uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone voting in the General Election ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

2010 GENERAL ELECTION VOTING INTENTION
CONSERVATIVE
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
LABOUR
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
LIBERAL DEMOCRATS
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
UKIP
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
GREEN
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
OTHER
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
NOT VOTING
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 15

geoff

PostPosted: 08/04/10, 10:58    Post subject: Re: re: privatisation Reply with quote

voluntaryist.uk wrote:
[i]
the problem is not privatization it is monopoly, each of the privatized industries you mentioned are in effect a monopoly & as such can & do charge what they like

But I think my point would be that those critical sectors should be run by the govenment, for the people of the country, so there would be no concept of profit.

The problem always seems to be the bigger the government project the more flabby it becomes. I would have motivated, incentivised captains of commerce running the various nationalised sectors along private lines, but without the need to make extra profits to give to shareholders.

G.
Rev

PostPosted: 08/04/10, 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what happens to social care, injustice and oppression of the poor and marginalized in a society with no government? Ah yes, in a Libertarian society people would be free to give and support those who need care. Of course, most would not. I am glad I am required to pay taxes - even if the system is poorly run, it is far, far better than the alternative. Smile
geoff

PostPosted: 12/04/10, 10:33    Post subject: Re: Anyone voting in the next General Election (2010) Reply with quote

voluntaryist.uk wrote:
Hi all,
Just wondering what the voting intentions in Uplyme are for the General Election 2010.
NB. You must log in to vote and to see the results so far - admin

The non-voters still top the Uplyme poll, with the Tories second and the Lib Dems third. The current poll of polls by ukpollingreport.co.uk has the Tories about 9% ahead of Labour (39 - 30 - 20).
Martyn

PostPosted: 13/04/10, 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I really care who wins, as long as it's not the conservatives.
So, locally speaking, the dilemma is should I vote for the Lib-Dems (likely second) or Labour (likely last) ?
Rhodie

PostPosted: 14/04/10, 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m glad that even though
Martyn wrote:
I'm not sure I really care who wins, as long as it's not the conservatives.
So, locally speaking, the dilemma is should I vote for the Lib-Dems (likely second) or Labour (likely last) ?
he intends to vote tactically to keep the Cons out, but that’s what we in the Trinity Ward have already been doing. The votes in the Trinity Ward at the 2005 general election were:
Con 375, Labour 0, LibDem 473 Others 67 but the turn out was abysmal at 48% compared with the constituency turn out of 69.6%.
If our ward alone decided on the government then we would now have a LibDem one.

The results for the Devon East constituency were:
Con 23,075 (46.9%) votes, the LibDems 15,139 (30.7%), Labour 7,598 (15.4%), UKIP 3035 (6.2%) and IND 400 (0.8%).

With constituency wide tactical voting even that majority could be overcome but boundary changes have now put the Trinity Ward in the Tiverton and Honiton Constituency. This even though we live in the most easterly part of Devon. At http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/ the results of the 2005 election have been recalculated based on the new boundary changes. Those for Tiverton and Honiton would have been:
Con 22,627 (44.4%) votes, the LibDems 14,354 (28.2%), Labour 8,581 (16.8%), Others 5,425 (10.6%)
It should therefore, all other things being equal, be possible for tactical voting to unseat the Tory candidate.

Geoff wrote:
The non-voters still top the Uplyme poll, with the Tories second and the Lib Dems third.
If Geoff’s abstainers don't mind having a Cons. walk over OK but don’t complain about the government over the next five years for you will not have that privilege. Otherwise you know what to do.
bear

PostPosted: 15/04/10, 13:28    Post subject: Voting is not secret ! Reply with quote

Felicity Bagenal wrote:
We have had a secret ballot in this country as part of the democratic process since we got rid of the Rotten boroughs and landowners forcing their tenants to vote for them!!I have absolutely no intention of revealing how i will vote now or at any time and wonder for whom this pollster is carrying out his poll...

Felicity Bagenal I have news for you!!

This is my first post on here having been tipped off about the Forums existence. I've read it through and I can see that many of us are espousing the same old mystical beliefs.

I have to tell you Felicity and others that your vote is NOT SECRET.

Here is why:....

You got sent a Voting Card this week with your name and number on it.
You do not have to take it with you to vote, but it helps.
Once your present yourself at the booth, you are "found" on the register, and a line drawn through your name to simply avoid you doing so again. No Problem there.
Your number on the Voters Roll is also the one that is on your Voting Card which came in the Post.
The Official then takes a "Cheque Book" of voting slips out and removes the voting slip and before passing it to you marks your number on the reverse.Sometimes they do not do this, but they definitely ALWAYS mark YOUR voter number on the reverse of the counterfoil of the voting slip.
You now go and vote. Fold it and post it in the Ballot Box. Job done.

Count is made. MP confirmed. Counted cast votes are held "somewhere" to be used in case a recount/ problem arises in the next 6 weeks.

HOWEVER... I have seen this with my own eyes...
I had a job before retiring fitting blinds on windows for a national company.
We got a contract to fit 36 in the common and class rooms of an Approved School ( Former Borstal) now called Young Offenders Institution. Some you will know this place --its not a million mles away!!
I fitted about half the blinds then entered a room where 6 inmates seemed to be busily at work, in pairs .
No supervisor in place but they seemed unnaturally busy for "young criminals".
Kept my ears open and was puzzled to discover that they had wads of counted votes for one particular party ( Tory) and one guy was calling out the number from the back of each vote. His "partner" was matching THAT number with the copy of a Voters Roll on the desk.
He had a blue High-Lighter pen in his hand. Each number he found on the Voters Roll got a blue High Light through the corresponding name.
Plainly they had already done the LibDem ones as there was a couple of discarded yellow High-Lighters on the desk and a wadge of used votes in a box on the floor.
By the end of the work they would have coloured red, yellow, or red every elector who had voted , so their allegiances were no longer secret.

I mentioned " You lads working hard here are yer?"
"No Mate this is a bit on the side for "snout"-- tobacco in prison parlance, we get 10 fags for every 1000 of these b***** we check. We can do 5,000 in a day, if we crack on.
"Some one on the outside did a deal with the screws to get us to do this on the Q.T.--and said if we coughed about it, we would never get any more to do--so we just do it. The screws get given the fags, but we reckon the b*****s keep half of them for themselves. Still its an easy number."
I gathered up my kit and left there--sharpish. I didn't sleep well that night, as I now realised the whole thing is a lie about our votes being secret. I hate them people now--with a vengeance.

This was in 2006 after the last General Election.
I am sure ones vote is recorded--thats why I am not voting this time as I believe representation in Westminster should be in proportion to the way voters voted.
Not this First Past the Post rubbish which keeps Old Boys in Old Jobs.

Tell us now why you think its a good idea to vote in 3 weeks time.
I cannot see one single reason.
geoff

PostPosted: 15/04/10, 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhodie wrote:
...don’t complain about the government over the next five years for you will not have that privilege....

On the contrary, as I've said many times during the past 5-6 years both here and elsewhere, I believe I have every right to complain if the UK Government is wasting the tax that I have to pay them.

On voting, my standpoint is clear - whichever the way I were to vote, I would not notice any real difference. Politicians are selfish, power hungry egotists and some of them are crooks who alledgedly steal expenses money from the taxpayer. They will tell us anything they think we want to hear to get into power and then do just as they please, or as their party tells them to do.

So, my only decision is whether to spoil the paper or simply abstain. I think the latter probably sends the greater expression of my contempt.

G.
geoff

PostPosted: 15/04/10, 15:19    Post subject: Re: Voting is not secret ! Reply with quote

Bear's post sounded so extraordinary that I wanted to check the facts because I too believed that polling is completely anonymous. Well - he is right !!!

According to the Select Committee on Home Affairs Fourth Report - Section E: Fraud...

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm199798/cmselect/cmhaff/768/76807.htm

"One of the existing measures in place to discourage and to address impersonation is the vote tracing mechanism... The system is designed to enable a fraudulently cast ballot paper to be identified and discounted and, if appropriate, to be replaced by a valid vote. To achieve this, the electoral registration number of the voter is noted on the counterfoil of the ballot paper. Since the ballot paper number is recorded both on the paper itself and the counterfoil, it becomes possible to trace the ballot paper submitted by a particular voter by locating the counterfoil on which the voter's registration number has been written, from which the number of the ballot paper issued to that person can be found and thus the ballot paper itself identified. The counterfoils and ballot papers are secured and stored after the close of the ballot and may by law only be opened, so as to enable the vote tracing to be operated, pursuant to an order from an electoral court pursuant to a complaint. A court may order this if it is satisfied that a vote has been fraudulently cast (whether because of a case of impersonation or, potentially, because of bribery), and if it thinks appropriate because the result of the election could be affected."

So Bear is right - your vote is not truly secret and could be traced under certain circumstances.

As to what the young offenders' tobacconists were up to - sounds deeply dodgy to me. But it is difficult to imagine how anyone could actually benefit from this information without revealing the source, thereby incriminating themselves ?

G.
bear

PostPosted: 15/04/10, 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Geoff!!
I would never have the brains to do that quick bit of delving what you has just done.
Well Found, matey!!
I would not come on here and tell porkies, specially bout what I'd seen with me own 2 eyes when I was a blind/curtain fitter back in 2006!!

I did a bit more personal research back then, over a pint or three, in a boozer what the screws use near the aforementioned prison for Young uns!!

Knocking on closing time and severeal pints down the hatch, it transpired that local MP's agents had conspired to narrow down which houses voted which way, so that later on they could minimise their expenses in stuffing letter boxes unnecessarily with pamflets for folk that was already a staunch party voter--if yer get my drift.
It was a mtual expense to which they all contributed and they shared the cost of the baccy--which would have been a lot less than 50 or 60 thousand coloured pamflets ( maybe 5 r 6 times each election, which would have gone in the bin right off!!

Typical stuff you've come to expect from politico b*****s, tell you one thing to yer face and shaft you up the other end with lies and spin and such.
I'll probably never vote again in an Westminster election--not on the present system.

You know when one party says it got 35% of the vote---NO IT DIDN'T!!
It got 35% of the votes of them that VOTED. so if 50% of voters who could, don't bother to go vote this time, and a party says it got 35% of the vote then NO IT DIDN'T.

IT GOT 17.5% of the vote ,'cos 50% stayed up the Pub. Lying swine!!

If you think a democracy run by the alleged Mother of Parliaments thinks they are in charge with the backing of 17.5% of all the voters , then matey its time we took to the streets and showed the b*****s exactly whats what!!

If you have a nation of sheep, you'll get a government of Wolves.

Someone brainier than me, said that moons ago.
Thats what we have got today.

Its time we stopped been sheep and bit the Wolves on the Bum!!
If we was French, we would have said NON years ago and guillotined them all live on TV!!

I might be a closet revolutionary, but me arthritis won't let me. Damn!!
bear

PostPosted: 15/04/10, 15:48    Post subject: Nation of Sheep prodces Government of Wolves Reply with quote

I am doing this internet Forum malarky at me daughters house as she has showed me how internet works and its great.
She helped me research the thing I wrote 10 minutes ago about a Nation of Sheep deserving a Government of Wolves and it proved my memory is fine. Wink
It was spoken by Ed Murrow the Yankee wartime war correspondent .
He never pulled his punches and told the politicos what he thought of them and they hated him for it.
Its time we got us a new shepherd and give him the power to press the re-boot button on Britain.
( I think I'm letting this new computer knowledge I've got go to me head!!) Re-boot,I say!! Re-boot men, re-boot before all is lost!

Damn, I think it is already lost!!
Martyn

PostPosted: 16/04/10, 09:31    Post subject: Re: general election Reply with quote

Felicity Bagenal wrote:
I have absolutely no intention of revealing how i will vote now or at any time . . .

Surely the anonymity was introduced to stop people being forced to vote for someone you didn't want to (ie the squire - or whoever).
I don't understand why people have this obsession about secrecy now. Once you have voted you should be able to state (with pride if you wish) who you voted for and why. If you feel ashamed to talk about who you voted for, then maybe you shouldn't have voted for them in the first place.
bear

PostPosted: 16/04/10, 11:44    Post subject: Re: general election Reply with quote

Martyn wrote:
Felicity Bagenal wrote:
I have absolutely no intention of revealing how i will vote now or at any time . . .

Surely the anonymity was introduced to stop people being forced to vote for someone you didn't want to (ie the squire - or whoever).
I don't understand why people have this obsession about secrecy now. Once you have voted you should be able to state (with pride if you wish) who you voted for and why. If you feel ashamed to talk about who you voted for, then maybe you shouldn't have voted for them in the first place.

In parts of this country if your voting history became public knowledge--like having it marked in the Voters Roll for example--you would get your windows put through, and your car done over with a 6" nail down the doors if you had voted Tory in most of Yorkshire, where Maggie T buggaired up so many lives and families.
If you voted BNP in a "Strangely Brown" area then you would get worse!!

Its happened before--no need to add to the unsloved crime figures just to satisfy the alleged pride of someone who wants the world and his cat to know that he voted Tory or not, or NuLabour or not??
That is just personal vanity and one-upmanship, and only practiced by "Look at me" types.
If you want all that political attention, apply to be a MP, then you'll get spat at in the shops like chummy in Bristol!!
Rev

PostPosted: 16/04/10, 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be of interest...

All four Parliamentary candidates for the newly created Tiverton and Honiton Constituency will be visiting Seaton to introduce themselves to the electorate and answer questions. One of these four will become the next MP to represent the people of this area, replacing Hugo Swire who will be seeking re-election elsewhere. The meeting will take place at St Gregory's Church, Colyford Road, Seaton, on Sunday 25th April, beginning at 10.30am. The specially shortened church service will be followed by the question and answer session. All four candidates will also be available afterwards to answer further questions. They are; Neil Parish (Conservative), Jon Underwood (Liberal Democrat), Vernon Whitlock (Labour) and Daryl Stanbury (UKIP). All are welcome.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 17/04/10, 10:20    Post subject: Re: Voting is not secret ! Reply with quote

bear wrote:
Once your present yourself at the booth, you are "found" on the register, and a line drawn through your name to simply avoid you doing so again. No Problem there.

Hold it. There is a problem and election after election I point it out to the teller to no avail.

As Bear says you do not have to take your polling card to the polling station. In the absence of your card you will not be asked to prove who you are. You can tell them that you are anyone and if that person has not yet voted then you are free to do so in that name.

Of course if the true person later turns up and proves his/her identity then your fraudulent vote can be traced,as described by Geoff, and destroyed . But of course you wouldn’t be so silly to pick a random person to impersonate but choose one of those many people, names we know from this website, who will not be voting.

Having explained to the teller that the whole system is open to “Identity Theft” I go on to explain to the teller that neither is the vote secret Shocked
bear wrote:
Tell us now why you think its a good idea to vote in 3 weeks time.
I cannot see one single reason.

Someone might vote for you, once I can determine your name Cool
Rev

PostPosted: 18/04/10, 08:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeping statements that all politicians are corrupt, etc. are not helpful. I have known some fantastic people in local government - people who give to the poor, people who volunteer time to help kids - people who want to make a difference in their communities. Why not get to know your local candidates as best you can, challenge them, and hold them to account?

I agree with Rhodie - use your vote. If you think they are all a bad bunch then surely the best of a bad bunch is still better than the worst of a bad bunch.... isn't it?

I will be voting to do my best to ensure that some parties with immoral policies do not get an inch of power, such as UKIP, who openly state that the promotion of multiculturalism threatens social cohesion. Er...no, no, and no.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: