uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clear Skies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Wildlife and the Environment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodie

PostPosted: 16/04/10, 06:22    Post subject: Clear Skies Reply with quote

What a pleasure to look up and see the sky free from the criss crossing of vapour trails. I'm sure that those living around airports are delighted

Will the fallout of the volcanic ash be a bonus to gardeners and farmers with an inoculation of fertilizing minerals. Will we have bumper crops this year?

Perhaps the Icelanders will knock of the price of this fertilizer from what they owe us Wink
geoff

PostPosted: 16/04/10, 15:27    Post subject: Do we need cheap air travel ? Reply with quote

Agreed Rhodie, it's really a bit special isn't it. Most days you look up and see at least a couple of aeroplane trails and several times a day hear them roaring in the distance. Now, just clear blue sky.

So do we really NEED cheap and dirty, mass air travel, subsidised by the taxpayer ? What if the Icelandic volcano and the current weather continued to conspire to ground flights indefinately? Would the lack of cheap package holidays and the ability to have business meetings face to face rather than by teleconference really be a huge problem ?

G
Rhodie

PostPosted: 20/04/10, 09:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

They’re back!

The vapour trails. A steady stream of KLM flights from Amsterdam on the way to the West Indies and South America are polluting Uplyme’s sky. Take a look http://www.flightradar24.com/?.

KLM were one of the two airlines that questioned the dangers and carried out test yesterday and obviously now consider it safe to fly over our country.

At this very moment 10:32 a Boeing 767-223 (B762) of ABX Air From : New York, John F Kennedy (JFK) Via: Reykjavik, Keflavik (KEF) To: Liege, Liege (LGG) is flying over London. If this plane flying directly form Iceland to the UK is free from the ash why are all our plane grounded? Is it a conspiracy by the green movement?
geoff

PostPosted: 20/04/10, 14:27    Post subject: CO2 saved Reply with quote

I wonder how many millions of tonnes of CO2 have been saved this last week.

G.
Martyn

PostPosted: 20/04/10, 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite probably none at all.
It takes a lot of energy to carry people a long way on a plane.
It also takes a similar 'lot' of energy to carry people a long way on a bus, or on a train.
I bet there's surprisingly little difference.
geoff

PostPosted: 20/04/10, 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the contrary, see the comparison here...
http://www.uplyme.com/images/PollutionCompared.bmp

Planes are second only to cars in their CO2 belchings.

G.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 20/04/10, 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really need some footnotes regarding the chart that Geoff put up. What is being compared in the figures? A full plane, two people in the car, a half full train? Without more details the chart is of no use whatsoever. I remember flying to Turkey 35 years – sorry for nothing more recent for I seldom fly – in a Boeing 707 and there were no more than 30 people on the plane and a third of them were the crew Surprised

Having said that I found some details on the Transport Direct website with CO2 emissions for a 200 mile journey similar to those of Geoff’s chart. The car was assumed to have only the driver on board. As soon as a passenger was carried the emissions were then less than those for the plane. I assume that it was taken that the plane was fully loaded.
geoff

PostPosted: 21/04/10, 06:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are quite right Rhodie, a diagram without notes is a bit arbitory.

Here is a link to the Transport Direct website with an online calculator to help you compare Car, Train, Plane etc using the latest figures...
http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2/JourneyPlanning/JourneyEmissionsCompare.aspx

The assumptions they use in producing the tool are explained here...
http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2/staticnoprint.aspx?id=_web2_help_helpcarbon

In fact, if you assume two people to a normal sized car, the aeroplane produces nearly three times the CO2 per passenger,with large cars coming second worst.
Interestingly, coaches seem to be the lowest ?

I see the sky is once again criss-crossed with vapour trails this morning Confused

G.

Last edited by geoff on 21/04/10, 07:56; edited 1 time in total
bear

PostPosted: 21/04/10, 13:52    Post subject: Flying over the UK Reply with quote

My son flew back to Dublin yesterday from Rome with his wife.

He has just related the comments of the Captain as they crossed Hampshire--ish heading North West to Dublin, on the fone to us over Lunch today.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Can I just advise that we are currently at xx,xxxx feet above Winchester heading straight into Dublin, where we will land in x minutes. We are indeed fortunate that the Brits down below have a Government which has forbidden all flying until tomorrow morning at 07.00am--( as the rules were then!!).
You would wonder why they put up with all that interference in their travel plans when we are in fact one of 22 aircraft on our radar crossing the UK either to or from Ireland or America, or in one case South America, headed to or from European mainland destinations.
What do we know that they do not??

Rest assured that neither we nor any other crews up here I have spoken with have seen or experienced any problems at all,and our co-pilot who has flown extensively round the Pacific Rim where volcanoes are always going off is --to put it mildly--very bemused by the actions in the UK...""

Enjoy the rest of your Ash free trip--shortly we will commence our descent...etc etc

WE HAVE BECOME A BLOOMNG NATIONAL LAUGHING STOCK NOW THAT TOTAL RISK AVERSION IS MANAGED BY SHINY-ARSED CLERKS!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Wildlife and the Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: