not just the 'old ones' even. When we moved here in 1989, the village had five seperate businesses which have now closed...

Black Dog - public house/restaurant
    Uplyme Butchers - family butcher
    Devon Hotel - hotel/bar
    The Stores - general groceries, fresh bread/pasties etc
    New Inn - public house

So why are they no longer trading ? Because we didn't really want them anymore - that's why. Of course everyone thought they wanted them, no one was against them and it's great to think that your village is self-sufficient, but the problem was that almost everyone shops elsewhere for the bulk of their requirements. Probably in supermarkets where they can drive in, park, buy everything in one hit and pay less than the village shop. Never mind the quality, feel the convenience.

G.
Driver

PostPosted: 17/06/10, 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

How very true, I made an effort to when ever possible to "fill up on fuel" when I needed it at the local garage but often paid 2-5p a litre over the Tesco price! But it would be just as easy to fill up on route back when I've been away, who was it who said "Use it or loose it".

From what I hear there is no definite public plan yet, other than the staff have been given 30 days notice.
goldenmason

PostPosted: 17/06/10, 20:19    Post subject: Re: The end of Petrol and Diesel in Uplyme? Reply with quote

Driver wrote:
I hear that Uplyme Petrol Station may not be with us much longer! There we redundancies there on Monday and the rumour mill is also suggesting the lease has been sold. Also work remembering there is a planning consent for houses on the site. Anybody know any-more?

I would like to put the record straight. Uplyme Services will not be closing. Please remove these unfounded rumours from your web site as this is detrimental to this local business and legal advice is being persued.
Thank you for your co-operation. X
geoff

PostPosted: 17/06/10, 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Goldenmason and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure everybody in the village will be very glad that the rumours of closure are unfounded. I assume you speak on behalf of the current tenant ?

Like Driver, I had also heard the rumour 'on the local grapevine'. As you will already have seen here, nobody wants the filling station to close and indeed the general gist has been in support of local businesses, suggesting that locals should use their village businesses more.

Let's hope that this scare will make people think and increase trade for the filling station.

Geoff.
Rev

PostPosted: 18/06/10, 00:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly the Uplyme village shop seems to be busy and this is good news. No, it's not exactly cost effective for a weekly family food shop, but it's very useful for quality bits and pieces and our family use it at least once a week...

A quick browse in the farm shop in Kilmington and it seems to compare very favourably with supermarkets and offers good food. Anyone use it regularly?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: