uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stafford Mount – £60,000 – Village Playground

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodie

PostPosted: 19/12/05, 19:49    Post subject: Stafford Mount – £60,000 – Village Playground Reply with quote

A letter was read out at the December meeting of the Uplyme Parish Council from someone opposed to the news that the council was considering selling off “our” piece of land known as Stafford Mount.

The writer was particularly annoyed of the hypocrisy shown by the council when it comes to the development of land. She said that the council fights private developers who want to build on sites like Hackers Mead but seem unconcerned when the last piece of green space on that side of the road between the Talbot and Lyme is proposed for development because as owners the council stands to make a financial gain. The council’s attitude to this land can perhaps be best summed up by quoting what the parish clerk said on the matter, that “...the land was “useless” without planning consent for housing” Lyme Regis News (11th November).

By selling the land the council hoped to be able to finance the refurbishment of the facilities at the village’s playground. It is estimated that the cost of doing so will be in the region of £60,000.

The current playground features are at the end of their short life, the council seemingly to have been ill advised when the items were last renewed. It was proposed at the meeting that because of the dangers lurking in the equipment the playground should be immediately closed. However it was eventually agreed that items would be decommissioned as they became dangerous. There is now the fear that if there is an accident on the playground the council will be in a very difficult position.

There are many questions raised here such as:

Is it reasonable to expect a small community to finance such an expensive project?
Should the playground be permanently abandoned and let the children climb trees, play in the river and do other things children have been doing since our earliest days?
Should Stafford Mount be sold? Should the parishioners’ views be solicited on this?
What use can Stafford Mount be put to?
Are health and safety considerations putting a straight jacket on society?
oliver

PostPosted: 19/12/05, 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that how much it costs to re-do a play ground and its just about time... there was a sign on the swings saying that they will be refurbished that was about 10 months ago.. any way gld they are doing something
Y.E.Plum

PostPosted: 20/12/05, 08:00    Post subject: Re: Stafford Mount – £60,000 – Village Playground Reply with quote

Rhodie wrote:
A letter was read out at the December meeting of the Uplyme Parish Council from someone opposed to the news that the council was considering selling off “our” piece of land known as Stafford Mount.

Shouldn’t this and other letters to the parish council be ideally published on the parish website Question

I am told that when letters are read out at parish council meetings those criticising the council are given short shift and paraphrased whilst those praising the works and actions of the council, apparently few, are read in full and with entirely different enthusiasm. We are all human and this is bound to happen. Therefore the only and convenient way for us all to see these letters in their original form and judge them for ourselves, is to put them on the website. There is precious little else of interest there at the moment
Sad
administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: 20/12/05, 09:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Shouldn’t this and other letters to the parish council be ideally published on the parish website

But surely that is exactly what Rhodie has done ?

Anything posted here on the village website can be read by anyone who cares to (including parish councillors), discussed, referred back to etc. That is one of the reasons I created the debate in the first place - to promote democratic debate!

Admin.
geoff

PostPosted: 20/12/05, 09:20    Post subject: Incredible Reply with quote

I am utterly amazed that it costs 60,000 to refurbish a small village playground Shocked

Does anyone know what amusements are being provided ?
Heated swimming pool ?
Computer controlled slide angle selection ?
Self-turning roundabout with digitally selectable RPM ?
Radio controlled helicopters ?

Sorry, maybe that's a bit flippant, the playground is an important asset to the kids of the village and it should be maintained to proper standards but really - 60 grand ???

As to whether Stafford mount should be sold to fund improvements - does anyone know how the land came to be in the possession of the Council and what was paid? What was the original intention for the land ?

Geoff.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 20/12/05, 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parish chairman Beryl Denham was quoted as saying, “the land had been given to the parish by the district council some years ago”.LRNews 11th November 2005. A covenant was put on the land to prevent building, which indicates that the parish council’s original plans for the land was to keep it as an open and undeveloped space.

Although an application was made to develop the land some time ago it was unsuccessful.

Ownership of the land is now considered by the parish council to be “an absolute liability” mainly because of the maintenance costs associated with grass cutting etc..
Rhodie

PostPosted: 20/12/05, 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

administrator wrote:

But surely that is exactly what Rhodie has done ?

Anything posted here on the village website can be read by anyone who cares to (including parish councillors), discussed, referred back to etc. That is one of the reasons I created the debate in the first place - to promote democratic debate!
Admin.

Agreed but YE Plum was almost right in saying that letters being read out are paraphrased I would rather say a précis is read out and this is exactly what Mrs Denham said on reading out the letter. Then at another remove I wrote what I remembered. Therefore my relating of what the letter contained cannot be considered a verbatim report.

Yes we can discuss the principles involved here but wouldn’t it be better if we could see the original letter that sparked such a debate.

I think that we would all agree that Geoff has done a great service to the parish in setting up the forum for which we are all thankful particularly so as there is no provision for any discussion on the council’s website.
Y.E.Plum

PostPosted: 21/12/05, 08:53    Post subject: Re: Stafford Mount – £60,000 – Village Playground Reply with quote

When I wrote:
..put them on the website. There is precious little else of interest there at the moment
Sad

I think that I may have inadvertently upset our administrator in which case I do apologize. The website that I was referring to was the official parish council one Embarassed
administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: 22/12/05, 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, but please don't apologise Y.E.Plum, it's not a problem and I totally agree with Rhodie that it could be potentially misleading to only read/hear a precis of an original correspondance read out at a meeting.

As the Parish Council website does not have a debate facility, I would be more than happy to create a new uplyme.com forum specifically for PC matters and the Parish Clerk could perhaps be the moderator? Remember anyone can post on the uplyme debate, so there would be nothing stopping, the Parish Clerk posting any letters he received for public viewing and possible comment ?

Sadly, I don't think anyone from the Parish Council has yet joined the forums and whenever I have contacted the Parish Clerk offering to exchange website links he has never been very interested, so I doubt if this offer will be taken up.

Admin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: