uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Gun

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you be prepared to contribute out of council tax?
Yes
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
No
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 10

Rhodie

PostPosted: 14/09/05, 22:53    Post subject: Speed Gun Reply with quote

A parishioner in tonight’s open forum suggested that the parish buys a speed radar gun. Would you be prepared to contribute with your council tax towards the cost of £3,000+?

Someone wanted to know what happened to all that money that was collected for the flashing speed reminder board. Some comment was made regarding the problems in running one of these devices. they are battery operated and require regular attention. They are also prone to vandalism, people thinking that they are also speed cameras. Apparently the glass lens costs £200 to replace. Obviously a great and effective idea but not something for a small community to take on.

Last edited by Rhodie on 16/09/05, 11:56; edited 1 time in total
administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: 17/09/05, 12:00    Post subject: gun or camera ? Reply with quote

Presumably by a speed gun we are talking about the 'hairdryer' things that the police point at you as you go past ? If so, surely the police already have these ?

If we are talking about a speed camera that enables speeding motorists to be fined, then yes I think they are a great deterrant and worth paying for.

One parisioner (Scott) who lives in Yawl has actually offered to pay for a speed camera, but was told he wasn't allowed to !

G.
scott

PostPosted: 17/09/05, 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, it was a case of civilians not being allowed. I was enquiring about a fixed yellow box though, might be different, or the 'offical' might just have been having a jobsworth day. I wonder how the government's PPP schemes work........ Rolling Eyes
Rhodie

PostPosted: 17/09/05, 21:11    Post subject: Re: gun or camera ? Reply with quote

administrator wrote:
Presumably by a speed gun we are talking about the 'hairdryer' things that the police point at you as you go past ? If so, surely the police already have these ?

PC Andy Carmicheal told the assembled hoards at Wednesday’s parish council meeting that of course the police do have these guns “hairdryer” type. The problem is to use one it must be booked. He would then have to go to Axminster to pick it up at the prearranged time and return it after use. This alone would probably take 2 hours out of his day when he could be chasing criminals. This would only be possible if he had not been called on an emergency during the two hours or during the time that he would have been using the gun. All very inefficient and time wasting. If one was bought for his and his colleague PC Andy Turner’s personal use then it could always be carried and the odd bit of speed trapping could be fitted in when convenient.

administrator wrote:

If we are talking about a speed camera that enables speeding motorists to be fined, then yes I think they are a great deterrant and worth paying for.

The actual fixed speed cameras obviously cost much more probably ten times the cost of a hand held gun and you are not allowed to buy these anyway.

administrator wrote:

One parisioner (Scott) who lives in Yawl has actually offered to pay for a speed camera, but was told he wasn't allowed to !

It was not a flashing speed indicator that Mr Scott was considering buying was it?
scott

PostPosted: 17/09/05, 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those fixed ones did seem a bit expensive, but there must be a route to get one set up. In yawl we get a car into a garden about once a year, you can see where a wall has just been rebuilt.....

I would consider almost anything to slow the traffic down at source, i.e. yawl, before it comes into uplyme.

And you can call me by my first name; scott Very Happy
chris P

PostPosted: 05/10/05, 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm well mayby a charity event to rais the cash for a fixed one
scott

PostPosted: 09/10/05, 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the idea, would love to think it was possible. Either that or a tanktrap Twisted Evil
scott

PostPosted: 17/10/05, 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you noticed there are a lot of hits to this topic for such a small number of messages. Do you think the viewing public might be worried that their freedom to flout others' rights might be curtailed?
geoff

PostPosted: 06/01/06, 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone see the piece last night on BBC1's Spotlight news about the villagers of Shaldon (I think somewhere near Honiton?).

It seems they have hired a speed gun and got together with the local police. Volunteers from the village then take the reg number, time and date of any vehicles who speed in the village and pass them to the police who send a warning letter to the offender.

Would this be a workable possibility for Uplyme ?

G.
scott

PostPosted: 07/01/06, 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would spend my own hard earned cash on something like that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Road safety All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: