uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bird Species in Uplyme.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Wildlife and the Environment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martyn

PostPosted: 20/02/09, 09:08    Post subject: Bird Species in Uplyme. Reply with quote

I've only lived here a few months, but have so far noticed the following 21 species in my garden.
There must be many more I've not seen around yet.
Anybody seen any unusual ones?

Blackbird
Blue Tit
Coal Tit
Great Tit
Long-Tailed Tit
Nuthatch
Robin
Green Woodpecker
Greater Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Wren
Gold Crest
Buzzard
Herring Gull
Chaffinch
Dunnock
Tawny Owl
Pigeon
Magpie
Wood pigeon
House Sparrow
geoff

PostPosted: 23/02/09, 08:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of interest, do we have Barn Owls in or around the village ? I saw a piece on the TV the other night suggesting they are getting pretty rare.

G.
alcairns@aol.com

PostPosted: 24/02/09, 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

A year ago I saw a dipper in the river lim at the bottom of the garden (Glebelands). On several occasions I have also seen Kingfishers darting up and down the river.
Martyn

PostPosted: 25/02/09, 09:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent this yesterday, but it didn't seem to get through.....
I know there are Barn Owls in the Marshwood Vale, I've seen them. But I've not seen one yet in the area around Uplyme.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 03/03/09, 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding seeing barn owls in Uplyme I wouldn’t hold your breath Martyn. I have lived in the Rhode Hill area for 20 years and have never seen one in the parish. Apparently the year before we moved in they bred for the last time in an outbuilding at the Dairy House Rhode Hill. I don’t know if the reason for their demise was because netting was put across the entrance to the loft or that the purpose of it was to keep out stock doves, perhaps mistakenly identified as “pigeons”, that moved in later.
The nearest record of one that I know was one that roosted for a few days in a cowshed at Monkton Wyld Court probably 15 years ago.

The other owl that seemed to disappear soon after the barn owl was the little owl, which in the first year or two of moving in here one often perched on a telegraph pole in the garden. Also one was often seen around the western lower end of Rhode Lane.

I suppose these are just two of the many species of animals being affected by progress and modern farming methods. How long ago did we loose the lapwing, the partridge and even the corncrake from the parish, all ground nesting birds not to mention the skylark which I believe just manages to hang on.

As for the number of birds I have seen/heard in/over or from my garden I have just had a tally up and it comes to 95 species, although one of these was an escaped Harris Hawk. As for unusual ones I suppose you could include in this category things like hoopoe, red and black kite, golden oriole, black redstart and firecrest
Martyn

PostPosted: 04/03/09, 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Rhodie, 95 species is a lot; don't think I could even name that many.
We have a lot of pairs at the moment, in Rocombe, which is nice to see.
ie a pair of Jays, pair of Nuthatch, pair of Buzzard, pair of Blackbird, pair of Magpie. We have a regular Tawny and another closeby somewhere, they talk to each other regularly.
Martyn

PostPosted: 14/06/11, 08:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our local pair of Tawnys is now raising its single youngster. Sits in one of our trees almost all day now. Parents still feeding it, but less and less frequently. Beautiful thing.
Also, yesterday, whilst walking down Jericho way, I saw the first Dipper I've seen in this area. Very fast fly-past, but I'm sure it was a Dipper.
Martyn

PostPosted: 14/06/11, 08:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

About two months ago I saw five large birds, all mobbing the tree with the owl box in it. I didn't know whether the box was occupied then but I assume so.
They were hard to see through the branches. Initial glance I thought Hoopoes, then I thought 'No, can't be', then I thought Jays, but I've never seen five large Jays together like that before.
Then they disappeared, really fast.
Still don't know what they were.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 16/06/11, 08:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you Martyn Tawny Owls have now been added to the Breeding Bird Atlas as confirmed breeders in square SY39. See post, http://uplyme.com/debate/viewtopic.php?t=601
Now what about Collared Dove.

I am certain that the bird you saw at Jericho was a Dipper they have been proved breeding for the Atlas. In fact I am told that birders in London who desperately ‘must have’ a Dipper for their yearly list are recommended Lyme Regis to ‘get it’. What’s 150 miles for a twitcher?

As for the large birds mobbing your owl box. If they were Jays I am sure there would have been a lot of screeching involved. Even birds that don’t usually flock will gang up to mob something. A couple of weeks ago I saw a group of 17 Crows mobbing something in Sleech Wood. Then suddenly they all lost interest and went off singly or in pairs in all directions.

Any Kingfishers Martyn?
Martyn

PostPosted: 16/06/11, 09:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can definitely confirm baby Tawny Owl in the garden.
We used to get loads of Collared Doves, and hundreds of House Sparrows, when I lived in Hawkchurch, but none here in Uplyme - strange.
Did have four Bullfinches together last weekend though.
Martyn

PostPosted: 16/06/11, 09:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might call the baby owl 'Astrix'.
Martyn

PostPosted: 20/07/11, 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw, and heard, a Green Woodpecker last night. What a noisy b*****!
Martyn

PostPosted: 08/05/12, 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhodie,
Can definately confirm Dippers breeding on the Blackwater, just North-East of Hawkchurch this year.
That any use to your survey thing?
Rhodie

PostPosted: 10/05/12, 06:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martyn

Thanks for the news of the dippers on the Blackwater. Good to know but unfortunately the Breeding Bird Atlas fieldwork finished last year.

Have your local swallows and house martins returned yet?

Early migrants, blackcaps, chiffchaffs and willow warblers, were very early this year because of the excellent weather for migration. Then with the official announcement that the South West was also in a drought zone the inevitable deluge began and seriously curtailed migration. Still a lot of catching up to do but it is also possible that large numbers of migrants died due to the adverse conditions and numbers will be low this year.
Martyn

PostPosted: 10/05/12, 07:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have seen lots of swallows near Blackpool corner, but none at all in Rocombe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Wildlife and the Environment All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: