uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bird Flu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Wildlife and the Environment
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy with this country's preparation against bird flu?
yes
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
No
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

Rhodie

PostPosted: 02/03/06, 21:58    Post subject: Bird Flu Reply with quote

Are you happy about the way we in this country are dealing with the possible or should I say inevitable arrival of avian influenza Question

A friend working for a wildlife trust reported to DEFRA a dead cormorant found besides a river in Dorset. He was told that DEFRA was not interested as it was not a swan, duck or goose. It was reported in yesterday's radio 4 PM programme that, "A single dead water bird prompts a call out". This bird could have been rubbing wings with any number of swans, ducks or geese and was quite likely to be a migrant, many for instance coming here to winter from Holland. Mad

Would my friend have had a better response if he reported a dead cat besides a river Confused

Are we sleep walking into another Foot and Mouth disaster Crying or Very sad
geoff

PostPosted: 03/03/06, 08:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rhodie,

Not sure if I'm happy with it or not as I don't really know how are we dealing with it ? All we seem to be doing is 'wait and see' ???

Presumably with something as infectious as this there isn't much we can do apart from vaccinate every single bird in the country - clearly ludicrous ?

What should we be doing Rhodie ?

G.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 04/03/06, 09:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoff wrote:

What should we be doing Rhodie ?

I have no idea but my gut feeling is that neither does anyone else including those on fat incomes and years of expensive training. I have no professional qualifications or training and I get my information as most people do from radio, TV and the newspapers which often, as already related, conflicts with experiences such as the cormorant, a ‘water bird’, story Sad

The ‘Farming Today This Week’ programme this morning was detected to the subject and can be heard for the next seven days at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4_promo.shtml

An ‘expert’ on the programme believes that when it comes, this is no longer an ‘if’, it will be around for six years or so. Which cheers me slightly for my layman’s view was that the disease will become endemic. I hope the government has been told this little fact. Also take a look at the article in this week’s LRNews which has an article on a local organic farmer who keeps chickens.

My prediction is that it will arrive at the beginning of next winter (is Ladbrokes giving odds on the actual month?), and I have held this view long before the cases were reported in France, Switzerland and Germany, and is based on the fact that the large numbers of uninfected ducks, geese and swans that winter in these islands will soon be leaving for their almost circumpolar arctic breeding grounds. There they will then mix with other birds breeding in the same area that have passed this winter in Eastern Europe as well as various parts of Asia. Our birds will then return next winter carrying the virus picked up during the summer. Continuing this same logic the New World would be infected the following winter. This is because Britain plays host to wintering wildfowl from Asia, Europe and Greenland and North America. Think it through Rolling Eyes

I am staking my chicken’s lives on this and will give them one last summer of free ranging for what future is there for them restricted to a shed
Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Wildlife and the Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: