uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for the GAY FAMILY in Uplyme

View previous topic :: View next topic  
angels67

PostPosted: 26/07/07, 15:50    Post subject: Looking for the GAY FAMILY in Uplyme Reply with quote

Hello All.

I have been searching my Family Tree for about 8 years now and knew that my Grand-father was born in Axminster, did not know exactly where though.

Over the past ten years have visited Musbury often for Holidays etc, then to my surprise found that my Grand-father was raised in Musbury (FAIRY LANE). Anybody know where this is ?

I have now discovered that his father GEORGE GAY lived in Uplyme, THE BUILDINGS which I am told is by Shapwick Farm. George was born approx 1856 and died 1908, he was only 52, cause of death 'SUICIDE BY HANGING'. Crying or Very sad I have contacted Carol from the church and she tells me that George is not buried there, he maybe in the Crem.

Does anybody know anything about George and his Family, His wife was Mary and they had 7 chidren.

I would be very grateful for any information possible, many thanks in Advance... Laughing Andrea.

I have since discovered that THE BUILDINGS is now named THE LONGHOUSE just off Cuckoo Lane, this is where George HUNG himself. Can anyone enlightened me with more information please...
peachy

PostPosted: 07/02/09, 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking through the community messages and came across the one about the Gay family. I know you posted this some time ago but I have some info that may be of use.
I lived at Cuckoo Hill in the 40's with my parents Gilbert and Lilian Peach. I remember that Tommy Gay would come up to our house to on Sunday mornings and help my father by sawing wood for the fire. This he did every Sunday. My mother always gave him his dinner. He would not eat with us but carried it home to his house in Cuckoo Lane.He lived in the end house of the place you call The Buildings. I remember going into his house which was very primative.. Tommy Gay was about 80 or 90years old as I remember. He had a brother who lived in the village just above the main road in Gore Lane. I cannot remember much about him. I remember my father saying that they never spoke to each other.
Tommy lived alone and was a typical old countryman. He never said a lot but enjoyed helping my father
I am now 76. Ilived in Uplyme until 1950. I cannot remember what became of the old chap.

a
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: