uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ivy Helen Crichard 1916 - 2006 RIP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoff

PostPosted: 15/01/07, 04:00    Post subject: Ivy Helen Crichard 1916 - 2006 RIP Reply with quote

Robin Hodges has sent in this fascinating obituary, which was sent to him at the Parish News. Several interesting local connections, Ivy was obviously a remarkable lady.

IVY HELEN CRICHARD (Mum) was born on 24th September 1916 to parents Sarah Jane and Tom Crichard at Pitt Cottage, Waterside, Uplyme.

She came into a family of three elder sisters, Cora, Kath and Eileen, six years between the girls. The family was complete in 1919 when brother Tommy was born. Tommy unfortunately was a delicate child, profoundly deaf and unable to speak. Mum went to school next door at Mrs Ethelstons, leaving at the age of 14 years to work as a parlour maid at The Old Rectory which today is the Devon Hotel.

The family moved to several rented properties in Uplyme in the following years, before moving to a smallholding at The Moorings at Rocombe. They were very happy living in the heart of the countryside, owning several farm animals and working the land and living from it. Mum loved nature, especially animals and flowers, developing very green fingers,

Mum went to work as a kitchen maid at Stroud House in Netherbury, this being a much better paid position at 30 a year. It must have seemed like living in a different country. With no public transport, mum used to cycle the 15 miles to work, living in during the week and cycling home at weekends.

It was here that she developed her love for cooking and food, which was to be a good part of her, and our, family life. The butler often reprimanded mum for wasting time talking, something that never changed, and watching the cook preparing and cooking meals. The cook however liked mum, as everybody did, and passed on her cooking skills, finally recommending that Ivy take over her position upon her leaving to get married, which the house owners finally agreed to. Mum used to lovingly describe to us in great detail the dinner parties she used to cook in the big house.

It was here at Netherbury that she met the great love of her life, Arthur Mason, known to all as Bob, who lived in Beaminster. Mum was engaged at the time to another local man but on meeting Bob knew this was the real thing and broke off the engagement. The couple courted, cycling back to Rocombe together on mum's days off and attending the dances at Uplyme Village Hall. Dad also enjoyed playing the occasional game of cricket for Uplyme, although he was a regular at Beaminster, excelling with both bat and ball.

Mum's father Tom was also killed during this period, being knocked from his cycle by a lorry, making life on the smallholding difficult.

Mum and Dad married on 1st July 1939 in this church, the reception being in the old village hall, with photographs taken on the cricket field.

War started and Dad was called up for service, going for training in Dorchester. As all the men had been called up, Mum became a post woman, delivering the mail by cycle to various parts of Uplyme.

After the war Gran Crichard bought Penrith House in Church Street, Mum and Dad living there until the new council houses were built in Whalley Lane. Janet was born in 1945, Mum lost a baby son a couple of years later and I was born in 1949. Mum's mother died and Mum cared for her brother Tommy until his death in February 2003.

Jan and I had an idyllic childhood, not rich in possessions or material things, but very wealthy in the love and affection from our Mum and Dad. It seemed the summers were always long and hot, Dad playing cricket, Mum doing the teas, Jan doing the scoring and me playing in the adjacent fields and particularly the river, which surrounded the ground. Cream teas and the annual holiday in Brixham, always in September of course, after the cricket season; fishing trips from the Cobb, and long country walks, birds nesting, where Mum would identify birds along with the different wild flowers and trees around us.

Mum and Dad bought their own home and we moved to Wessex Way at Yawl. Within a short time the large plot was turned into a productive vegetable garden, with beautiful flower beds. I remember having to earn my pocket money digging and helping in the garden.

Dad was taken from us in 1971 at the age of 52 and Mum never fully recovered from the loss. The only sad thing about our lives was the separation of Mum and Dad at such an early age and the relatively short time they spent together.

Mum has joined him and I know she will be very happy.

Mum loved cooking and company and her door was always left unlocked in case someone was passing, a kettle and teapot were always on the stove together with home made cake in a tin nearby. Any problems were, and appeared to be, solved with a 'nice' cup of tea. Most of our cousins stayed for various lengths of time, all of them of course loving their Auntie Ivy.

I remember on many occasions, when the Crichard clam gathered together, the excited conversation of all the sisters talking at the same time, it must have been the only time that brother Tommy was pleased to have his affliction.

In the fullness of time both Jan and I married and Mum loved and treasured her grandchildren as they came along, Maria, Mark, Samantha and Gary and I know they felt the same towards their Nan. All especially looked forward to Sunday roast lunches, and teas, the particular favourites being coffee and chocolate cakes, followed by date and walnut loaf and scones with lashings of cream and jam.

Great Grandson Charlie came along and he too became the apple of Nan's eye. Mum loved all of her family and dedicated herself to us. She had a huge heart and caring nature and we all loved her dearly.

Six months ago Mum moved to Tudor Cottage Nursing Home in Axminster. I will treasure forever her recent 90th birthday when we all gathered together and she looked so well and really tucked into her birthday tea. She didn't go much on the champagne though but still managed two glasses.

I would like to thank the staff at Tudor Cottage for all their love, care and attention, especially Sue, Jenny and Barbara, who Mum referred to as her adopted daughters. Mum really enjoyed her short time there and was very happy.

Finally I would like to say to Mum the words she used to say to Jan and I when going to bed as children, after a kiss she would say goodnight, God bless, sleep tight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: