uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

District Council Election

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodie

PostPosted: 03/05/11, 10:56    Post subject: District Council Election Reply with quote

Shame that we will not have the pleasure of voting for our parish councillors on Thursday. But we can vote for our District Councillor as a LibDem candidate is apparently challenging the present Conservative incumbent Ian Thomas. I say apparently for I have not received any election communication from him at all, whereas Mr Thomas has produced and delivered a well designed and informative leaflet.

Does anyone have any information on the LibDem?

Mr Thomas’s leaflet gets off to a dubious start by asking us to, ‘Re-elect’ him. I keep a watchful eye on such things and can’t remember there ever having been an election in which Mr Thomas stood for the Trintiy Ward seat. When his predecessor Ken George resigned through ill health I don’t recollect the district council announcing that applicants should come forward for the ward seat. Can anyone put me right on this?

Mr Thomas then in his election leaflet indicates how hard he has worked and will continue to do so for us if elected and I believe this to be true. Unfortunately he finishes off and spoils his copybook by listing 5 reasons to say no to the Alternative Vote. Can I seriously consider voting for someone who follows the party line and repeats the Tory misinformation on this subject? More on this under, ‘Ballot on 'AV' voting system.’ on the Beyond the Boundary Forum

Back to the lack of communication from the LibDem candidate. Can one wonder about the apathy and poor turnout by voters when some candidates show such lack of enthusiasm?
Rev

PostPosted: 03/05/11, 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Rhodie!

I believe that the candidate standing against Ian Thomas is Rob Jordan. Ian points out that he is the only candidate that lives in the Trinity Ward (albeit only just!). Rob Jordan lives in Raymonds Hill.
voluntaryist.only

PostPosted: 04/05/11, 15:34    Post subject: If voting could change anything ..... Reply with quote

If voting could change anything for the better, voting would be BANNED.

PEACE, but not to statist's or corporatist's
"No service should be provided out the barrel of a gun. This is not freedom, it is tyranny"
http://voluntary-exchanges-only.blogspot.com
Rev

PostPosted: 04/05/11, 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you'd vote for banning voting? Hmmm, makes perfect sense. Rolling Eyes
voluntaryist.only

PostPosted: 05/05/11, 05:32    Post subject: my comment is an observation Reply with quote

Rev wrote:
So you'd vote for banning voting? Hmmm, makes perfect sense. Rolling Eyes

my comment is an observation, the powers that be, let us think that voting makes a difference, it does not. Sad

voting is a mugs game, you only think you make a difference, it is a sop to your collective anger & upset at the things government does.

tell me since you voted, how has having a new government not prevented us from entering a new war (most people in the UK do not want us doing anything to Libya) ? cameron did say "no more illegal wars" didn't he?

has having a new government stopped the huge bankers bonuses? (like they said it should) again a cameron saying

has having a new government stopped the waste & excess of the old government? the tories & ilbdem did bang on about this one too, but they are just as bad if not worse

no, voting has not made a difference, it only weakens your upset & anger at corrupt & incompetent government.

But hey, if you think voting makes a difference, carry on. I see the folly of it, perhaps this little exchange will convince others...Wink

PEACE, but not to statist's or corporatist's
"No service should be provided out the barrel of a gun. This is not freedom, it is tyranny"
http://voluntary-exchanges-only.blogspot.com
Anita

PostPosted: 05/05/11, 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had no info in Whalley Lane from the Lib Dems, bit poor really, did they leaflet anyone?

Shame that there are no independent candidates. Might have to correct that another time! Very Happy I'm no fan of party politics at a local level.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 05/05/11, 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita you'd be my 1st Choice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: