uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beating the Bounds - no more ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoff

PostPosted: 12/11/05, 08:48    Post subject: Beating the Bounds - no more ? Reply with quote

Does anyone know when and why the annual 'beating the bounds' was discontinued ?

This used to be quite a trek around the biggest parish boundary in the country, with well organised stops for refreshments, lunch etc. A once-a-year opportunity to access some of the more remote parts of the parish boundary and some spectacular scenery.

Would there be an appetite amongst villagers to resurrect the event ?

Geoff.
Robin

PostPosted: 14/11/05, 23:20    Post subject: Beating the Bounds Reply with quote

Hello Geoff

I can tell you that the boundary walk was stopped about 4 years ago as we found that we were being required to carry out risk assessments on the whole route! Crossing the main roads became a problem as we were needing crossing controls on the coast road. We were made unwelcome at our original lunch stop and had to move that to another spot. The number of participants had reduced and the numbers of helpers likewise.

Basically I think it just ran out of steam, but your'e right it may be time to try and get some sort of village/boundary walk going again

Hope thats of some help

Robin
Fiona

PostPosted: 22/11/05, 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always used to enjoy the boundary walk (was my first experience of 'long distance walking'). Was good fun and a brilliant chance to see our parish. It is a shame that it stopped. We have to do risk assessments for every little bit of fieldwork we do, they are such a nuisance.
Resurrecting the event sounds like a really good idea. I'd definitely walk it if it was organised (and if I was around) and maybe offer some help (although it can't be guaranteed)

Fiona
geoff

PostPosted: 23/11/05, 08:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, there would be at least 4 from our family who would walk it again.
I think the problem is probably getting enough organisers to make it safe.

On the other hand, what if it was a smaller affair - perhaps only 50 or so people led by an experienced boundary walker with another following up the tail end. Perhaps make it by ticket (application for a ticket implying acceptance of safety terms and conditions etc?)

Perhaps lunch could be arranged somewhere other than the previous place that didn't want to be involved?

Any other ideas anyone ? Any volunteers to help organise it in a slimmed down form ?

Geoff.
Lucy

PostPosted: 21/02/06, 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to hear that the Boundary Walk has stopped. I always used to really enjoy them - and the food was brill!

My Aunt and Uncle do a similar thing in Yorkshire and it is a ticket event with everyone paying an entrance fee which goes to charity. Would something like that make a difference to its feasability. I know it changes the idea a bit, but if it helped it get running again .........?

Lucy x
Tailgate

PostPosted: 14/03/06, 17:49    Post subject: Beating the bounds Reply with quote

I'd certainly be interested in walking around the boundry if it were started up again & I'm pretty sure my parents would be too
geoff

PostPosted: 15/03/06, 08:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

There do seem to be quite a few people interested in the boundary walk. I suspect it's just a matter of getting a team together to organise it again ?

G.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: