uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Open Day, LR Club for Young People, Sat 15th

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita

PostPosted: 14/01/11, 09:18    Post subject: Open Day, LR Club for Young People, Sat 15th Reply with quote

Morning all

This Saturday is the Open Day for the Club for Young People in Lyme. There will be activities taking place during the day including musical performances (inc. B Sharpe), hair braiding and face painting there will also be a bungee run during the afternoon. There will also be refreshments all day including bacon butties in the morning.

Entry is free and it will give the chance to see inside the Old Boys Club for the first time since it closed a few years ago,

***Plus the vote for the new name for the Club will take place on Saturday so please come along and cast your vote!***

The Open Day runs from 9am to 6pm and all those involved would love to see you,. I know it's "over the border" but the Club really is planned as a resource for all of the young people in the area and not just those in Lyme Regis.

The former Boys Club is in Church Street, just by the traffic lights.

There is some info http://viewfrompublishing.co.uk/news_view/8328/8/1/lyme-regis-youth-club-open-day

Anyone with skills to volunteer would be especially welcome, especially anyone with web skills!
geoff

PostPosted: 14/01/11, 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you Anita and co !

There is precious little for the local kids to do, so this initiative should be applauded. I hope LR town council and other town organisations will do all they can to help with funding and general support.

Could you please let us know here on the forum how the event goes and what is decided on the various issues such as name and use of space ?

G.
Anita

PostPosted: 14/01/11, 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do Geoff, I'm only very newly involved as I've got some time on my hands but various people have been working for years for an opportunity like this so it's very exciting.

The plan really is to use Saturday as a consultation exercise in the hope that as many people as possible are able to give their views. It's a big space (I haven't actually been in there since I was 13 or so (which was some time ago.....) and there are some really ambitious plans for it as both an "entertainment" centre and a Skill Centre, hopefully to include those over 18's who struggle for opportunities.

Will update when there is more and we're hoping to get a much better web presence to keep people updated.
geoff

PostPosted: 14/01/11, 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff.

For one thing, I would have thought that local bands would soon be knocking on your door for a decent rehearsal space.

G.
Rev

PostPosted: 14/01/11, 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff. Definitely worth checking out...

Gavz
Rev

PostPosted: 15/01/11, 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Anita and gang. What a great turnout?!! You seemed to get heaps of feedback and you must be thrilled. Let's hope the finances get in place to make it happen.

Much love and peace

Gavin
Anita

PostPosted: 15/01/11, 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gavin, it was great to meet you today!!

The day was fantastic, there were lots of people with big grins walking around. The building really came alive and showed it's potential.

We got over 250 signatures on our "Save the Library" petition (thanks for the plug!) and I think around 300 votes for the new name.

The new name of the Club will be "The Hub", this was a clear winner (91) votes ahead of "The Wave" (50 something - sorry, can't remember exactly!).

There is loads to be done, the building needs lots of work to be properly usable and to fulfill it's full potential but today was the most fantastic starting point any of us could have wished for.

Thanks everyone for the support Very Happy
Rev

PostPosted: 15/01/11, 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Cool I voted for 'The Hub' ! ('The Wave' would have been my second choice). It'll be exciting to hear the plans for the next step. Looking forward to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: