uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Debate in a Democracy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Centre - On the Fence

PostPosted: 16/03/11, 19:06    Post subject: Debate in a Democracy Reply with quote

Hmm. Well being a practical and questioning sort of person and before we get invited to take part in another 38 degree petition to ‘Save our NHS’. Sitting on the political fence I note that this organisation has little to offer in terms of constructive criticism, or even less costed plans for an alternative, but seems to be driven by objection to everything our current government does i.e. politically driven. Their plan seems to be to stifle debate. We fortunately live in a democracy (I hope).
I will highlight a couple of their recent campaigns.
1: ‘Save the BBC’ - Well I love the dear old BBC but I do have a problem with the licence fee. Are we getting good value for money? I recently wrote to the BBC trustees regarding the Today programme on Radio 4. I wrote because James Naughtie has signed a new contract at £200k per annum, Sarah Montague £150k per annum and John Humpries £450k per annum this is 20% down on their previous salaries! I will quote official statistics that there is only 1% of the population earn over £150k a year, however they do of course pay over 25% of the tax take – so maybe the money is coming back, but the only people to suffer are the people at the lower income end of the income spectrum? Anyhow you will be pleased to know that the BBC Trust wrote back (not disputing the figures) saying that they have to recruit talent? Questionable whether paying that talent over £3-4k per show is worthwhile?
2: ‘Save our Forests’ – By one of Uplyme.Com’s own correspondents the Forestry Commission seems to be in the business of state funded dog walking areas. I think the forestry debate was interesting and I want access to all our woodland (incidentally for dog walking and personal wellbeing). I am unsure whether the government shelved plans included public access, but I seem to recall they did. Going back to the state funded dog walking areas – surely if it is uneconomic to grow trees then that parcel of land would be better put to use growing food (in the UK we cannot feed our current population on the food we grow), or hand it over to somebody who can grow trees economically, or maybe, if, as a country we can afford it, a wildlife reserve managed by one the various Wildlife Trusts. Debate was stifled!
3 ‘Save our NHS’ – well let’s see if we are allowed a debate on this one. I love the NHS and have subscribed all my tax-paying life. However in my hour of need it has failed!!!!! Let us have a real debate with properly researched (not automated drivel) being written to our MP’s.

We all pay our taxes and we deserve them to be spent wisely.

Centre
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: