uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dog Show

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donna22

PostPosted: 05/07/10, 20:45    Post subject: Dog Show Reply with quote

I hear that there is going to be the annual dog show at the horticulture show so where is this taking place? on the footpath because dogs are now banned from the field & not allowed in the village hall or football field. They are only allowed to walk along the footpath to the other field.

I also think that the signs are crazy as they are tiny and they still have the sign saying please keep dogs on a lead, if dogs are banned this needs to be made clear and that they are allowed to walk along the footpath, at the moment the No Dog sign does not appear until they have walked in the field and you could quite easily walk past it with out even seeing it as its that small and on a gate post.

I cannot see how they can allow dogs for this event if there is a ban its a ban people have not cleaned up after there dogs so everyone has to suffer but it is better for the kids playing cricket and football if people cannot follow the rules this is what happends.
Driver

PostPosted: 06/07/10, 04:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm good point Donna 22, I hadn't spotted the signs, was there some sort of council edict or were the signs put just because someone thought it was a good idea?
Donna22

PostPosted: 06/07/10, 05:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been in the paper and was meant to come into force in October but they only got the tiny signs a couple of weeks ago.
Driver

PostPosted: 06/07/10, 07:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna22 wrote:
It has been in the paper and was meant to come into force in October but they only got the tiny signs a couple of weeks ago.

That assumes the dogs read the local paper!
Rev

PostPosted: 11/07/10, 08:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/img]
Rhodie

PostPosted: 15/07/10, 08:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spoken to a committee member of the Horticultural Society and I am informed that any restrictions on dogs using the field have been waived for the day of the show.

I assume that any mess will be cleaned up by the society, of ...which ......I............am................a..........................member. Embarassed
geoff

PostPosted: 15/07/10, 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink

Geoff
Brian Hurst

PostPosted: 27/07/10, 19:59    Post subject: Dogs Reply with quote

Hi I have recently joined Uplyme.com really was not aware of it previously but at first glance there appears to be a whole host of information out there.
I was surprised to read about the dog ban in respect of the cricket field, quite used to having to put my dog on a lead when crossing but is this really a total ban? and if so was I asleep when the publicity about this move was promulgated, presumably in the press and elsewhere. Can I no longer cross the field with my dog to get to the village shop and where is the footpath not delineated as far as I can see, should I assume I can walk anywhere near to the boundary, no pun intended. Are there other dog owners out there who act responsibly and clear up after there dogs as I do who feel the same way, surely this is taking things to far. Be interested in hearing anybody else's views on the subject, meantime will do some digging with the Parish Council, hope they are aware of this apparent ban.
Donna22

PostPosted: 02/08/10, 07:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can walk along the pathway as that is a footpath past the cricket pavilion to the farmers field.
Brian Hurst

PostPosted: 02/08/10, 07:22    Post subject: Dogs and the cricket field Reply with quote

Hi Donna
Thanks for the reply, interesting that the footpath is not clearly marked and the sign as you come in from the farmers field appears to forbid dogs from going into the stream there. I am assuming that my dog can still have a swim, one of his favourite spots.
geoff

PostPosted: 02/08/10, 08:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian has a good point - the signs are not very helpful really. I wonder if the Parish Council would be able to sort this issue. On the other hand too many signs in a rural setting (or indeed ANY setting) is never a good thing in my opinion.

G
Brian Hurst

PostPosted: 02/08/10, 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff

I do think the signing is poor and agree that we do not want to encourage more, the place will start to look like suburbia if we are not careful. Why was a ban introduced in the first place, I regularly walk that way and I see owners clearing up after their dogs. Is it perhaps the cricket pitch that someone is concerned about protecting? if so better to have signs on the rope around the perimeter. There is also a sign at the village hall entrance indicating that dogs need to be on leads so this latest bit of legislation appears to be overkill, does anybody know who requested the ban in the first place.

Brian
geoff

PostPosted: 02/08/10, 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

There have been problems in the past with the small minority of inconsiderate dog owners not clearing up after their dog. Some of whom (presumably non-villagers) were seen to drive to the village hall car park, let the dog off for a 'run' and then just drive away again.

See full discussion here:-
http://uplyme.com/debate/viewtopic.php?t=76

Personally, I do not think the village playing field is a suitable place for an animal toilet, when there are so many agricultural fields around the village.

G.
Brian Hurst

PostPosted: 02/08/10, 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff
I have read the link about dog mess, how inconsiderate people can be, I can really appreciate how you must have felt. I did think the options in your questionnaire were a bit too far loaded and did not allow for a reasonable response, so someone like me who picks up after his dog would have had difficulty with it. I could not agree more that inconsiderate people who in this case do not clear up after their dog has made a mess should be penalised but unfortunately they are in the minority and the rest of us responsible dog owners get tarred with the same brush. Its a great pity that a volunteer warden system was not looked at, often a gentle pointing out of the health risk when an owner ignores what his/her dog has done is all it takes. I have grandchildren and am concerned about their health as indeed I am about local children here in Uplyme some who I know well and who play football there so I understand the reasoning behind the ban. What I am not clear on is why was a ban needed when the existing signs say keep your dog on a lead and also clear up after them. Will this additional ban make any difference or do we need to educate people.

Just been to check the sign at the top of the agricultural field and it says clear up after your dog and it's an EDDC sign so that means it will be almost impossible to use that route down to the shop if you have a dog. Are we to walk on the roads? I have fields behind my house in Woodhouse Lane which have a bridleway across and dogs are exercised there, I appreciate there is no law saying owners of dogs have to clear up on agricultural land so I accept this but is it one rule for the EDDC and another rule for everybody else. Any information or views would be welcome.

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: