uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dog mess - UGH !
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Because of the behaviour of a minority of dog owners, should dogs be banned from the playing field ?
Yes, there are plenty of other places to take a dog for exercise
76%
 76%  [ 10 ]
No, dog owners have the right to break the law and endanger children's health.
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Who cares, the footballers/cricketers/others will clean up any mess.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

geoff

PostPosted: 08/10/05, 10:31    Post subject: Dog mess - UGH ! Reply with quote

As one of the dads who help out at Crusader's football practise on Saturday mornings, it was partly my job today to set out the goal posts.

Simon Armytage and myself had to remove two seperate mounds of dog poo from the middle of the playing field before the game could begin.

Just what is going through the mind of some dog owners ? Don't they know that this is illegal, unhygenic and disgusting?
Don't they care that they are endangering our children's health ? Why do they expect someone else to come and clean up after them?

For people who really must exercise their dog on the village playing field, the rules are clearly displayed at the entrance to the field...

1. Keep the dog on a lead.
2. If the dog makes a mess, CLEAN IT UP !

There is even a special bin provided for the mess!!!

Geoff Browne.
Rhodie

PostPosted: 09/10/05, 09:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a dog owner I must agree with what Geoff said and that we can only hope that the recent announcement that Uplyme will soon be patrolled by Katie Starr, the EDDC dog warden, will put some fear into these inconsiderate people.

Under the law dog owners must clear up after their pets on all land to which the public has access, except:
    * Land used for agriculture or woodland
    * Land which is mostly marshland, moor or heath.
    * Rural common land
    * Carriageways governed by a speed limit over 40 mph and the verges alongside them

Katie can be contacted on 0845 6010211.

Having said that I am afraid that the validity of Geoff’s second option in the poll is a bit questionable. Dog owners have the right to walk their dogs on the field if they obey the rules. I think the second option should go something like this, “No, dog owners have the right to walk their dogs provided that they keep to the rules”.

Whether or not they should be banned at all times is another option.
scott

PostPosted: 09/10/05, 09:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Rhodie is right about that second option Geoff. It leaves no possibility of walking the dog and cleaning up behind it.
geoff

PostPosted: 09/10/05, 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, maybe. I guess I was still a little angry that some people can be so inconsiderate - especially where children's health is concerned.

I do of course recognise that the majority of dog owners behave responsibly - quite possibly with children of their own to consider.

G.
scott

PostPosted: 09/10/05, 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can still share your anger at the ones who feel it is alright to leave the mess for others to clear up. What we need is homing poo! Laughing
oliver

PostPosted: 10/10/05, 20:08    Post subject: I Also... Reply with quote

I also share your anger at those people they do have plenty of other places to go for example just across the other side of th playing fields there is a big hilled field why not there Question
michael

PostPosted: 11/10/05, 16:31    Post subject: Re: Dog mess - UGH ! Reply with quote

geoff wrote:
As one of the dads who help out at Crusader's football practise on Saturday mornings, it was partly my job today to set out the goal posts.

Simon Armytage and myself had to remove two seperate mounds of dog poo from the middle of the playing field before the game could begin.

Just what is going through the mind of some dog owners ? Don't they know that this is illegal, unhygenic and disgusting?
Don't they care that they are endangering our children's health ? Why do they expect someone else to come and clean up after them?

For people who really must exercise their dog on the village playing field, the rules are clearly displayed at the entrance to the field...

There is even a special bin provided for the mess!!!

Geoff Browne.
michael

PostPosted: 11/10/05, 17:00    Post subject: dog poo Reply with quote

I completly agree that dogs should be banned.
It must have been a horrible job cleaning it up.(although i am a crusader i didn't see any my self?) Rolling Eyes
administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: 13/10/05, 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because Simon and I cleaned it up !
Homer

PostPosted: 14/11/05, 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

the way the question is phrased leaves no option of responsible dog owners being allowed to use the field, that really is quite unfair its like asking:

'Do you think stupid children should be banned from using the fields because they could hurt themselves'

Until the law is changed dog owners have as as many rights as the 'stupid children' in regards to usage of the land...

Prehaps the wording of the question can be changed to less one-sided...?
geoff

PostPosted: 15/11/05, 08:50    Post subject: Re: Dog mess - UGH ! Reply with quote

The law does not need to be changed - it is already in place. It is illegal to allow your dog to make a mess on the field that you do not clean up.

geoff wrote:
...the rules are clearly displayed at the entrance to the field...

Homer

PostPosted: 15/11/05, 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

"No, dog owners have the right to break the law and endanger children's health" is how the question is phrased...

You clearly state 'break the law' which means you leave no option open for law abiding dog owners. I have played for uplyme cc on many occasions at home and have never found dog mess to be a major problem. However, anyone who is caught should be given a six month ban from the fields as a warning and a lifetime exclusion following that...
oliver

PostPosted: 15/11/05, 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is an option for abiding people its the first one and you said major problem do you mean there is a problem but you either take no notice or it is only a minor problem Question
geoff

PostPosted: 16/11/05, 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer wrote:
"...I have played for uplyme cc on many occasions at home and have never found dog mess to be a major problem...

Well I can assure you from first-hand knowledge that it most *definately* is a problem on Saturday mornings at 09:00 as we have to go round and remove it before the kids can play football.

Geoff.
Homer

PostPosted: 16/11/05, 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if that is the case how do I vote for an option which allows dog owners to use the fields with as many rights as the 'crusaders' or cricket club members... PROVIDING THEY CLEAN UP ANY MESS

ps: the first option says that dog walkers should be banned...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: