uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bottle Inn has closed.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoff

PostPosted: 28/09/09, 10:45    Post subject: Bottle Inn has closed. Reply with quote

Uplyme.com has it on good authority that the Bottle Inn at Marshwood has closed. There is a strong rumour that the current tenents have not been seen since the lucrative 'World Famous' nettle eating contest was held there a few weeks ago.

We understand that the owner who lives in Australia is returning to survey the situation.

G.

Last edited by geoff on 03/06/11, 07:39; edited 1 time in total
Gilly

PostPosted: 28/09/09, 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

been closed for ages................... big shame
geoff

PostPosted: 29/09/09, 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reckon it will open again as a pub ?
geoff

PostPosted: 19/04/10, 07:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been contacted by the previous tennant of the Bottle to correct this story from his point of view. Rory Macleod (previoustennant here on the forum) says things were not quite as the rumours of the day suggested. He gave his permission for his email to be reproduced here, but I have removed possibly libellous direct references to others.

" I was the elusive previous tennant, I noticed the forum on the closure and was saddened by the fact that people are insinuating that I did a runner shortly after the stinging nettle event. Not true, I was in the process of redecorating the pub for 6 weeks after the event, out of my own pocket as always ...

As for the nettles being lucrative - to a degree yes, but by the time the circling vultures had their cut there was very little left ... the beer alone cost 7000). Some facts that might shed light on the subject:-

- Shotly after taking over the pub, we were threatened with closure by the Environmental Health Officer because of the acutely dire state of the kitchen, both for hygiene and health and safety reasons. I'm certain these facts are publicly availiable. This had to be rectified by myself, from the little profit the pub was making at that time. I recieved NO financial assistance from the landlord, not even in the form of rent relief.

- I was threatened with procecution several times ... because of the complete and utter underinvestment in the exterior of the building, ie carpark and steps to the garden.

- I made the decision to leave at the end of July, after a poor summer and when the landlord, from his amazingly convenient vantage point in Australia, got wind of the pubs financial problem and instructed someone to lock me out of the pub (the same someone who claimed to be acting in the interest of the 'locals' had used the pub once in the 2 years). I resided there, both as landlord and working under the previous tennant. ... when I went to protect my inward investment (ie fixtures and fittings) that I paid substaintially over the odds for, the police where called and it MUST be stated that they said 'I was acting within my leagl rights'. from that point on the whole thing got particularly ugly...

- I have had ALL my possesions taken from me including bank accounts, vehichle, shares and anything else of value as part of the insolvence (hardly the action of someone wishing to make a fast, underhand profit).

- Lastly, I genuinely believe that the premises will always struggle - ultimately to the point of delicensing... This, coupled with many other factors (2.5K / annum just for the right to play cd's and have a live band once a week) led to myself having to leave. I havent made it difficult for the ingoing tennants (bearing in mind the fee i paid for the 'rights to the world stinging nettle eating championship', another 4K) so I simply cannot understand the animosity.

At the end of the day, If people used their local pubs, rather than sitting at home musing as to why they are shutting, the scenario might be wholesomely different. The only people that lost out here were the people that used the pub and myself, having borrowed heavilly from my family to try and keep the place afloat.

Hope this might clear atleast a few things up

Rory Macleod.
(previous tennant of the Bottle Inn, Marshwood)

geoff

PostPosted: 19/04/10, 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that a new tenant has been found and will be re-opening the pub later this month. I wonder if the issues that previoustennent raises have been addressed ?
bear

PostPosted: 19/04/10, 13:34    Post subject: Bottle lost?? Reply with quote

Seems a shame but I frequented this watering hole many times.
Like many half decent country pubs it served as a troughing point for various forms of parasite, such as absentee landlords not maintaining the fabric, over-priced brewery products--cheaper in Tesco/Asda, Licences for this Licences for that,Council Business Tax.etc etc. No smoking.etc etc

All taking out , but putting nothing back but criticism.
English rural pubs are being ruined by micro-management of our lives by shedloads of blood-sucking parasites masquerading as do-gooders, but in essence building themselves petty empires .
When will they stop--or be stopped.??

Its been a long time since we had a stocks and pillory locally. Time some Gummint types seeking to do us all a disservice were stuck in there for a week.
Hoodlum

PostPosted: 11/01/11, 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoff wrote:
It seems that a new tenant has been found and will be re-opening the pub later this month. I wonder if the issues that previoustennent raises have been addressed ?

And it's closed again!

It was gaining quite a reputation for it's Sunday carvery but I guess you can't run a business on one day a weeks takings.
Driver

PostPosted: 12/01/11, 07:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoodlum wrote:
geoff wrote:

And it's closed again!

It was gaining quite a reputation for it's Sunday carvery but I guess you can't run a business on one day a weeks takings.

This could be only the start (again) I know one local landlord who for the last 3 years has had no time off works seven days a week with his wife to run a decent pub for what a profit of less than 7 K a year.
geoff

PostPosted: 12/01/11, 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all comes down to something that 'previoustenant' said here in April last year "...If people used their local pubs, rather than sitting at home musing as to why they are shutting, the scenario might be wholesomely different." The thing is that Marshwood is only a small village several miles from any kind of population centre, so people 'going to their local pub' will not be driving several miles down the road to the Bottle.

It is a shame as it's a nice old pub with quite a nice garden, but apart from the bizarre nettle eating contest, it doesn't have anything special enough to overcome the need to drive there. It was only in the past when Chloe (Shane Pym's other half) built up something of a reputation for organic food there that it broke through the complacency barrier and seemed to do well.

I still maintain that while pubs charge 2 minimum for a pint of coke (I have seen it at 4/pint in Lyme) and nearly 3 for a pint of ale (heading for 4 for premium lagers) they will experience a dwindling market increasingly based on a seasonal tourist trade. Year-round local drinkers that pay a pub's bills in the Winter can only afford a certain amount of leisure spending, so if beer prices keep going up, they will go out less.

Let's not forget that a pub buys beers from the brewery at very roughly 65 for 9 galls (72 pints) ie. just under a pound a pint and we all know what Coke costs as we buy it in the supermarket by the 4L bottle (let alone the horrible postmix liquid they call Coke which must be even cheaper).

Bear with me, but perhaps there is a new (old) model of pub that needs to be retried - the ale or cider house. Simple premises with basic seating and tables, stone floor maybe with (yep, you guessed it) sawdust to soak up slops. 2 or 3 interesting real ales and a couple of ciders on sale from temperature-controlled casks at the back of the bar at around 2.25/pint (markup of a mere 125% !). Basic food only, such as good local warm pasties or pies for 1 and normal crisps for 25p. Coke in cans and tetrapacked juices from a jug in the fridge. Very low outgoings, ie. No jukebox, no kitchen, no sky telly, no interest to pay on equipment. Staff of two, serving/collecting glasses/ washing up. Maybe a piano - who knows you might even get some traditional pub singing going. The traditional nature of the place would attract drinkers and news of the low prices would spread rapidly.

Maybe I am dreaming, but I've a funny feeling it could just work if the pub industry stopped being so damn greedy.

G.
Rev

PostPosted: 12/01/11, 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sound of that Geoff - really - sounds warm and hearty. Perhaps a bit like the pub version of the Town Mill Bakery? I wonder if it would make money though? Although I'm only new here, I heard that The Talbot used to be dead ten years ago. It's certainly not dead now. So maybe there is something to be said for the Sky TV, etc.

I had a pint and food at at the Kings Arms in Seaton today - a proper locals pub, and one of the last pubs not to have Sky TV. It was a bit like stepping back in time - although the food prices were cheaper than some, it is still very expensive to eat out at a pub these days.

We were lamenting the lack of a cafe space (again) today. There is nowhere to get a cheap meal, meet members of the community, etc. We wondered if the Village Hall would be interested in developing the patio space - putting in a conservatory cafe, and whether it could be run as a community cafe. Lucy and I ran a successful community cafe in Bath for a couple of years. We offered quality home-cooked food, good coffee and a welcoming space. The old people loved it, families loved it. We made enough to pay a kitchen manager, and the rest were volunteers. We didn't have a piano, but we did have local bands playing, BBQs, etc.

One of our plans was to open the cafe in the evenings, get a license to sell the odd beer, and create a venue for couples and families to go out for a cheap but quality meal.

In line with your thinking Geoff, we kept our overheads low by simplifying. For example, we had only two main course menu items (plus baked spuds and toasties/sarnies). A quality meal with pudding and tea or coffee was a fiver - and we didn't scrimp. We also had volunteers making home-made cakes (all health-checked premises of course).

There seems to be a lot of good-will for such a venture, and certainly the church would be behind it. I wonder if it is even possible?
Donna22

PostPosted: 13/01/11, 06:49    Post subject: from the bottle inn website Reply with quote

from the bottle inn website

Shelly and Simon will no longer be trading at the Bottle Inn from Sunday the 9th of January 2011.

We would like to thank all of the customers for their love and support during our short time here at the Bottle Inn.

The Bottle Inn will be temporarily closed for re-thatching and other renovations

with an eye towards re-opening around Easter.

Watch this space for further information.
Rod

PostPosted: 28/02/11, 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usual tripe from geoff. Interesting to read of your thoughts on monopolies on a former post, maybe you should share out your webmaster role. Do you think you could keep your dated and somewhat incorrect points of view to yourself (well as best as you can) unless of course you have some form of evidence.
Perhaps rather than blaming the pub for higher prices you should consider the tax man and all the other government created companies that cash in on pubs, and even if you had a piano you'd still have to pay a license for live music, a real idiotic comment and if a pub like that did exist it would go bust as people like you would complain about saw dust on your glass and would not attend much like you don't frequent your current local.
Donna22

PostPosted: 01/03/11, 06:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is plenty of evidence there is now only 1 pub in Uplyme when years ago there was at least 3 and a hotel you could drink in that i can think of.

Some of us respect Geoff and his opinion this is the whole point of having The Uplyme Debate where people can put their point of views and everyone opinion counts.

Maybe you should read what Geoff wrote again as i think you have taken it the wrong way.
geoff

PostPosted: 01/03/11, 09:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod wrote:
Interesting to read of your thoughts on monopolies on a former post, maybe you should share out your webmaster role.

Good to hear that you are a regular reader Rod, but I think you misunderstand the nature of monopolies. This open forum exists for anyone to freely speak their mind on Uplyme related subjects - even when their views are as negative as yours. I see you have posted seven messages here in three topics. One topic, started by yourself, complaining about old people in the village, another complaining about Lyme Regis, where you suggested the village be renamed 'South Roderton' and the third where you have dropped into this discussion of pub closures to complain some more (though it is good to see that you have now nearly mastered the use of capital letters).

Rod wrote:
Do you think you could keep your dated and somewhat incorrect points of view to yourself (well as best as you can) unless of course you have some form of evidence.

Firstly, I am just as entitled to state my own opinion as you are and secondly, as Donna points out, you can see the evidence all around you. As I said in a previous post, while pubs charge 2 minimum for a pint of coke (I have seen it at 4/pint in Lyme) and nearly 3 for a pint of ale (heading for 4 for premium lagers) they will experience a dwindling market increasingly based on the occasional seasonal tourist trade. The pub industry is simply too greedy. As Donna also pointed out, there used to be 4 bars in Uplyme and now there is only one - and that very nearly failed until Steve took it over and brought it back from the brink of extinction.

So Rod, you didn't like my Cider House idea, why don't you tell us your vision for the pub of the future ?

Geoff.
Polly

PostPosted: 01/03/11, 11:06    Post subject: Bottle Inn, Marshwood Reply with quote

Thank you for all your comments re The Bottle Inn at Marshwood. -I love all the comments from people who wouldn't know how to run a pub if it hit them in the face, The reall reason that the Bottle has closed in the last couple of years is because of the incomptence of the tenants - who have had every opportunity in the world but are just unable to run a business of any kind, How do I know this you ask? _ I live in Australia and am the owner. So we shall be coming to look at things shortly- but I would like to add this point - the owners cannot upgrade if they have idiot tenants who cannot pay their rent ( at a very low rate I might add!!).
This is a very succesful pub run by the right tenant!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: