uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feedback please ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoff

PostPosted: 01/10/06, 22:17    Post subject: Feedback please ? Reply with quote

One year on...

Well, we are one year old now so we are big enough to hear what you really think.
Come on - let us have it - good or bad, tell us what you really think of uplyme.com !
rosemock

PostPosted: 02/10/06, 11:02    Post subject: COngrats to Uplyme.com Reply with quote

Well done Geoff - its good to be able to check on the website, to find out the weather and other useful info......Rose Very Happy

PostPosted: 02/10/06, 15:28    Post subject: Feedback Reply with quote

The boy's done good! Cool
jeff

PostPosted: 03/01/11, 21:44    Post subject: one year on Reply with quote

Many thanks for your enthusiastic work put into uplyme.com. Fantastic!
Having left Uplyme in 1959, I have always kept in touch with events in the village and I find this facility most useful and interesting. As an ex- village schoolboy, cub, scout, choir boy and bell ringer, I do miss the village life. It was very good!
The proposed changes to the Church are interesting and would no doubt give it new life...but,....the new additions of seating would really HAVE to be in keeping with the originality of the building and not too modern or outstanding.I am sure villagers would not allow anything to spoil the beautiful Church. I have heard that some people were most unhappy when the original pew seating was changed over recent years, but no doubt you already know about that! Good Luck.
With Best Wishes to all concerned and may I wish you a Happy and Healthy New Year for 2011.
Jeffery Brown.
Driver

PostPosted: 04/01/11, 09:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a well done ! This feels like writing a end of term report, I always got " Tries hard to produce pore results!" The opposite is true for the web site. Tried very hard and has done a good job. IMOA the website does provide a focus to info, chitchat and some time slightly controversial news that may of been lost without the website.

A village website with never please everyone all the time, but to design, maintain and develop a website is hard work. Then to be moderator of what people would like to say in public and yet hide behind an alias is always going to be hard work.

The uptime has been good and you always appear happy to receive my emails when I see something broken!
Rev

PostPosted: 04/01/11, 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the WORST website ever and whoever made it should be...

...ha, ha - only kidding! I love it. It's great to have a resource that aids communication and fosters community. Running a website does take quite a chunk of time - I know! Geoff, you're doing a sterling job. Smile

If I could improve it, I would consider using a CMS such as Wordpress to drive the site and embedding a forum as a plugin in the CMS - so you have one login for both. That way, community news could be added to the front page (blog style - like uplymechurch.org.uk) but you could retain the forum too for discussions. I would also decrease the number of separate forums by merging some of them together - there is not enough traffic on the forums to warrant so many. Also, if you went down the CMS route, you could display the latest forum posts, comments, etc. on the front page, you could also allow certain members of the Uplyme Community (e.g. Steve at the pub, me at the church, etc.) to contribute content, and RSS feeds could be fed between sites to promote communication and traffic between them. If you want any help - just holla!
geoff

PostPosted: 05/01/11, 11:20    Post subject: Too kind ! Reply with quote

Well, thank you very much everyone. It's inspiring to hear that you like the site so much. In fact, uplyme.com was 5 years old last October and has grown considerably over that time, regularly achieving over 120,000 hits per month with our all time record being 156,000 last August.

I would also like to thank all the uplyme.com sponsors and advertisers who have continued to support the site through the years. It is unlikely that we could have kept the site going without them.

I already have some ideas for refreshing the site and I will take on board Rev's comments. Of course we do already publish the current school newsletter, church magazine and the latest forum posts on the front page to let people know what the current village buzz is, but I think RSS is a good idea. I also agree that several of the forum topics are pretty long in the tooth now, though I have resisted purging them as they are still indexed in Google and providing a kind of archive.

I would be interested to hear any other ideas, technical or otherwise for uplyme.com as I will be designing the revamp over the next few months.

Lastly, if anyone is interested in having a tailor-made @uplyme.com email address, please email me at webmaster@uplyme.com. This only costs a pound a month and many people consider that fred.bloggs@uplyme.com looks a lot smarter and is more memorable than bloggsfr224@hotmail.com !

Your (ever so humble) webmaster,
Geoff.
Rev

PostPosted: 05/01/11, 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you merge the content of the forums you will still retain the posts. Google will automatically re-trawl the forums so they will still be available if you search for them. Smile

The good thing about Wordpress (and no doubt other CMSs) is that you can create users (that you trust) who can post news directly to the site. You can set it up such that posts are only from approved registered users. You can even set it up such that posts go into draft form and have to be moderated before appearing live. I'm setting this up for www.honitondeanery.org.uk (due to launch later this month) I added a free plugin on the RHS of the page so my users can login easily.

Then, if you move the forums over to a Wordpress forum (you won't get all the functionality of phpbb but on the plus side you won't get spam (I used to get heaps of spammers on my old phpbb boards)) and your users can login with the same username and password for the front-end and forums.

If you want to have a play, I can let you in to see any of the Wordpress sites that I have set up - or you could install it on the server (in a top secret hidden location) and build it up. It's free but does need one SQL database...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: