uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone voting in the General Election ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

2010 GENERAL ELECTION VOTING INTENTION
CONSERVATIVE
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
LABOUR
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
LIBERAL DEMOCRATS
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
UKIP
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
GREEN
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
OTHER
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
NOT VOTING
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 15

voluntaryist.uk

PostPosted: 23/03/10, 14:54    Post subject: Anyone voting in the General Election ? Reply with quote

Hi all,
Just wondering what the voting intentions in Uplyme are for the General Election 2010.

See mini-poll ABOVE.

NB. You must log in to vote and to see the results so far - admin
voluntaryist.uk

PostPosted: 24/03/10, 13:37    Post subject: wow, is anyone voting? Reply with quote

Wow, so far no one is voting for any main party & 75% are not voting at all, c'mon folk, lets have your reasons or not, share your passion.... why are you not voting, what's put you off? is it trust or lack of it, are they all crooks? is it a philosophical stance or other answer... lets have some meat in this sandwich, or at the very least some jam.....
geoff

PostPosted: 25/03/10, 08:13    Post subject: Voting ? - no point ! Reply with quote

There is no point in voting. The choice is between a handful of quite similar, power-hungry politicians who will promise the earth and then deliver only what suits their party. That isn't a choice that interests me.

This is not an act of disinterest, more an act of protest - for instance, I'd be perfectly happy to turn up and put my cross next to a box that said 'none of the above'.

Perhaps in this election the country will at last demonstrate its disdain for the lack of any real control over what happens in parliament. Perhaps politicians will have to start listening to us - the voiceless people who pay for it all year after year. Perhaps we will finally move to a democratic, partyless voting system where every vote counts, not just the ones in 'key marginals'.

We need to let them know that their recently uncovered fraud and deceiptfulness is unacceptable. It is a disgrace that so few of them have been prosecuted.

We need to be represented by our member for Parliament - they need to listen to us and to do what we want them to, but instead for decades they have put their own and party interests before those of the country, or its people.

Geoff.
voluntaryist.uk

PostPosted: 25/03/10, 09:15    Post subject: perhaps a poster would help?.... Reply with quote

Rev

PostPosted: 25/03/10, 10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no political corporate monster. Political parties are made up of people. Why not get to know your local councillors, representatives and MPs? Perhaps they are not the villains you think they are? Perhaps they are people passionate about social issues, injustice and who want to make a difference in our society? Perhaps these are people you could get behind and for whom you could vote?

If you do not vote - even if it as a noble protest - then you have no right to complain about the elected government. A refusal to vote is a vote for whichever party gets elected - and will result in seats given to parties with whom you may whole-heartedly disagree. Learn from history. People have actually fought and died to give us the freedom and right to vote. Apathy and indifference have paved the way for dictatorships that have ruined the lives of many. Do not let this happen again. Use your vote.
geoff

PostPosted: 25/03/10, 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rev wrote:
If you do not vote - even if it as a noble protest - then you have no right to complain about the elected government.

On the contrary, as a UK taxpayer, I help to pay for the infrastructure and government of this country and I will moan loud and long if I suspect my hard-earned cash is being squandered by the Government. By not voting, I am using the only channel of communication available to me to signal that I am utterly dissatisfied with the current undemocratic electoral system.

In their report ‘Election 2005: turnout”, the Electoral Commission said…

“…non-voting is the product of a broader political disengagement and that a section of the electorate are sceptical about the efficacy of voting at any election.”

Currently the choice available to me at the ballot box is the equivalent of "Do you wish to be run over by... 1) A bus, 2) A car or 3) A Taxi "
I suppose I just don't find any of the choices particulary appealing.

G
Rev

PostPosted: 25/03/10, 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely you have the right to moan loud and strong - do - it's essential! The point is that you can moan loud and strong because we have a democratically elected government. The fact is that (to a greater or lesser extent) the system worked. They got found out, prosecuted, and will find it hard to get re-elected... unless people don't vote Wink

Not voting at all doesn't communicate anything. For all they know you are apathetic or disinterested (and you are neither). And if we end up with an even less democratic electoral system, then what? If you're fed up with the mainstream parties, why not express this by voting for another party? If you are not voting because you wish to see electoral reform, why not vote for a party that supports electoral reform?
voluntaryist.uk

PostPosted: 25/03/10, 11:09    Post subject: Typical reply, don't vote don't complain! Reply with quote

This is a typical reply, don't vote, don't complain.

Yes, there are corporate political monsters, if there were not how long do you think a person would stand being in office? The gains they make far out-weight any trouble holding such office entails.

Your logic about not voting is flawed,

voting means nothing, it encourages participation in a coercive & destructive system, it gives sanction to evil, voting will not set you free or even restrain government. voting means you are prepared to accept the crumbs from the table that you PAID FOR! Government is a fundamentally coercive institution, and all services that they provide at at the barrel of a gun. That is not service that is theft.

Voting is a pitiful plea, a beg, a humble request, "please master, give me back a little bit of what you took from me under threat of force"

The reality of the state is that they will take what they want from you, because they have the guns, the jails, the police, the military etc. They will attempt to bribe you, to give them moral sanction for their theft, by getting you to participate in a system that "allows" you to choose this that & the other. Of course you can only choose your master, you cannot choose not to be a slave.

they take our money to reward their friends & to punish their enemies, it is all bribery, we cannot bribe them but that can bribe us with, tax breaks, more laws, less laws etc.

I am going to appeal to your base human pride, what a pitiful spectacle to beg our political masters for a few scraps back that they have stolen at gun point, how sad & pathetic is that. to run around begging to have what is rightfully ours returned to us!

You do not legitimize a violent, coercive, hierarchical, hegemonic, brutal system by pretending it is voluntary, by pretending we have a say, by pretending that the war of empire & violence. By voting you are legitimizing a fascist brutal dictatorship, you are effectively saying it is voluntary, when it is not.

and as for others dying for my "right" to vote, do not insult me, I fought for this country, I was a soldier, I knew comrades who died for my supposed "right to vote" They did not die for some lofty ideal, they died for their comrades, for their friends, not queen, not country & not some cooked up notion of "free & fair elections"

I am not apathetic, I am rampantly, vehemently anti-government I would fight any government that tries to take more of MY freedoms away, and I hope so would you & everyone else.

In the words of the well known phrase:

"DON'T VOTE, IT ONLY ENCOURAGES THEM"
Felicity Bagenal

PostPosted: 25/03/10, 11:33    Post subject: general election Reply with quote

We have had a secret ballot in this country as part of the democratic process since we got rid of the Rotten boroughs and landowners forcing their tenants to vote for them!!I have absolutely no intention of revealing how i will vote now or at any time and wonder for whom this pollster is carrying out his poll...
voluntaryist.uk

PostPosted: 25/03/10, 11:37    Post subject: i do not work for any plitical party... Reply with quote

Please see my last post above, I think from that you will see that I do not represent any political party, in fact the very opposite. so poll away, it is only a reflection of possible intentions, a straw poll. I hope this helps....
administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: 25/03/10, 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I reassure Felicity and any other members of the forum who may be concerned, it is not possible for anyone (including me) to know how they individually voted. Your absolute anonymity is assured.

Admin.
Rev

PostPosted: 25/03/10, 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry voluntaryist.uk, the 'freedom' you describe is not freedom at all, and you've succeeded in convincing me even more that anarchy, cloaked under the language of 'open society' or 'libertarianism', is still anarchy.
voluntaryist.uk

PostPosted: 25/03/10, 12:03    Post subject: re: anarchy Reply with quote

this is my definition of anarchy:
"A social state in which there is no governing person or group of people, but each individual has absolute liberty (without the implication of disorder).

see, anarchy is not a bad word, misused, but not bad.
Rev

PostPosted: 25/03/10, 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolute liberty to do what exactly? What they like? I do like your appeal to the inherent goodness in the hearts of everyone - if only that were the case. A word cannot be bad, but I think the definition of anarchy is correctly used.

Last edited by Rev on 25/03/10, 12:08; edited 1 time in total
geoff

PostPosted: 25/03/10, 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OED also provides another definition:

"Absence of government; a state of lawlessness due to the absence or inefficiency of the supreme power; political disorder."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: