uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have you ordered your seeds yet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
martin

PostPosted: 06/11/05, 17:30    Post subject: Have you ordered your seeds yet? Reply with quote

This is the time of year when I`m normally browsing through seed catalogues ready to start green house sowiing next February .But I find particularly on vegetables one tends to get far too many plants.

Would anyone be interested growing and swapping?

So for example I would grow say sprout plants and swap them for say runner beans.

If any interested party wants to get in touch so we could compare lists before buying seeds we could help each other.

Garden Swing seat maker
Garden open 13th-15th June 2008 and 24th-25th July 2008
geoff

PostPosted: 07/11/05, 08:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great idea Martin !

I will be growing Savoy cabbages and Gardener's Delight toms and would be interested in swapping some for purple sprouting broccoli and brussels sprouts.

Geoff.
martin

PostPosted: 07/11/05, 19:43    Post subject: Plant swaps Reply with quote

Thanks geoff .I`m happy to swop sprouts for savoy cabbage .Dont grow toms (but maybe one of our other readers will join you)but I`ll let you know the variety once I`ve got the seeds.I`m guessing they will be ready late May

Garden Swing seat maker
Garden open 13th-15th June 2008 and 24th-25th July 2008
Rhodie

PostPosted: 07/11/05, 23:19    Post subject: Re: Have you ordered your seeds yet? Reply with quote

martin wrote:
This is the time of year when I`m normally browsing through seed catalogues ready to start green house sowiing next February .But I find particularly on vegetables one tends to get far too many plants.

Would anyone be interested growing and swapping?

Itís a bit of a gamble relying on someone else coming up with the plants. You couldnít depend on me for instance Sad

Why do you have too many plants? Do you sow the complete packet?

Surplus seeds can be stored in the likes of an airtight kilner jar in the fridge or even better in the freezer. Some silica gel crystals in the jar will keep the seeds from going mouldy.

If you do find yourself with too many seeds an alternative is to swap your surplus. Or only buy the amount you need. You can do this at Seeds By Size, http://www.seeds-by-size.co.uk. Mr Size Ė yes thatís right - sells seeds by the gram and has an impressive range of varieties.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 09/05/06, 08:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a surplus of Mr Hearnís Purple Flowered climbing french beans seeds. They are Ďcontrabandí by which I mean they are not supported by a commercial seed grower but are available via the HDRA Heritage Seed Programme and can only be given away.

This variety is very prolific, tasty and freeze without any loss of flavour. We no longer grow any other bean apart from broad beans.

I have seed to produce enough plants for probably ten families and you are most welcome to them, not the families, and if anyone has a surplus of leek seedlings we could swap. Perhaps Geoff still has some surplus tom plants as well and I look forward to haggling over how many tom there are in a row of beans. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Gardener's World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: