uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drives you mad.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoff

PostPosted: 04/11/05, 08:51    Post subject: Drives you mad. Reply with quote

Yesterday I had to drive to Exeter. The weather was gusty and the roads covered in fallen leaves/light debris. As I headed North out of the village I was approached from behind by a white Renault driven by a lone male. Who then drove about 2m from my rear bumper as I continued to drive within the 30mph speed limit. I increased my speed between Yawl and Raymonds Hill with this car still hot on my tail. When I slowed again for the 40mph section just before Raymonds Hill I noticed that the driver behind was making strenuous hand gestures towards me.

I turned left heading for Honiton and unfortunately the white Renault followed at about the same distance behind almost all the way to Kilmington where the driver overtook giving very little clearance.

I usually ignore/forget these incidents as I feel there is little to be gained by raising the stakes, however in this case, I saw the driver continue on ahead of me doing the same thing to several other cars and overtaking whenever possible and I wondered if there was anything that I should do to try to prevent this (presumably inexperienced new driver) causing an accident involving innocent 3rd parties.

What should I have done - phone the police ? Would they be able to do anything anyway since no actual accident happened ?

What's really fraustrating is the thought that people like this think of a car as a bit of fun, not a potentially lethal weapon. Most drivers can control their vehicles and interact with changing road conditions, but it is these few high-risk drivers who ensure that our insurance premiums continue to rise despite careful driving by the vast majority of us.

Geoff.
Y.E.Plum

PostPosted: 05/11/05, 11:31    Post subject: Re: Drives you mad. Reply with quote

Geoff must be praised for his self-control under such intimidation. Thereís no telling what this incident could have lead to if Geoff was an inexperienced and hotheaded driver.

geoff wrote:
What's really fraustrating is the thought that people like this think of a car as a bit of fun, not a potentially lethal weapon.

Iím afraid that this is the culture we live in where adverts, films, car sports programmes and the Jeremy Clarksons of this world instill, particularly in the young and impressionable, the attitude that cars and driving is macho and fun. As with drugs, alcohol, violence in films, most people can handle this bombardment but there will be a proportion of people who canít and the rest of us must be protected from them. Regarding this driver the sooner he is banned the better though what he could do in the meantime bears not thinking about.

geoff further wrote:
What should I have done - phone the police ? Would they be able to do anything anyway since no actual accident happened ?

I doubt if reporting it to the police would help. It would be Geoffís word against his. I suppose supporting the work of your two local constables in their efforts to bring speeds down in Uplyme would be a good start.
geoff

PostPosted: 05/11/05, 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Yes, I also find it irresponsible of the Jeremy Clarkson 'petrol-head' types who quite openly advocate an attitude that speed is more important than safety.

Unfortunately, it is often some innocent pedestrian or cyclist who is injured or killed by these types.

Sadly, the law does not really seem to provide much of a deterrent. For example a recent case reported in the national media where a child was killed by a dangerous driver who upon conviction was given a three year driving ban.

In my opinion, such drivers should serve a hefty prison sentance, have their vehicle crushed and never be permitted drive again.

G.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Road safety All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: