uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Talbot Arms Quiz Night

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodie

PostPosted: 22/11/10, 18:20    Post subject: Talbot Arms Quiz Night Reply with quote

Anyone know details of the quiz night that will be staged on Friday at the Talbot Arms?

The following article was recently in the View from Lyme. Is it just an unfortunate inclusion of a piece of irrelevant information regarding Dr Bester jolly to the Andes or is this part of the fund raising exercise?

29th October 2010
LYME REGIS: Uplyme quiz night for Cancer Research
A quiz night will be staged at the Talbot Arms, in Uplyme, to boost local dentist Dr Paul Besterís fundraising efforts for Cancer Research UK.

Dr Bester, from the Kent House Dental Practice, and his partner, Kirsten Taylor, will be climbing Anaconda, one of the highest peaks in the Andes, in January next year.

Paul and Kirsten are collecting sponsorship at their surgery where over £1,300 has already been pledged.

They will also be hosting a quiz night at the Talbot Arms, their local pub, on Friday, November 26th, courtesy of landlord Steve Gardner.

The quiz will be open for teams of six who will be asked to contribute £5 a head to include refreshments provided free by Steve.

Quizmaster for the night will be Robin Hodges from the Pinhay Nursing Home, and a raffle has also attracted some great prizes.

Those interested in entering a team should contact 01297 443442 and ask for Ali or Linda.

Rev

PostPosted: 22/11/10, 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to make sense to me...

Dr Bester is raising money for Cancer Research with a climb and to add money to the same pot, a pub quiz has been organised... So, you can sponsor the Doctor or enter a pub quiz to raise money.

Lot's going on this week in Uplyme! You can go out every night if you fancy it...! Smile
Rhodie

PostPosted: 22/11/10, 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rev wrote:
...you can sponsor the Doctor

What does this mean exactly?
You pay so much say for every thousand feet he climbs?
Or do you merely cough up because someone is doing something odd half way around the world. If so I donít get it. Why should you need this kind of stimulus to make you contribute to a charity?
Please explain Rev.

I trust Dr Bester, unlike the View from Lyme, knows the difference between his Anacondas and Aconcagua.
Rev

PostPosted: 23/11/10, 08:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand what you don't understand... Smile Just that a sponsored climb makes sense to me just like a sponsored walk or a sponsored bike ride makes sense to me. In fact, if he climbs an Anaconda, I will give extra cash - sounds very dangerous. lol
Rhodie

PostPosted: 23/11/10, 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snakes alive! I donít understand why you donít understand why I donít understand what this sponsorship business is all about.

Perhaps it is the way the word sponsor is used that confuses me. According to my dictionary the word Ďsponsorí means, ĎOne that finances a project or an event carried out by another person or groupí. I sincerely hope that the people of Lyme are not financing the good doctor dentistís trip to South America. I suppose that the project or event in this case is not the trip to Pico Anaconda or Mount Python (no that would be in the Himalayas) but the project of donating to the charity. Surely the English language falls down here. Over to you Jack.

Full circle. I repeat, ďWhy should you need this kind of stimulus to make you contribute to a charity?Ē
Why canít one or perhaps one already does contribute to an appropriate charity say every time one of our soldiers dies in Afghanistan?
Why do we need this organised for us? Go on say it,"FUN"
geoff

PostPosted: 23/11/10, 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rev,

That's a great avatar Smile

G.
Rev

PostPosted: 23/11/10, 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhodie, Ooooooh, I seeeeeeee. I don't think we will be sponsoring his trip at all. Hopefully he is paying for the trip himself and then any money raised through sponsorship will be going directly to cancer research. I suppose anything that puts Cancer Research in the mind of a giver is a good thing - however anyone gives...

Thanks Geoff - I used to be called Zippy (hopefully not due to any likeness (cough) but due to the fact that I used to (and still do) Rainbow impersonations). You'll have to pop down to the gig I'm doing at the Marine Theatre on 9th December. I may well do Zippy if it's called for... ('do' as in impersonate)... lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: