uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

With accidents like that who needs terrorism?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Beyond the Boundary
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodie

PostPosted: 11/12/05, 20:26    Post subject: With accidents like that who needs terrorism? Reply with quote

Put the following ingredients together.

Oil. Some would have it that Iraq was attacked because of it.
One of the largest oil storage depots in the country.
Buncefield supplies aviation fuel to Heathrow and Gatwick
Christmas chaos.
A location close to London and besides one of the busiest motorways in the country.
M1 closed for several days.
Fuel shortages. Real or imagined, same result.
Panic buying of petrol.
A light aircraft was heard in the area at the time of the first explosion.

You can understand how conspiracy theories get going.
geoff

PostPosted: 12/12/05, 08:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see the news footage of the plume of dnese black smoke Sad
I wonder how many days supply of aviation fuel that blaze represents ?

G.
Fiona

PostPosted: 12/12/05, 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plume of smoke looks awful. Just breathing in air around a bonfire is bad enough, but think what its like on such a massive scale. Surely the smoke is rather toxic and carcinogenic, i think we'll see side effects from this for years to come.
As to how many days that oil would have lasted -probably not too many unfortunately. It just would have been burnt out of sight and out of most peoples minds and perhaps slightly more cleanly. In a way its good to get people to see just how much harm burning all this fuel is doing. Its shocking to see it all go up at once, but that oil was going to be used at some point.
As for the explosion I think I must have heard it in Norwich. I was woken up on Sunday morning and I thought the builders outside had started work, but looked outside and they hadn't, looked at my watch- it was 6.05, thought nothing of it and went back to sleep.
Fiona

PostPosted: 12/12/05, 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry me again-
Realised I went a bit off the topic of:
'With accidents like that who needs terroism'

Well I agree and I hope this accident registers with Mr. Blair. Even in a fuel depot that has according to Texaco had brilliant records so far, with no accidents, a disaster like this can still happen. Humans are not infallible, they make mistakes, things go wrong. Imagine what it will be like with all these nuclear power stations all over the country, one mistake and we are doomed. We have to count our blessings that this was 'just' a fuel depot.
As far as terroism is concerned- if this was a terrorist attack, we'll never find out, the evidence will have been totally obliterated.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 23/02/06, 07:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoff wrote:

I wonder how many days supply of aviation fuel that blaze represents ?
G.

According to Friends of the Earth spring 2006 edition of their magazine “Earth Matters” 28,000 tonnes (7.7 million gallons) of petrol and diesel was burning (Daily Telegraph). Road transport in the UK annually consumes 37.8 million tonnes (Dft website). We therefore, in this fire, saw just 0.074% (6.5 hours) of our annual consumption being burnt. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Beyond the Boundary All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: