uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20mph speed limit campaign
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julian

PostPosted: 04/02/08, 19:18    Post subject: 20mph speed limit petition Reply with quote

For anyone who supports the 20mph campaign nationally here is a petition to the Prime Minister that you may wish to add your name to:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/20limit/

Closing date is, I believe, 8/5/08
geoff

PostPosted: 12/02/08, 10:29    Post subject: The way forward... Reply with quote

Good meeting yesterday, though sad to see such a small proportion of the village turning out, many parents simply walking past.

I was heartened to hear from one lady present that many Somerset villages are soon to get a 20MPH limit, but surprised to hear that the traffic goes through Uplyme so quickly that a 20MPH limit would be inappropriate.

This seemed so unbelievable I checked into this and it seems the piece of legislation covering this is called "Circular Roads 4/90, December 1990", now replaced by "DETR Circular 05/99".

I can't find anything to suggest that a road can be too fast to be restricted within its 9 pages. You can read the whole circular for yourself here (it's actually quite readable) :
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/tpm/tal/circulars/circular490replacedbydtlrcir4060

I also think it would be good for the campaign in general if we could encourage more villagers (both pro- and anti- ) to participate in this online discussion. Everyone at the meeting had something to say on the matter - why not air it here and promote healthy debate ?

Geoff.
Antonia

PostPosted: 14/02/08, 18:38    Post subject: 20 mph speed limit Reply with quote

I am in favour of a 20mph speed limit within Uplyme and Lyme Regis parish/village boundaries.
I enjoy driving and I enjoy driving fast when conditions allow but I can't think of one single disadvantage to having a 20mph speed limit in these areas.
The advantage of increased safety for everyone who uses the roads would be invaluable. I wish some people would take a more relaxed, considerate attitude to others when they take the wheel of a car - speed has its place and I don't think it is within village boundaries!
Antonia East
Rhodie

PostPosted: 14/02/08, 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

But will it ever happen. At last night’s parish council meeting the chairman said that the council is not supporting the campaign because average speeds on Lyme Road are around 29 mph. So is that the end of the story?

Certainly not. Reading the "DETR Circular 05/99" that Geoff refers to it says that where there is a high average speed just imposing a 20 limit is usually ineffective. It would have to go hand in hand with physical slowing devices such as speed bumps, pinch points etc. In fact the mini-roundabout, the two gateways and the “chicane” at the bottom of Whalley Lane already do this. The question is can the village take any more of these urbanizing features?

Place enough of these obstacles in the road and the 20 limit signs are superfluous. Read the circular.

Perhaps one more would do the trick such as a mini-roundabout at the junction with Venlake. This would reduce speeds in the most important sections. Apart from the school. But outside the school we already have physical restrictions. At least around 9 am and 3:30 pm. CARS. During this car free week it would be interesting to see if the vehicles that do pass the school are driven any faster.

While we are on the subject can someone who attended the Monday meeting inform all those who couldn’t make it what actually went on?
Julian

PostPosted: 14/02/08, 23:46    Post subject: Campaign launch meeting Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Antonia and thanks for your expression of support for the campaign. You're absolutely right that speed has no place in a village nor in the narrow lanes that surround it.

For those who were unable to come to the meeting on Monday the aim was to launch the campaign in a public forum. The meeting was open to all and was timed to link in with the school's Walk to School Week. It was attended by local residents including parents with children at Mrs Ethelstons together with the Headteacher. Ken George (East Devon DC Councillor) and Cllr Johnathan Clarke Irons were present. I am not clear what was said at the subsequent PC meeting but Cllr Clarke Irons was quite clear that the PC has been pushing for a 20 mph speed limit for five years so I don't think the campaign is quite dead in the water yet for want of the PC's support. The issue that Cllr Clarke Irons raised (and that Geoff posted the circular about) is one that will have to be addressed in due course as will all the other conditions. All those present at the meeting were in favour of a 20mph limit and sevral people signed a pledge to voluntarily keep to 20 in the village. In due course we hope to have these pledge forms accessible to everyone and there will be car stickers for all who want to join the scheme.
We need to be in this for the long haul. We need to persuade everyone that this is the right approach. The PC made the point that we have to demonstrate that there is widespread support for a 20 mph limit. This is one of the factors that will make a difference. When the campaign is successfull - then we can argue about whether it makes a difference!
geoff

PostPosted: 10/03/11, 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if this idea ever got any further ?
geoff

PostPosted: 04/07/11, 08:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this campaign still active ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Road safety All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: