uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lyme Regis library scheduled to close...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rev

PostPosted: 15/01/11, 13:39    Post subject: Lyme Regis library scheduled to close... Reply with quote

The government are proposing cuts to the Library Service (now there's a surprise - perhaps it's part of their plan to promote community?). The plan is to close all but 14 of the 32 libraries across the whole of Dorset including Lyme Regis library. Only 4 of the 14 will retain current opening hours and 10 wil have a reduced service. The Lyme Regis library are mounting a petition and are also asking people who are considering joining the library to join this week.
Anita

PostPosted: 15/01/11, 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the plug Gavin, this is another one of my projects for the moment (it's amazing how popular one becomes with a bit of time on your hands!).

New joiners this week would be fantastic, we really need to show them that we do care about our library. The plan includes the closure of Charmouth library so the nearest Dorset library will be in Bridport which is of course 10 miles each way.

Those of us "over the border" have the benefit of Axminster Library but for those in Lyme who struggle to get out of the town (perhaps the very young and the old) Bridport could be a million miles away.

It feels very Dickensian to be moving to a scenario where only those who have the funds to pay for internet connections and to buy their own books might have access to knowledge.

We're hoping that there will be a petition in the Library - there was some debate about whether this will be allowed.

Gavin, I wonder if I could drop one down to the Church in the morning?

There will be a copy of the petition in Fordhams hardware shop at the bottom of Lyme.

If anyone wants a copy and can print it then PM me your email address and I'll email a copy across. I will need the results back by Wednesday as the next County Council meeting is on Thursday.
Rev

PostPosted: 15/01/11, 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anita

I'd be very happy to host a petition in the church building and say something at the start of 10am worship...

Gavz
Anita

PostPosted: 15/01/11, 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fab thanks - I've PM'd you.
Anita

PostPosted: 17/01/11, 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a fantastic response to the petition with over 40 signatures! Every single signature counts.

I will keep you updated when we know more, the next meeting is on Thursday in Dorchester but I don't think there will be anything substantive after that.

Lyme is on the list for closure unless we can convince the DCC that it should remain open so we're going to do our best to do that.
geoff

PostPosted: 20/01/11, 15:33    Post subject: Pillars of Civilisation Reply with quote

An absolute disgrace. Public Libraries should be near the bottom of the list of things to cut. Well below such things as high salaries for County Council Officers.

Watch this short video on the issue by childrens author Shoo Rayner...
http://www.shoorayner.com/DrawingSchool/index.php?option=com_hdflvplayer&id=153

For anyone interested in comparing prices of the services the County Council provides, here is Dorset CC's 'Budget Book' for last year.

http://www.dorsetforyou.com/media.jsp?mediaid=135785&filetype=pdf

G.
Anita

PostPosted: 20/01/11, 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a good'ish response today, probably as good as could be expected in that the DCC Committee amended the recommendation to pass the matter back to the Consultation Panel to consider the library strategy further.

There was recognition that Lyme especially is a special case as our position at the very west of the county leaves us very exposed and that a 10 mile each way journey to a library wasn't acceptable. It was also clear that a lot of parties have been suggesting innovative solutions to the cuts that would allow the libraries to be saved but that these have not been considered by the Report initially published.

So the consultation continues, the Panel needs to make a recommendation by June to allow DCC to make a decision in July.

The likely next step is that we will try to put together a public meeting at the end of the month to put together an action group to take this forward.

I'll put up the details once they are finalised and we would welcome Uplyme residents to the meeting, we may be split by an arbitrary county boundary but we all matter.

Thanks for the support to date.
Rev

PostPosted: 24/01/11, 07:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a public meeting being called at Woodmead Halls, Lyme Regis, on 31st January, 7pm, to coordinate a campaign to save the Lyme Regis library.
Driver

PostPosted: 31/01/11, 07:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rev wrote:
There is a public meeting being called at Woodmead Halls, Lyme Regis, on 31st January, 7pm, to coordinate a campaign to save the Lyme Regis library.

DON'T FORGET THE MEETING TONIGHT!!!!!
Rev

PostPosted: 31/01/11, 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, I can't be there tonight as I'm leading a training course in Torquay... I hope it goes well and that the plan comes together.
Anita

PostPosted: 04/02/11, 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm slow with the update.

There were over 108 people at the meeting on Monday night. We are holding a protest at Lyme Library at 11am TOMORROW. This Saturday is a nationwide day of action with regard to the closure of libraries which is why it's been a bit short notice.

We are hoping to have Laurence and Catherine Anholt, Gillian Cross and Rikey Austin (all childrens authors) in attendance.

I've got posters to hand out and we'd really like to have a good show (especially children) for 11am to take a photo for the press.
Anita

PostPosted: 14/02/11, 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update time!

Things are still progressing, we were increasingly frustrated that despite the Community Overview Committee's recommendation to pass the Library matter back to the Panel for consideration, it seemed that the Panel weren't really interested in looking at the whole picture!

We are hearing stories that the Chief Exec of DCC has taken the bull by the horns and is issuing instructions that PROPER consultation must take place and we hope that these stories turn out to be correct.

In the meantime we are off to Dorchester on Thursday morning to wave our banners outside of the Full Council Meeting, AdLib (Friends of Dorset Libraries) are speaking on behalf of all of the libraries and we hope that common sense will prevail.

I've set up a website www.aroundlymeregis.co.uk which contains up to date details of the campaign and other info about the library campaign nationwide.
geoff

PostPosted: 02/03/11, 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone heard any more about the proposed closure plans ?
Anita

PostPosted: 14/03/11, 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I've been a bit slow in providing an update.

We are now in a consultation phase where DCC are consulting with library users regarding their plans to withdraw funding.

I'd like to say I'm optimistic that this is proper and meaningful consultation but I'm not! I'd like to say that DCC are seeing the light and accepting that Lyme is a special case and that a travel distance of 10 miles each way to Bridport is acceptable, but I'm not sure that they have.

Consultation will take place online and also through questionnaires in the library. Whilst the consultation period started at the start of March the questionnaires are not yet available - I'll post when I've had further confirmation from DCC.

Please participate in the consultation, we really need to stress that library users (whether resident in Devon or Dorset) do care and that we need our library.
Centre - On the Fence

PostPosted: 18/03/11, 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

In the library debate no mention has been made of the Devon Services

Like most of you I have received my Council Tax Bill through the post. I was reading through the enclosed booklet 'What do I get for my money?' and was reminded of the refurbishment of the Seaton Library.

Not having been myself since refurbishment, I wondered what others thought of it?

I assume the mobile library still comes to Uplyme and maybe that is the library of choice?

Centre
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: