uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scallop Fisherman Bags Emu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Wildlife and the Environment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slymie

PostPosted: 11/04/10, 06:05    Post subject: Scallop Fisherman Bags Emu Reply with quote

Scallop Fisherman Bags Emu

The sad tale of three escaped emus is gradually coming to light. Six of these flightless giants were delivered to a property in Uplyme on Easter Sunday and three of them immediately escaped. Three intrepid but unprepared hunters then spent the day tracking them down. One emu was eventually found in an Uplyme garden. This bird eventually died probably from injuries it sustained when the hunters overpowered it in its capture.

The following day a well known scallop fisherman became big game hunter and bravely shot and killed the second bird later impressing his friends with “look what I’ve shot”.

Emu three was still on the run when the owner judged the bird to be stressed and decided that it should go the same way as number two and was shot.

I hope that the unnecessary death of these creatures is not wasted and that we will see Mr Fearnley Eat it All feeding his guests in his canteen and at Park Farm with this delicacy in a future TV episode.
geoff

PostPosted: 12/04/10, 09:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why could they not be captured and calmed down ?
Is this a wind-up ?
Rhodie

PostPosted: 13/04/10, 06:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoff wrote:

Is this a wind-up ?

I can vouch that at least part of the above report is pukka. The garden in which emu number one was recaptured was mine. The bird had not found its own way there but was driven by neighbours after consulting with me if my walled garden would be a place where the bird, which they saw wandering past their garden, could be safely corralled until the owner could be contacted.
geoff wrote:
Why could they not be captured and calmed down ?

On the contrary this bird did not need calming down. My first words to the neighbour as it walked along Harcombe Road were, “Isn’t it sedate”. The advance capture party of three were soon on the scene but for a task that they had been working towards all day I was surprised to find them completely unprepared for the task in hand. The first attempt at capture didn’t go at all well. My neighbours were very upset by this attempt and if the report that the bird eventually died is true then it was probably from injuries sustained during this process.

The owner then turned up and perhaps because the bird was now subdued had no trouble in skillfully approaching it and although he too was new to the game picked it up single handedly.

As for the shooting of the other two emus I have no knowledge.
Martyn

PostPosted: 13/04/10, 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not heard anything about this story. But I'm not surprised at the outcome; there always seems to be somebody out there who wants to go and kill something.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 15/04/10, 06:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owner has now told me that the emu that was recaptured in my garden is alive and well. It was one of the other three that didn’t escape that died. It seems that this bird suffered some injury whilst in transit and an autopsy showed that there was internal bleeding.

Although I know a little more about the shooting of the other two birds I don’t feel free to disclose the details as the police are investigating the incident.

One thing that the owner did confirm was that when the police were informed of the emus' escape he was asked if the bird had any distinguishing marks! I leave you to decided if this was a joke Wink
geoff

PostPosted: 15/04/10, 07:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also heard some more about this on the grapevine. I had not realised the size of these animals, which can be taller than a man. Presumably if one did get spooked and ran into the road it could all get pretty nasty, pretty quickly.

Shame this couldn't have been dealt with better by the owner rather than the Police now having to be involved.

G
spud

PostPosted: 15/04/10, 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoff wrote:
I have also heard some more about this on the grapevine. I had not realised the size of these animals, which can be taller than a man. Presumably if one did get spooked and ran into the road it could all get pretty nasty, pretty quickly.

Shame this couldn't have been dealt with better by the owner rather than the Police now having to be involved.

G
Shocked
hi we have been reading all you have all got to say about our pet emus and have to say that if you would like to come and see our very spoilt very much loved pet emus and talk to us about them then you are very wellcome - please come and talk to us we would be happy to tell you all about them and show you there eggs
Martyn

PostPosted: 16/04/10, 09:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went a walk to see the Emus yesterday.
Beautiful birds; absolutely fantastic to see them.
So tragic that we have to live near people who want to kill such things.
Barry Rogers

PostPosted: 17/04/10, 09:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, what amazing birds and a super location. We took up the owners kind offer to have a look, our boy was over the moon to see these giant inquisitive birds.
spud

PostPosted: 17/04/10, 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am happy to see that you took up our offer if you would like to know more about them or see there eggs which we have inside please come to the house we live in the thatched cottage just beyond them and we would be happy to see you
Martyn

PostPosted: 15/09/10, 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhodie wrote:
Although I know a little more about the shooting of the other two birds I don’t feel free to disclose the details as the police are investigating the incident.
Did the police ever follow this up. With my exerience of the police in Devon I guess the answer is 'no'.
Martyn

PostPosted: 15/09/10, 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for 'Spud' (I'm assumimg no-one else here is qualified to answer !)
How handleable are they? I have a lot of experience of handling animals, but never an emu. If, for example, I saw one loose in the lane, can I approach it, grab it, rugby-tackle it ? Would it kick me? or bite me? Should I grab its neck, or its body or its feet?

I just read that back, before posting, and it might be useful info for anyone wishing to do them harm, so maybe best not to say, and to leave people scared of getting too close.
I just wondered what I should do, if ever I saw one loose.

They're beautiful birds, but my dog's not too sure of them; he'd just run a mile if it came too close.
spud

PostPosted: 19/12/10, 09:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i have just been back to this site and see you are asking if the police ever followed this up. yes they did but we didnt get any where seams there was nothink they could do.
Also you wanted to know if you could handle one. I have to say they do kick very hard they run very very fast and are easily spooked. if you ever see one in the lane then is would be best to get one of us as they do know who feeds them if we have visitors and its feeding time they pretend they are not hungry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Wildlife and the Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: