uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bottle Inn has closed.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoff

PostPosted: 01/03/11, 11:19    Post subject: Disclaimer Reply with quote

Just a quick general reminder that posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster.

Webmaster.
Rod

PostPosted: 01/03/11, 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol i can read and complaining about the price of said things such as coke is again down to the amount of tax incurred as well as the cost of running a public house. I suppose you assume donna that a pub runs on the hot air generated by some very self opinionated people such as yourself. A rise in all forms of costs such as gas, water, electricity, minimum wage, VAT, entertainment licenses, tv license, Sky, food prices not to mention a hike in tax on beer prices.
To put it simply calling landlords greedy for simpling raising prices apporpiately is ridiculous and has to fall in line with what is becoming a more expensive time.
As for a better idea Geoff I would say supporting your local business by shopping/attending more regulary would help as i'm very sure I've seen you in the so called 'dreaded' Tesco, theres just quite a few busy bodies who like to complain/not utilise a business until its gone/going and then its the end of the world. 25p crisps is a thing of the past. The pub for the future is supported by its locals who know that a pint today will cost around £3. I'd love to see how often you would frequent if steve sold it and it became a weatherspoons and see then if you'd swap a homely pub for cheap beer and all the negatives it would also entail.
I've no problem with people airing their opinion and i would happily respect it but when it contradicts what they rattle on about on other sub-headings then I do find it rather annoying. You don't need to repeat yourself geoff, you take up enough space with your comments already.

Finally nice cop out with the last comment but unfortunately you are the webmaster.
geoff

PostPosted: 01/03/11, 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, Rob, maybe if you just calmed down a bit you'd make a bit more sense. There is no contradiction in what I have said at any point and as for where I shop/drink/etc that's entirely up to me. Also, just for the record, it is a very rare occasion when you will find me anywhere near Tescos, so I think you are misinformed to say the very least.
T Total

PostPosted: 01/03/11, 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most enjoyable reading gentleman. There are good and poor points on both sides, Which I am sure both Geoff and Rod can see, Without myself taking a certain point of view. Given this pub has had harsh couple of years maybe the current owner may like to improve the apperance and structal issues of the building to help any new tenants attract new and passing trade therefore to increase the profit both parties landlord and tenant.
Donna22

PostPosted: 02/03/11, 06:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked in plenty of pubs and hotels in Uplyme and Lyme Regis and i havent said anything about prices, Yes the tax man is to blame when he adds 2p the pubs add 10p which soon adds up.

It also depends on how much you buy and where you get it from, there is a pub in Lyme the sells the same pint as most places in Uplyme and the rest in Lyme yet can sell it for nearly 70p a pint less.

I do think its wrong that soft drinks as as expensive as beer esp when we dont want people to drink drive. its when you know that its been bought from Tesco for a £1 a bottle yet they sell it double that for a glass.
Rod

PostPosted: 02/03/11, 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not irate, I just enjoy fishing for wums like you. I can't be bothered to copy and paste geoff which would show your contradictions. However i do think you should consider your wide of the mark prices and ill-concieved ideas as somewhat ridiculous and as I'VE seen you in the 'dreaded' tesco I wouldn't say I was ill-informed. I think you should write a little less and you might remember what you prattle on about from time to time.
I know you never said anything about prices donna hence i wasn't talking to you when i mentioned them but why should a pub host and entertain people who only want to pay £1.50, does an extra 50 pence really kill you.
Finally if you don't like the prices of somewhere why don't you just go somewhere else, we all know its the same story through lyme and upylme, I'm fairly sure bridport has a spoons where big spenders like you can enjoy your cheap pints served in a not so lovely environment.
Martyn

PostPosted: 08/03/11, 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to follow Rod's language sometimes, but it's interesting to see a lively debate.
I used to go to the Talbot when I moved here a couple of years ago. I used to take my dog in there after a walk. Then Steve suddenly decided that dogs were no longer allowed (I'd been there many times, with my dog, before this); he very rudely told me to get out of the pub (after he'd waited 'til I'd bought a pint).
So now I don't go to the Talbot any more.
I imagine it's hard for landlords to get new customers, but it is, unfortunately, quite easy to lose them.
Rev

PostPosted: 11/03/11, 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not my experience of the Talbot. I have, at all times, found Steve, Wendy and the regulars to be a most welcoming and friendly bunch. Running a pub (from what I can see) is an exhausting 24/7 business. It's incredibly hard work with long hours. It's not everyone's cup of tea ('scuse the pun you ale drinkers). In Uplyme, we are blessed to have such excellent centres of community - the pub, the church, the shop, school, cricket club, etc. A good pub landlord/lady does more for the community than just serve drinks and this is certainly true of Steve.
Martyn

PostPosted: 14/03/11, 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak from experience.
The regulars in the Talbot were very welcoming to a newcomer to the village.
However the owner wasn't.
I have a lot of friends come to visit and we now tend to go to the Pilot, in Lyme, or if we're walking, the Hunters Lodge. They both do great food, are very friendly and, or course, they let me take the dog in.
I always find myself recommending these two to visitors over the Talbot, which is a shame; I'd much rather be able to recommend my local.
My main gripe was that I'd been in many times before, with the dog, and really enjoyed it.
Steve's choice of course - he owns the place Sad.
It's just a shame that I don't feel that I've got a local. Mind you, it's probably saved me quite a few bob over the last couple of years.
truthinadvertising

PostPosted: 15/06/11, 06:41    Post subject: bottle inn closed Reply with quote

surely the best place for a bar in Uplyme is the church?
Never closes or is likely too.
Get him on your mobile, rev and ask god if its part of his mission
geoff

PostPosted: 16/06/11, 07:14    Post subject: New Tenant Reply with quote

uplyme.com has it on good authority that a new manager has taken over who is refurbishing the Bottle. They hope to reopen at the end of the month. Watch the forum for further details from the new landlord !

G.
pipes

PostPosted: 24/06/11, 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hope the new tenants are not funding any of this themselves. They will find, inevitably, that it only goes to line the coffers of the property owner. The previous tenants found this to their cost, that after agreeing an amount of work to be completed by each party, theirs was done and none of the promised works were carried out by the almost impossible to reach, errant owner. The fact they closed on 9/1 was only 2 weeks earlier than they would have been forced to close, due to lack of license and insurance (both of which had been granted on a 6 month basis on the proviso that works were completed to make the building safe and habitable). Mrs. Brooks, I donít know how you are so au fait with the british economy within the hospitality industry whilst ensconced in the ivory tower of Australia. In my opinion the bottle lacked kerb appeal, the car park was so rutted it would ruin your car and what little of the thatch was left was rotting and discoloured and the collapsed bottle store an eyesore. Inside, although attempts had been made to titivate, the black treacley deposits on the walls around the chimney, broken and missing light fittings, backing up toilets, frequent power cuts due to faulty wiring and efferluescent salts coming out of the walls due to damp were also not the greatest of tourist attractions! Many people I have spoken to uphold these opinions. That is not the only thing that caused the closure, but it was a major contributing factor. The tax man is another contributing factor, beer in pubs is so expensive it makes going out for a few pints on a regular basis unattractive when buying from the supermarkets is a third of the price. Their menus were a little uninspired but the carvery was getting quite a name for itself. So I think mrs. Brooks insinuation that it was down to their incompetence was incorrect. And was as insulting as the remarks that you saw fit to remove from this thread by myself and Marshwood vale cider! I can re- post this as many times as you can remove it!
geoff

PostPosted: 25/06/11, 09:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarshwoodValeCider wrote:
They paying you then Geoff, why have the last two posts been removed? is this a free forum or are we being controlled by a dictator? Sieg Heil, Sieg Heil,Sieg Heil.

Pipes and MarshwoodValeCider,

Regular readers of the forum will know that I only ever pull a posting as a last resort. The T&Cs of the forum require postings to be non libellous and I felt that you were getting pretty near the knuckle as I explained to you in the PMs I sent you both. If you wish to discuss this policy further then feel free to PM me.

I strongly uphold the principle of free speech - it is one of the main reasons I go to the trouble of providing the forum and just for the record - no, I am not being paid by the pub.

G.
Gilly

PostPosted: 11/07/11, 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website looks better than the pub, at the mo..... drive past everyday, just looks a bit sad. Gone are the days of nipping in there after Parents' Evening at Marshwood for a half..... Sad

And, let's not get too flippant with the sieg heils, eh?? I'm sure you have your reasons, but it could be pretty insensitive to some people.
T Total

PostPosted: 27/07/11, 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont rush to scorn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: