uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The ghost of the Black Dog

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry Rogers

PostPosted: 14/01/10, 22:17    Post subject: The ghost of the Black Dog Reply with quote

While walking my springer spaniel on my regular foray down haye lane this evening I felt the presence of another party. Suggs, my dog, was seriously disturbed, causing him to bolt. I called after Suggs and ran after him as he headed into the nearby field, as I reached the stile I felt a sudden shiver and a strange quiet descended around me. I turned and saw what seemed to be a dark shadow close to the ground moving silently away from me towards lyme road, my attention soon returned to Suggs who I found cowering in the bottom of the field. After much coaxing I managed to retrieve my dog and head home, without any further strange occurrences.

If it was not for my dog's reaction I would have let this go.

I wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar? I should interject I consider myself a sane middle aged man who is not easily scared.
geoff

PostPosted: 15/01/10, 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barry,

How weird! Are you aware of the legend of the Black Dog ?

You can read more in the Uplyme History page on Uplyme.com: http://www.uplyme.com/index.php?village_life-history . You will find a link at the top right that takes you to some research by Dr. Simon Sherwood of University College Northampton.

Haye Lane is certainly a spooky place at night.

G.
Barry Rogers

PostPosted: 15/01/10, 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

I'll have a look, many thanks Geoff, regards Barry.
simidge

PostPosted: 16/01/10, 11:15    Post subject: Re: The ghost of the Black Dog Reply with quote

Hi Barry,

This is Simon Sherwood whom Geoff mentioned in his post. I do research into unusual experiences, such as apparitions of Black Dogs, and have a page about the Black Dog of Uplyme on my website, which also features a couple of other accounts of encounters down Haye Lane that might interest you.

http://nli.northampton.ac.uk/ass/psych-staff/sjs/Uplyme.htm

I was fascinated to hear about your experience given the history of unusual experiences in the lane. Sadly I didn't encounter anything myself during my visits in the past.

I would be interested in finding out a bit more about your recent experience either via this forum or privately via e-mail if you'd be willing to discuss it a bit further: Simon.Sherwood@northampton.ac.uk

It's interesting that your dog seemed to react to something and run away. This is not uncommon in cases of alleged hauntings.

Best

Simon
Barry Rogers

PostPosted: 18/01/10, 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon,
I've just read your Black Dog of Uplyme page, which I found absolutely intriguing.
With regard to my experience, the thing that I found most frightening was Suggs's reaction, he is usually bold and would not shy away from any situation, but to see him run like that was shocking. I can only presume Suggs saw something.
We are still taking our usual evening walks along Haye Lane and have had no other encounters, although Suggs does pick up the pace as we approach the stile. I'll keep you informed.
regards Barry and Suggs.
simidge

PostPosted: 18/01/10, 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barry (and Suggs),

I am glad that my webpage was of interest. I wondered whether you might allow me to add your account to it (anonymously of course)?

Thanks for giving me a bit more information about Sugg's reaction and normal character - that was one of the things I was going to ask you.

I am intrigued by your experience and have a few questions if you have a moment or two?

May I ask you roughly what time this experience took place?

You mentioned that "I felt the presence of another party". Can you tell me any more about this aspect? Was it just a sense that popped into your head that there was someone or something else there?

You mentioned that "I turned and saw what seemed to be a dark shadow close to the ground moving silently away from me towards lyme road"

Did this shadow have any kind of shape to it? Did it change in size at all? Was the shadow cast onto the ground or onto or wall or something?

Best

Simon
Barry Rogers

PostPosted: 20/01/10, 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon,

The time was between 8 and 9 pm. As we were walking I felt we were being approached from the front by someone coming in the opposite direction, this lasted a few seconds, no one came into view, this is when Suggs bolted.

The shadow was very dark, almost black, hovering just above the road and very quick, it reminded me of a fast forwarded sequence of clouds you see in films. This disappeared very quickly and was of no particular shape that I can recollect.

I hope this of help and yes, you are welcome to recount my experience. If I think of anything else I will let you know,

regards Barry.
Rev

PostPosted: 20/01/10, 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving shadows are common when walking at night and the mind is prone to play tricks on even the most sane minds. It can certainly feel spooky when you're there on your own, especially as it is pitch black at 8pm at this time of year (not much of a moon at this time of the month). Perhaps it was a fox or a cat, or even the light from a distant vehicle or house casting a shadow that raced along the ground or hedge?
Rhodie

PostPosted: 22/01/10, 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry you have not yet answered Geoff's question.

" Are you aware of the legend of the Black Dog ?"

It would be interesting to know. But seeing that the subject is "The ghost of the Black Dog" I don't really need to ask that question. Do I?

In which case why didn't you answer it?

Sceptically yours,
Barry Rogers

PostPosted: 22/01/10, 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rev and Rhodie,

thanks for your comments, I am keeping an open mind.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 22/01/10, 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Barry refuses to answer Geoff's simple question I think that we can call the case closed! Confused

Shame I thought that this topic could run and run.
geoff

PostPosted: 23/01/10, 11:03    Post subject: Time for the BBC ? Reply with quote

I have heard say that animals are sensitive to things that we don't pick up Shocked

Is it Bell, Book and Candle time Rev ?

G.

Rev wrote:
Moving shadows are common when walking at night and the mind is prone to play tricks on even the most sane minds. It can certainly feel spooky when you're there on your own, especially as it is pitch black at 8pm at this time of year (not much of a moon at this time of the month). Perhaps it was a fox or a cat, or even the light from a distant vehicle or house casting a shadow that raced along the ground or hedge?

Rhodie

PostPosted: 23/01/10, 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff wrote:
animals are sensitive to things that we don't pick up

Yes we all know that animals can get wind of a coming earthquake and in a recent Radio 4 programme about working dogs they said that dogs can sense when someone is about to have an epileptic fit and whats more be trained to warn the person about the coming event. They can also detect explosives which can't be said about the bomb detectors sold to Iraq for millions of pounds by a Somerset businessman (see today's news or last night's News Night)

So whatever it is at the Black Dog I'm sure Suggs would pick it up before Barry would.
Barry Rogers

PostPosted: 25/01/10, 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
To clarify (Rhodie Very Happy) I heard of the legend soon after the incident, hence the title. The same person, my neighbour, also told me of this community forum.

The supernatural never really crossed my mind before this incident, now i feel there is something in it. I believe there is a ghost that dwells down Haye lane.

I also believe we must not think ghosts are negative things, the origins of the Black dog legend start with finding a pot full of gold, so to speak. The experience has had a positive effect on my life.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 26/01/10, 07:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Barry. The fact that the Black Dog legend was previously unknown to you throws an entirely different light on the matter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: