uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Milk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rev

PostPosted: 24/05/11, 06:36    Post subject: Milk Reply with quote

What is the most environmentally friendly way of buying milk locally? I have seen a Dairy Crest van bombing around occasionally - is it better to use this service as they presumably rewash glass bottles? There is always an environmental transit cost involved with milk, so I guess it's down to how the milk is produced, how far the milk has come, and the packaging? It seems incongruous that dairy herds live just up the road, and here am I buying plastic cartons of the stuff from a supermarket...

(Actually, this post is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of living sustainably but it's as good a place to start as any I suppose.)
Peter.Single

PostPosted: 03/06/11, 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with all these things it depends on your criteria really.
Not sure that buying milk can actually be considered to be that environmentaly friendly.
I may be wrong but from your question you seem to be concerned only with the transport aspects.
If you are concerned with the animal welfare aspects at all you might be interested to watch this short video about milk production.
http://vimeo.com/15987685. (if you buy milk at all then you really should know what you are paying for).
If you are interested in the human health issues then you might be interested in this quote - "There is no nutritional requirement for dairy products, in fact there are serious problems that can result from the proteins, sugar and fat in milk products. Milk contains significant amounts of saturated fat, as well as cholesterol, which can lead to obesity and contribute to heart disease and certain forms of cancer. Although we do need a certain amount of fat in our diets, saturated fat is the wrong kind, and cows' milk is low in the good essential fatty acids that we do need." from this publication http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/115/3/736.abstract
Environmental and welfare issues can be somewhat ameliorated by buying only organic milk, but not entirely.
Rev

PostPosted: 05/06/11, 08:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends of mine are local dairy farmers - and they look after their cows extremely well. Smile I love milk and butter but I like cheese better! It might not be particularly healthy (but then neither is the glass of wine I had last night - he he) but it is rich in calcium and protein. We currently buy organic, Devon (reasonably locally sourced) milk. Love it. Smile
Peter.Single

PostPosted: 06/06/11, 08:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many farmers do treat their animals well. Unfortunatelly some don't. Where animal welfare organisations highlight the actions of the worst, and support the actions of the best I think that's laudable.
I didn't intend to preach (!), I was just raising these points for your consideration. This is a discussion board after all.
Your slightly mocking tone suggests that you think that animal welfare concerns are irrelevant as long as you enjoy the product at the end of it.
It would be a disappointing moral outloook for a vicar if that were the case.
geoff

PostPosted: 06/06/11, 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Rev, I know several dairy farmers here in Devon and also up in the Midlands and without exception they are all very concerned for the welfare of their animals. Happy cows produce more milk for one thing.

The morals of eating or avoiding meat is a separate issue and not the subject of this thread.

G.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: