uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Streetlights responsible for 40% of EDDC's CO2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoff

PostPosted: 03/12/07, 08:43    Post subject: Streetlights responsible for 40% of EDDC's CO2 Reply with quote

Recently there have been a couple of nights when the streetlights in Lyme Rd failed to come on. What a fantastic revelation it has been. I have come to the conclusion that street lighting is completely unnecessary after midnight and of questionable use after 10pm.

I see that EDDC have been looking into this during the year. In "The Knowledge (12/1/07)" it was stated...

Devon street lights may be turned off to cut carbon emissions
Thousands of street lights could be dimmed or removed in Devon to help combat global warming. Devon's highways department says that street lighting is responsible for nearly 40% of the county council's carbon footprint. The council has been working with the police over road safety and assessing areas with low levels of crime at night. Campaigners have voiced some concerns over the proposal, citing the potential consequences of the measures on both road safety and crime.
Times p24 11/1/07

I for one hope we see some action very soon and start saving money, CO2 and light pollution.

Geoff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: