uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

School swimming pool

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should be done with the school pool ?
Spend money on it to renovate it
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Remove the pool and create a play area. Swim at Flamingo, Axminster.
88%
 88%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 9

geoff

PostPosted: 22/10/05, 07:54    Post subject: School swimming pool Reply with quote

Parents have been asked to vote on one of two choices, or suggest another option in relation to the future of the school's swimming pool. Although this is an issue that mainly concerns those with a direct connection with school, I wondered if the debate members had any thoughts on the issue. I have set up a vote with the options which are currently available to parents. Presumably this will not have a direct influence on the school's own vote, but it will be interesting to see what the members think nevertheless.

Here is the original letter:-

Dear Parents,

As you are probably aware, our school swimming pool was unable to be used last summer. The governors now need to make a decision about what to do next with the pool and would like to collect the views of parents to enable them to make the best decision.

Firstly, there are some technical problems with the pool itself. It was condemned by the County engineers for various health and safety reasons. The water was not high enough for the chemicals to work. This meant that the pool needed to be drained and refilled. However, the engineer felt that the stopcock was so corroded that if it was turned, it would break and we would not be able to turn it off again. There are also some wear and tear issues as the wooden surround has rotted, there is a hole in the lining of the pool and the equipment has perished.

Secondly, there are other issues of a more educational nature. Staff are not trained instructors and have concerns about the safety of the children, as they are instructor and lifeguard. There is no variation in depth so the pool is too deep for the infants and too shallow for the juniors to swim without hitting the bottom.

Thirdly, as the pool is not heated we are reliant on the weather and we are lucky if we get six weeks per year. The cost of the pool chemicals and water (we are metered) is an additional expense, particularly if we get little use from the pool.

However, swimming is part of the National Curriculum and we do have our own pool. Money was spent on the area 2 years ago to secure the bank with a retaining wall and provide a seating area. This term, we have used the Flamingo Pool for children in Years 1,2,3, and 4 and the children in Years 5 and 6 will have their lessons in the summer term.

This leaves us with several options. We could spend money on the pool itself to renovate it, or we could remove the pool and create a much needed play area for our youngest children, or we could think of an alternative solution.

Please return the attached slip with your suggestion as soon as possible and the governors can make a decision based on the majority of opinions.

Andrea Rice,
Acting Headteacher

RichardH

PostPosted: 30/10/05, 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no longer a parent at the school, but was for about 11 years. On a number of occasions I put forward the opinion that the school pool was virtually useless, but each time got the impression that I would be lynched for expressing this view. Now it has got to be scrapped. I'm not surprised.
geoff

PostPosted: 31/10/05, 12:21    Post subject: Cost ? Reply with quote

Nothing has been said of the cost of the various options, so I find it quite hard to say whether I would prefer the pool to be scrapped, or repaired.

Anyone with this information able to help ?

Also, I wonder if there might be a plumber amongst the parents or PTA who would be able to advise on the viability of repair ?

Geoff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: