uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living Lightly Event

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rev

PostPosted: 22/11/10, 09:24    Post subject: Living Lightly Event Reply with quote

Christian living that doesn’t cost the earth. Thursday 25th November, 7.30pm in Uplyme Village Hall with A Rocha Speaker Ruth Valerio. With refreshments, ideas for local action, resources and discussion.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 28/11/10, 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a very interesting evening put on by the church. Non-believers were made welcome and twiddled their thumbs whilst the 'Rev' said a couple of prayers.

Ruth Valerio, speaking for A Rocha, turned out to be right on top of her subject although I did feel that she was somewhat preaching to the converted. On asking the capacity audience what they personally could or did do to ease their impact on the planet she was bombarded with many schemes that people had in place to conserve water use. Although I wonder if these were primarily to save money rather than a resource that they considered to be scarce.

Ruth said that there were certain sacred cows on which the green movement should reappraise their views. One of these was their anti-GM stand but she then reminded us that the greatest problem with GM is the power that GM companies have by ensuring that GM seed are infertile. Until poor farmer can save their own seed GM is a no go area. Nuclear Power may be another sacred cow but was not mentioned.

Although this meeting was basically about leaving the planet in good stead for future generations there were only two people present, apart from the speaker, who will be around when the effects of climate change, which will result from not living lightly, really begin to bite.

Also sadly missing were any representatives of the parish council even though refreshments were included! Time for them to become aware that there are more serious environmental problems than whether a house style is in keeping with its neighbours

Full marks to the church for putting on the evening and attempting to enlighten us on this important matter. If you are interested in more information on A Rocha take a look at:
www.arocha.org
If you are further interested in the formation of a new local group you will be most welcome to attend an exploratory meeting on Tuesday 1 March 2011 @ 8pm at Amherst Lodge, Cathole Lane, Uplyme, DY7 3XH

For more information please contact Jeremy white on 01297 32299 or jeremy.white@onetel.net

This was the kind of church activity that I understand and can fully support.
Rev

PostPosted: 30/11/10, 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rhodie...

I agree - it was such a shame that I found myself being at the young end of the audience. I wonder if it was something to do with the marketing? Next time we need to push this sort of thing through the schools network, etc. Or perhaps we could coax Ruth down in next year and do a school-based event?

Anyway, I thought Ruth was super - she really had done her research. Who'd have thought that roses from Kenya had a lower carbon footprint than those from Holland, or that bananas were one of the lowest carbon footprint foods? The evening left me wanting to ask lots more questions and to change my habits. I also liked her angle - not to come with a list of does and don'ts but a look at the underpinning values that guide and direct our thinking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: