uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parish News -Mag- Feedback

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodie

PostPosted: 05/08/09, 06:54    Post subject: Parish News -Mag- Feedback Reply with quote

As the The Uplyme Parish News is available on the Uplyme website perhaps feedback to the articles could be made on the Uplyme Debate. The great advantage in this would be the speed of communication.

Any feedback to the current August/September edition of the Mag of course would not be published until the October edition. What’s more copy for the October edition must be in by 10th September. This results in some articles appearing quite out of date by the time they appear. For instance lets take the contribution “Out & About with John Pennington”. In the August /September edition John refers to the “decent weather we have had of late”. When did he write that piece? Also that he has "not seen many [butterflies] at all this year”. Judging by what I’ve seen we seem to be having one of our best butterfly years for many years. This is probably due to the wonderful weather we had in the spring. The butterflies would then have had perfect breeding conditions and some of the progeny can now be seen. Fine examples are the fresh bright Painted Ladies who’s parents probably migrated from Morocco in late winter or early spring.

I am also interested in John’s reference to “A cuckoo” resident in the Rhode Hill area and “kingfisher sightings”. Living in the Rhode Hill area I would like to know a bit more about that cuckoo. Until about three years ago I used to hear at least one migrant calling each year but since then nothing. This is a species that is in serious decline.

In order to obtain an up to date record of the distribution of breeding birds in Britain, including cuckoos, the British Trust for Ornithology is currently engaged in a four year project to do so. This being the second year of the field work. Basically the country is divided into 10 km squares and the object is to prove breeding in each of these squares. Uplyme, Lyme Regis and Charmouth lie in the Ordinance Survey square of SY39. I have put on the internet a table of the current position regarding SY39. The table is available at: http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~rhg/atlassy39.htm
If you can improve the status of any species on the list or even add another species can you please contact me preferably by a PM as the information may be sensitive.
geoff

PostPosted: 05/08/09, 08:28    Post subject: Good idea. Reply with quote

That is very good idea Rhodie. Anyone who wishes to comment on Parish News articles, or indeed anything that concerns the village is more than welcome to do so here in the Uplyme Debate.

Anyone having problems creating an account (it literally takes less than 30 seconds) please email me webmaster@uplyme.com and I will set you up a ready-to-use account.

Admin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: