uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uplyme Parish Boundary and the Boundary Walk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodie

PostPosted: 02/01/06, 12:31    Post subject: Uplyme Parish Boundary and the Boundary Walk Reply with quote

I have noticed a contradiction in various maps regarding the parish boundaries. I become aware of this on following the route of Adrian Pearsonís boundary walk. It skirted around the Trinity Hill Nature Reserve, as the reserve on the first map I consulted was not in the parish of Uplyme. The route then crossed the road to take in a piece of land overlooking the Axe Valley. On recent maps the parish boundary, in this area, keeps rigidly to the line of the main road.

Does anyone know when these boundary changes took place Question

If anyone intends to reintroduce the Boundary Walk make sure you use the most recent edition of the Ordinance Survey map.
geoff

PostPosted: 04/01/06, 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, but could this be due to the fact that previous walks were not always able to follow the boundary exactly either due to permission or safety problems ?

G.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 05/01/06, 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thatís right but the general path did reflect the snaking about of the parish boundary, at least in the Trinity Hill area.. I think that if Adrian were now to map out a route his task would be much more straightforward
Rhodie

PostPosted: 07/01/06, 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian emailed me with the following and gave permission for it to be posted here:

"When I devised the walk I seem to remember doing my damnedest to follow as exactly as possible the boundary as shown on the map I was using. However i) the map may have been out of date ii) there were indeed issues as Geoff suggested of access and safety - though not, I believe, in the section under discussion iii) I seem to recall conflicts between civil and ecclesiastical boundaries, which may explain anomalies".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: