uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

“Beyond the Boundary”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Help and Suggestions (for this website)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodie

PostPosted: 11/11/05, 10:12    Post subject: “Beyond the Boundary” Reply with quote

Is free speech now being stifled on this forum Sad Question

A reply by myself criticizing the validity of the introduction of the “Beyond the Boundary” forum and a follow up from Oliver have been removed although I believe what they contained was of more relevance to Uplyme than the “Beyond the Boundary” forum itself.

The terms and condition for those participating in the Uplyme forum state that it “is run .......for the general benefit of the parish and to provide a forum where local issues can be discussed in public” I fail to see the direct benefit that discussing, for example, the price of a puma skin in Peru would have on “the parish” or how it could be called a “local issue”.

If we are to continue with “Beyond the Boundary” can I suggest, for the clarity of prospective participants, that the terms and conditions be rewritten

Would it also be a good idea in order to keep things manageable that we restrict the number of forums to that which can be accommodated on a monitor set to a low resolution without having to scroll down the page.

A little pruning could be done by deleting the “Uplyme Ex-Pats”. Its raison d’être is said to be to encourage ex-villagers to make contact. They can do this anyway by sending a PM to any of the members.
administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: 11/11/05, 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rhodie,

No, free speech lives on (hopefully). As I said in the PM I sent you, I had to withdraw your message because it was off topic and so was Oliver's reply. I do agree that the T&C should be clarified though - thanks for the suggestion.

As I said, the idea behind the new forum was to encourage more people to take part in the on-line discussion process. We have nearly 50 members now, but less than ten regularly post a message. Personally, I would welcome an opportunity to discuss (say) politics with other people in Uplyme. People who live in Uplyme also live in Great Britain!

If it's not a success, I will remove it as I agree with you that we do not want the forum list to proliferate too far. (Also, bear in mind as a mod, you are also viewing one more forum than non-mods).

I also take your point about the 'ex-pats' forum. I thought when Lucy made contact, that there wasn't an obvious place for her to post a 'hello uplyme' type message and that a forum for this purpose might encourage other ex-pats, but it seems not. I think I will probably remove it in the not too distant future.

Perhaps we need to have a think about the other forums and whether they are correctly focussed and whether they provide an accessible soapbox for all possible issues?

Cheers,
admin.
Homer

PostPosted: 14/11/05, 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with admin especially the 'Uplyme is part of Great Britian' quote, Uplyme is not in its own little shell unaffected by world issues and the new forum allows those who want to use it (you don't have to) to discuss 'outside the box' issues
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Help and Suggestions (for this website) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: