uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why not a 20mph speed limit through Uplyme?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timfox

PostPosted: 03/10/05, 21:55    Post subject: Why not a 20mph speed limit through Uplyme? Reply with quote

Axminster has achieved 20mph status.
Why not Uplyme?
Then lower speeds might be achieved without recourse to direct action (which I'm not against in principle but it might be costly).
Anyone know how Uplyme might achieve a 20mph limit?
TimF
Rhodie

PostPosted: 03/10/05, 22:35    Post subject: Re: Why not a 20mph speed limit through Uplyme? Reply with quote

timfox wrote:
Axminster has achieved 20mph status.
Why not Uplyme?

What makes you think that a 20 mph limit will be anymore obeyed than one of 30?

It will again come down to enforcing the limit.
geoff

PostPosted: 04/10/05, 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe doing 40 in a 30 zone is different in driver's minds to doing 40 in a 20 zone ?

G
joe

PostPosted: 06/10/05, 18:02    Post subject: 20MPH !!!!!!!! Reply with quote

I think 20mph is going slightly over the top. Tourists usually dont obey them anyway unless a speed camera is placed.

BUT sidford did this for a short stetch of road from the Blue ball inn to the Rising sun. It was very effective.

I think that a 20 mph speed limit would be acceptable on a short section of road if that.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 06/10/05, 19:52    Post subject: Re: 20MPH !!!!!!!! Reply with quote

joe wrote:

I think that a 20 mph speed limit would be acceptable on a short section of road if that.

I think you’ve got it. Yes a short stretch taking in the worst hazards like outside the village shop, the crossroads at the Talbot and the village hall. The possibility of a pedestrian crossing outside the hall has been rejected many times. A lower speed limit would hopefully ease the problem when children are going between the hall, field and school.

I think that the parish council on several occasions in the past have asked for this very same set up but were always told that imposing a 20 mph limit is an almost impossibility. The situation now seems to have changed judging by the number of 20-mph limits that one sees mushrooming up. Perhaps it is time for the council to give it another shot.
administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: 07/10/05, 07:16    Post subject: Pedestrian Crossing Reply with quote

Quote:
The possibility of a pedestrian crossing outside the hall has been rejected many times

But that's absurd ... how could anyone possibly object to having a pedestrian crossing by the village hall ???? (Likewise outside Woodroffe actually)

I would really like to hear the reasoning behind this one.

Is Andy Carmichael in the house ?

Geoff.
Julian

PostPosted: 04/10/07, 20:43    Post subject: 20 is plenty Reply with quote

Tim first posed the question two years ago. I'd like to ask it again and, beyond that, I'd like to make the question get the attention it deserves. As I was walking (visibly) up Springhead Road this morning a car drove past me so fast and so close I simply couldn't believe that anyone could be either so incompetent a driver or have so little regard for safety of others. We are starting a campaign. Will you join us? We can make this happen. We can have a 20 mph limit in Uplyme. The political climate has changed and I am sure that we can do it. Please let's make this small change now before someone is needlessly killed or maimed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Road safety All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: