uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UFO Spotted On Uplyme Webcam?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliver

PostPosted: 10/08/10, 14:40    Post subject: UFO Spotted On Uplyme Webcam? Reply with quote

At 1520 today a UFO has been spotted hovering above Uplyme. it was spotted on the Uplyme Web cam, it can be seen here:

Rev

PostPosted: 10/08/10, 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Smile
Rev

PostPosted: 10/08/10, 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah - just saw this on the webcam too!

(sorry, couldn't resist)
geoff

PostPosted: 12/08/10, 10:04    Post subject: No Nathanial - No !!! Reply with quote

Rev, IOU a pint if you get the connection without looking it up.
Rev

PostPosted: 12/08/10, 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - you've lost me Geoff... or I'm being very slow....! LOL
Rev

PostPosted: 12/08/10, 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did see in the news a few days ago on the BBC about the documents being released about UFO sightings and Churchill covering it up so there wasn't a widespread panic... or something...
geoff

PostPosted: 17/08/10, 10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rev wrote:
Sorry - you've lost me Geoff... or I'm being very slow....! LOL

Jeff Wayne's 'War of the Worlds' !! Smile
Rev

PostPosted: 18/08/10, 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - still missing something! What about it? Was it the anniversary or something???
geoff

PostPosted: 18/08/10, 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rhapsody.com/jeff-wayne-2/war-of-the-worlds/spirit-of-man/lyrics.html
Rev

PostPosted: 18/08/10, 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you trying to say Geoff !!!! LOL Shocked

(thank goodness I'm not a parson) Razz
Martyn

PostPosted: 01/09/10, 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the difference between a parson and, for example, a rector, or a vicar, or a minister, or a clergyman, or a priest.
Sounds like the beginning of a joke, but I'm just curious.
Rev

PostPosted: 02/09/10, 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

he he - erm.... it's very complicated as it's to do with legal things...

I'll give it a go...

Minister, clergyman/woman and pastor are generic terms for a worker in the church although clergyman/woman refers to Church of England church workers.

You have deacons, priests and bishops who serve the church. It's a simple structure in that priests oversee deacons and bishops oversee priests. One way to think about these is that they are what you 'are' rather than what you 'do' - hence you get ordained (authorised and recognised as a minister by the local and wider church) as a deacon, priest or bishop.

Then you have the job you do...

A chaplain is a deacon, priest or bishop who works in a hospital or in education.

A padre is a deacon, priest or bishop who works in the armed forces.

A curate is traditionally the person who has oversight in a parish (ie. geographical community). However, curate now means a trainee parish priest and so we don't use curate for parish priests any more.

Then you have vicars and rectors. Now, these are almost identical and a vicar or rector is a parish priest who also holds the legal responsibility of the parish. The rector is a historical title for a vicar who also received some of his income from the parish tithe.

Now, these days many parish priests do not hold the legal responsibility of the parish but the bishop does. In these cases the parish priest is not a vicar or rector, and can't be called curate as he or she doesn't want to get confused with a trainee parish priest, and therefore they are called a priest-in-charge.

However, to save confusion, we simply call them all vicars (even though it might not be technically or legally correct).

Some parishes have a Team Rector and Team Vicars. The titles in these cases simply help to know who is in charge. Some parishes will have a Vicar and an Associate Vicar.

Confused?

I am a priest. This means I am recognised by the local and wider church as having an ordained (authorised and set apart) ministry to minister in the Church of England. I will always be a priest as it is who I am, not what I do.

Now, the job I do is that of a parish priest. Because I do not hold the legal responsibility of the parish, I am technically a priest-in-charge, however, no-one knows what that means and so everyone calls me vicar.

It is slightly more complicated than that - but that is probably enough!

Hope that helps!

BTW: No idea what a parson is!
Martyn

PostPosted: 02/09/10, 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there's me thinking it was complicated.....

According to Wikipedia;-
In the pre-Reformation church, a parson was the priest of an independent parish church, that is, a parish church not under the control of a larger ecclesiastical or monastic organization. The term is similar to rector and is in contrast to a vicar, a cleric whose revenue is usually, at least partially, appropriated by a larger organization.

Today the term is normally used for some parish clergy of non-Roman Catholic churches, in particular in the Anglican tradition in which a parson is the incumbent of a parochial benefice: a parish priest or a rector; in this sense a parson can be contrasted with a vicar. The title parson is also applied to clergy from other denominations. A parson is often housed in a church-owned home known as a rectory or parsonage.

William Blackstone's Commentaries on the Laws of England says that a parson is a parish priest with the fullest legal rights to the parish properties:

A parson, persona ecclesiae, is one that has full possession of all the rights of a parochial church. He is called parson, persona, because by his person the church, which is an invisible body, is represented; and he is in himself a body corporate, in order to protect and defend the rights of the church (which he personates) by a perpetual succession. He is sometimes called the rector, or governor, of the church: but the appellation of parson, (however it may be depreciated by familia, clownish, and indiscriminate use) is the most legal, most beneficial, and most honorable title that a parish priest can enjoy; because such a one, (Sir Edward Coke observes) and he only, is said vicem seu personam ecclesiae gerere ("to carry out the business of the church in person")
Bl. Comm. I.11.V, p. *372
Legally, parish priests are separately given spiritual and temporal jurisdiction (they are inducted and installed). The spiritual responsibility is termed the cure of souls, and one holding such a cure is a curate, which was also given to parish assistants, or assistant curates. The title parson, however, refers to the temporal jurisdiction over the churches and glebe. Depending on how the tithes were apportioned, a parson may be a rector or a vicar. A parish priest who received no tithes was legally a perpetual curate (to distinguish him from assistant curates). However, historically, many perpetual curates, as they were technically parsons (having temporal jurisdiction), preferred to use this latter title. This led to the term parson having three senses. It could refer to all parish priests (rectors, vicars and perpetual curates) without distinction; it could, through actual use, refer simply to perpetual curates, or it could, through popular use, refer to any member of the clergy, even assistant curates. An Act of Parliament in 1868, changed the way that parochial clergy were paid, and permitted perpetual curates to be called vicars. This led to the rapid abandonment of the title parson in favour of vicar, to the extent that now, as previously for parson, the term vicar is often used for any cleric of the Church of England.
Rev

PostPosted: 02/09/10, 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank goodness there are other people who worry about these things so we can just get on with it! LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: