uplyme.com Forum Index uplyme.com
The Uplyme Debate

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would there be any interest in a "local-market" ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ima.lumberjack.imok

PostPosted: 13/05/11, 10:13    Post subject: Would there be any interest in a "local-market" ? Reply with quote

Hi All, I just finished watching a film called " the economics of happiness"
see here: http://www.theeconomicsofhappiness.org/

it got me thinking, would there be any interest in the holding a a weekly, fortnightly, monthly, local produce market in Uplyme.

It could be perhaps held at / by the village hall / village green. sellers would have to be local ie within 2 to 5 miles of uplyme, and anyone who does grow / make things could sell their wares to other local people to help our own local economy.

advantages:fewer food miles, getting to meet local producers of food & goods, local employment opportunities, less car miles traveled to buy food / goods. raises a few more funds for the Village hall, via paying for a selling pitch.

disadvantages: none that I can see, perhaps I'm wrong, over to you Uplyme, what do you think?

please lets start this debate & see where it leads to...Very Happy

I could sell good dry kindling & perhaps some home produce too.

"ima.lumberjack.imok"
Rev

PostPosted: 13/05/11, 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I like the idea of a market - but I wonder if it would be useful to somehow produce and distribute a map of regular gate produce-sellers. This could go in the Parish Magazine and be posted up around the plave. e.g. eggs, veg, kindling, meat, etc.
geoff

PostPosted: 14/05/11, 09:53    Post subject: Good idea. Reply with quote

I think it's a really good idea. I would sell my honey and hive products at the market.

Perhaps if there was a regular market in a well known place at a well known time each week the garden gate sellers would all sell there as there would be more potential customers ?

G.
Rev

PostPosted: 15/05/11, 06:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense. Village Hall bookings are at a premium though... But, if it was primarily a summer thing, then perhaps it could take place outside in the carpark at the village hall...?
ima.lumberjack.imok

PostPosted: 16/05/11, 09:14    Post subject: so far so good, just a few clarifications Reply with quote

Hi guys thanks for the replies so far, just to clarify, i was aiming for a central location to hold the market, ie: the village hall / green as there is parking available & it is fairly central to most folk.

I like the idea of a List of gatepost sellers, that we should do anyway, even if the idea of an Uplyme Local Produce Market does not take off.

perhaps an editorial in the Parish News? I'd be happy to write it, if need be, with a direction to say, return a stub to someone to collate potential numbers.

c'mon Uplyme, anymore sellers out there? Very Happy

ima.lumberjack.imok
geoff

PostPosted: 16/05/11, 10:48    Post subject: New Forum ? Reply with quote

Lumberjack,

I'm sure Robin would be happy to print the story in the Parish News for you, his email is: parishnews@uplymechurch.org.uk

If it would help, I can set up a new forum for the Uplyme Produce Market here on uplyme.com for people to discuss and swap ideas etc ?

G.
ima.lumberjack.imok

PostPosted: 16/05/11, 12:14    Post subject: Re: New Forum ? Reply with quote

geoff wrote:
Lumberjack,

I'm sure Robin would be happy to print the story in the Parish News for you, his email is: parishnews@uplymechurch.org.uk

If it would help, I can set up a new forum for the Uplyme Produce Market here on uplyme.com for people to discuss and swap ideas etc ?

G.

Hi, I'll email Robin & ask him, thanks for that, the offer of new forum would be good too, thanks for that too.

perhaps, this will get things going,...
Robin

PostPosted: 19/05/11, 22:19    Post subject: Village Market Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Would be happy to plug a local village market in the Parish News. Need articles by the 10th of the month preceding publication, ie: 10th June deadline for July magazine. However, if you were holding it say on 1st Saturday in the month, it would be best to plug it the month before as well, as can't always guarantee the mag is on the streets before 1st of the month.

Robin - (The Maxwell of Uplyme!)
Rev

PostPosted: 24/05/11, 06:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled this off the Turn Lyme Green website...

Lengthy discussion and research has taken place over the past two years to find a suitable site for a farmersí market. So many hurdles to jump. We are pleased that a market has started once a month on the first Sunday during spring and summer at The Town Mill Courtyard. (link to their web site www.townmill.org.uk) Letís all support this event.
And with the re-development of the Shelters along the seafront comes space for more markets from summer 2011. Discussions are underway and any markets giving local producers the chance to sell here in town will be supported and encouraged by Turn Lyme Green. As details become available, they will be featured on this site.
Do let us know if you have any ideas for events to feature local producers and local shops and we will help spread the word.

Love Food, Hate Waste is an campaign adopted by Dorset County Council. The staff involved are always interested to learn about events which they can attend with lots of information and promotional materials.
http://www.dorsetforyou.com/lovefoodhatewaste
geoff

PostPosted: 27/05/11, 11:33    Post subject: Everyone wins ? Reply with quote

In principle farmers' markets always seem like a great idea - the farmer sells direct to the user, cutting out the wholesaler/retailer thereby eliminating two tiers of markups. So in theory this should mean that the farmer gets a bit more for his produce paid in cash and we pay a bit less for the fresher food. Terrific - everyone wins and the food travels less miles and is probably all the fresher for it.

BUT, in practise whenever I have been to a farmers' market the prices always seem to be higher than you usually pay. Isn't the basic idea to provide savings for buyer as well as seller ?

G.
Martyn

PostPosted: 03/06/11, 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff,
You mentioned earlier about your bees.
I've always fancied having a hive in the garden, but know nothing about it.
I don't know how it works, but do you ever find you need someone else's garden to put a hive in?
M
geoff

PostPosted: 03/06/11, 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martyn,

Yes it does happen now and then - especially if you are a little way out of the village.
approximately where are you ?

Cheers,
Geoff.
Martyn

PostPosted: 06/06/11, 08:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom end of Rocombe Road.
You?
I fancied learning last year, but never got round to it. Maybe this would be a good introduction.
Martyn

PostPosted: 06/06/11, 08:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry all, I've taken this thread off-subject.
Back to the local market at the Village Hall - doesn't have to just be a farmers market; I think there might be lots of people, like Geoff, who might want to sell their own wares or crafts.
geoff

PostPosted: 08/06/11, 06:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what happens now ?
G.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    uplyme.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: